Thread poster: Nadja Balogh
wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 08:46
Family has priority Nov 7, 2007

Nadja Balogh wrote:

Hi everybody,

Though I don't have kids yet, this is bound to change sooner or later, and I'm very curious to hear about the experiences of those of you working at home with small kids or babies around.

How do you manage to maintain your concentration? What are your typical working hours? Is it possible at all to find time and energy for translation right after a baby was born? Though your answers are not going to influence my decision to have kids I'd appreciate it to hear your opinion on this.

In order to have a gemütlich family life, it is highly advisable to consider my following suggestions:

1. Work under the motto: I work to keep me on the ball. Because as a part-time translator in Germany, you won't be able to make significant contribution to your family financially.

2. Don't try to please all clients, say "no" to tough deadlines and jobs coming in unfavorable time.

3. Don't try to be outstanding. "Good" is enough. An ambitious translator and a good mom do conflict with each other.

I am a mother of 2 girls, 7 and 11. I am happy with translation jobs because they broaden my horizon constantly, as if I were still at school. That's all.

Bin aus Regensburg

[Edited at 2007-11-07 10:20]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
German to English
+ ...
Another option: stay-at-home dad Nov 7, 2007

I am a full-time translator with 2 girls ages 4 and 8. I took 3 mos. maternity leave each time and then my husband stayed home to take care of them. This was an opportunity that arose due to our work situations at the time, but it has turned out to be a great choice. I have been able to support the family, and during these last few years he has gone back to school to become a teacher.

I would not have been able to work at home and be responsible for the kids all day, at least not i
... See more
I am a full-time translator with 2 girls ages 4 and 8. I took 3 mos. maternity leave each time and then my husband stayed home to take care of them. This was an opportunity that arose due to our work situations at the time, but it has turned out to be a great choice. I have been able to support the family, and during these last few years he has gone back to school to become a teacher.

I would not have been able to work at home and be responsible for the kids all day, at least not if I had to make any significant amount of money. We also had one calm, quiet baby, and one constantly on the move. As it was, the active one managed to turn off my computer in the middle of a job a few times!

It's nice that we have both been available to the children when they needed us. We did have them participate in preschool programs, too, so that they could make friends (in the process, we also made good friends) and have time with other children.

It'll be interesting to see how our arrangement changes next year when my husband is working full-time - I will be the one taking on more childcare responsibilities than I ever have, so I'm more thankful than ever to have this flexible job.
Collapse

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
Grateful to sit down! Nov 8, 2007

My work is the only time I get to sit down (except for any time I spend driving). I'm grateful most days to close that door and switch gears!

My son is 28 months old and extremely active. He's now in preschool from 8:30 to 2:30. After that, if I'm on deadline, his dad (who also works part-time) is Chief Caretaker. If not, I try to plan an Adventure for our afternoon together.

It can be quite difficult to explain to a two-year-old who wants needs loves your undivided a
... See more
My work is the only time I get to sit down (except for any time I spend driving). I'm grateful most days to close that door and switch gears!

My son is 28 months old and extremely active. He's now in preschool from 8:30 to 2:30. After that, if I'm on deadline, his dad (who also works part-time) is Chief Caretaker. If not, I try to plan an Adventure for our afternoon together.

It can be quite difficult to explain to a two-year-old who wants needs loves your undivided attention that you're not just ignoring him. He doesn't care that your income makes his preschool, doctor visits, groceries, etc. a reality. He just knows that Mumma's home, but she won't open the door.

And I also waited almost three months before starting to work again. Boy, was I happy to get back to it. It was really good to get my frontal lobes working again!

Good luck to you!

[Edited at 2007-11-08 18:37]
Collapse

Kelly O'Connor
Kelly O'Connor  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
doable with persistence Nov 16, 2007

Nadja Balogh wrote:

Thanks everybody for your stories. All in all it sounds like I've imagined it would (I have two brothers much younger than me, so I have some ideas about how kids are like).

In fact, one of the reasons I always wanted to be a translator was the possibilty to see my kids grow up around me without having to be "only" a housewife.

I've been translating for 8 years and have a 13-year old, 11-year old, and 6-year old so I've had small kids around me while working forever. What's more, my workstation was in the hall and then in the living room !

It is doable but I am infinitely more productive now with all three kids in school and a real office in our new home. As someone mentioned, concentration can be trained. I can work through just about any noise but my proofread has to be done with some semblance of quiet in the evening or early morning. I get up at least an hour before the kids wake up to get some quality quiet time, but the rest was catch as catch can and earplugs!

Good luck and don't despair!

Kelly

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation and little kids

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »