Thread poster: Nesrin
Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:35
French to English
+ ...
Retainer's fee? May 14, 2007

Like Vito said, if you're in a seller's market.....

You were asking what to do if this situation comes up often.
I agree with the others that you should be honest and that you have other projects...but always let your client know that he is a priority with you (a little flattery goes very far).

Yet, if this is a situation that comes up often, you might want to think about negotiating with the client 'reserving' the time in advance.
This idea has been batted
... See more
Like Vito said, if you're in a seller's market.....

You were asking what to do if this situation comes up often.
I agree with the others that you should be honest and that you have other projects...but always let your client know that he is a priority with you (a little flattery goes very far).

Yet, if this is a situation that comes up often, you might want to think about negotiating with the client 'reserving' the time in advance.
This idea has been batted back and forth in other posts a while back, but it seems that most people don't do this...or maybe don't dare propose it to their clients.
But, on the contrary, some clients with ongoing projects would welcome the idea.

I am on retainer for one client, which means that I am paid a minimum for my reserved time, and more if there is the need with specific projects. This doesn't necessarily mean that I am constantly working either. So it's a win-win situation for everyone.

Am I the only one who does this?

[Edited at 2007-05-14 15:26]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When clients count on you

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »