Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
May 14, 2007

An agency contacted me. They state, that they are not a translation agency, but translation is only one step when compiling large technical manuals.
They seem to have no own translator base and are going to devide a large urgent project into chapters, which will be translated by different freelancers. There is no glossary for the project, no TM, no database.

Somehow this agency seems not very trustworthy. I guess they will pay though alright. Would you go for it?
How wou
... See more
An agency contacted me. They state, that they are not a translation agency, but translation is only one step when compiling large technical manuals.
They seem to have no own translator base and are going to devide a large urgent project into chapters, which will be translated by different freelancers. There is no glossary for the project, no TM, no database.

Somehow this agency seems not very trustworthy. I guess they will pay though alright. Would you go for it?
How would you feel translating along, knowing that others are translating the other chapters without coordination?

Any thoughts?

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:55
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Offer both services... translation and editing May 14, 2007

You could offer them two separate services, translation and language editing...

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:55
Dutch to English
+ ...
Offer a project coordination service May 14, 2007

If you're interested in the job otherwise, why not educate the client and offer a project coordination service (as a sort of team leader) at an additional fee or suggest they appoint one of the other senior translators to oversee the team.

Explain the need for consistent terminology, final editing to ensure consistency etc.

If they seem disinterested, then I'd say avoid the job, they aren't professionals - but at the moment, it may simply be ignorance on their side with
... See more
If you're interested in the job otherwise, why not educate the client and offer a project coordination service (as a sort of team leader) at an additional fee or suggest they appoint one of the other senior translators to oversee the team.

Explain the need for consistent terminology, final editing to ensure consistency etc.

If they seem disinterested, then I'd say avoid the job, they aren't professionals - but at the moment, it may simply be ignorance on their side with them not having a translation background.

Perhaps they've already decided to appoint an editor but at least if you specifically enquire you'll have peace of mind. But stress how more effectively everyone could work if glossaries were shared as you go along rather than leaving it all up to a single editor after the fact, etc.

Finally, obviously take the precautions regarding payment as you would do with a direct client/new agency.

Just a few ideas
Debs

[Edited at 2007-05-14 16:11]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
They definitely have a mission... May 14, 2007

... to fulfill (or call it a job). Its a different kind of risk alright. But you may say later on, you were there from the very first moment...

Ps: but check their (financial/business) background anyhow...

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Asked for advance payment May 15, 2007

Last evening they sent me their PO, even though I had not agreed to anything. Now I asked for advance payment. This outsourcer seems to be unknown to freelancers.
On my inquiries regarding translation coordination they answer, that because of the tight schedule they will not emphasise terminology control!
They had my informations since 4 weeks, but contacted me only yesterday!
I'd rather not work for them, but let's see, what happens.

Regards
Heinrich

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Of course May 15, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
answer, that because of the tight schedule they will not emphasise terminology control!
Regards
Heinrich

If it is an advertisement agency, for instance, or a communications agency, it's up to you to do that, and deliver a product ready to be published. And besides, project management has a cost. It takes time and you will be responsible. Asking for advance payment is a good thing, but be sure that you are delivering high quality.
Do you have an insurance?

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I refused May 15, 2007

They refused advanced payment, but offered to pay in pieces, according to how much I deliver. That's of course still worse from the point of quality. Usually you decide part of the terminology at the end of the work, when you understand everything (hopefully).
So I felt relief when sending in my refusal.
Cheers
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-translation agencies

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »