Corresponding writing in your "source" language and sounding professional
Thread poster: Deborah Hoffman
Deborah Hoffman
Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 14:22
Russian to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2007

I can't be the only one with this problem...I translate Russian to English and have done mostly literary and academic projects. Because so few publishers possess Russian I often find myself in the position of doing a lot of doing back and forth with authors or authors representatives, which requires me to write in my non-native language about issues that can sometimes be a little ticklish. I don't want my emails to be "perfect" and I don't mind that they don't sound completely native - they're n... See more
I can't be the only one with this problem...I translate Russian to English and have done mostly literary and academic projects. Because so few publishers possess Russian I often find myself in the position of doing a lot of doing back and forth with authors or authors representatives, which requires me to write in my non-native language about issues that can sometimes be a little ticklish. I don't want my emails to be "perfect" and I don't mind that they don't sound completely native - they're not - but I do wish to avoid transgressing social cues and/or making really flagrant usage errors that just don't sound right.

Publishers aside it's just something that comes up when I need to consult with an author for whatever reason. I'm no longer in school and feel bad bothering my former Russian classmates to check over an email for me.

What do other people do if or when you have to write back and forth in your second language? Do you have someone checking it for you or just hope for the best?

If there is another forum where people trade editing help back and forth to help each other like this, please let me know! I would be glad to look at anyone's emails in English in exchange for Russian.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:22
Italian to English
+ ...
I ask my partner Dec 13, 2007

I know exactly how you feel, my written Italian is fine when it comes to everyday emails but pretty useless in formal stuff. I'm lucky that my partner is Italian, so when I need to write something a little controversial ("no, I don't give discounts for large volumes, however much you try to insist", for instance) I get my partner to check it over to make sure it won't cause offence.

Anyway, even though I don't need it myself, I think your idea of an editing "swap shop" is excellent
... See more
I know exactly how you feel, my written Italian is fine when it comes to everyday emails but pretty useless in formal stuff. I'm lucky that my partner is Italian, so when I need to write something a little controversial ("no, I don't give discounts for large volumes, however much you try to insist", for instance) I get my partner to check it over to make sure it won't cause offence.

Anyway, even though I don't need it myself, I think your idea of an editing "swap shop" is excellent - why don't you suggest it in the Proz.com suggestions forum? Or maybe in the translator coop section? I don't know how it would work, but I'm sure there are lots of us who'd be happy to lend a hand and/or get some help in this respect.
Collapse

Evgenia Mussuri
Evgenia Mussuri
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
I could trade some Dec 13, 2007

editing with you, Deborah. You can drop me a line to my email address.

Shannon Jimenez
Shannon Jimenez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:22
Spanish to English
I ask my husband Dec 14, 2007

I, too, know how you feel. I find writing in formal Spanish difficult-- like most Americans, I tend to jump right to the point, which can come accross as rude in Spanish. I ask my husband to edit most of my e-mails, but I occasionally ask a Spanish-speaking grad student friend when the context is more academic, since my husband never went to college in a Spanish-speaking country.

I would be happy to participate in an editing-exchange with others rather than having to impose upon my
... See more
I, too, know how you feel. I find writing in formal Spanish difficult-- like most Americans, I tend to jump right to the point, which can come accross as rude in Spanish. I ask my husband to edit most of my e-mails, but I occasionally ask a Spanish-speaking grad student friend when the context is more academic, since my husband never went to college in a Spanish-speaking country.

I would be happy to participate in an editing-exchange with others rather than having to impose upon my friends, though!

~Shannon
Collapse

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
I use Google etc. Dec 14, 2007

When writing a formal Japanese letter or email, I frequently turn to Google for some inspiration. There are lots of nice phrases to be found - but then, Japanese depends very much on the correct use of certain fixed phrases, and this is probably not what you're looking.

Still, I find it quite exhausting, especially if I do not know the client well.

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great idea Deborah! Dec 14, 2007

I know how you feel.

I have only one client who speaks Spanish, so whenever I need to ellaborate some concept, like when I have to explain some choice of terminology, I keep looking up in Google the phrases I intend to use so as not to make serious grammar mistakes o sound old fashioned. The best method I`ve found is to keep the sentences simple and short.

When I want to post in these fora, for instance, I keep revising what I´ve written over and over again.
So I
... See more
I know how you feel.

I have only one client who speaks Spanish, so whenever I need to ellaborate some concept, like when I have to explain some choice of terminology, I keep looking up in Google the phrases I intend to use so as not to make serious grammar mistakes o sound old fashioned. The best method I`ve found is to keep the sentences simple and short.

When I want to post in these fora, for instance, I keep revising what I´ve written over and over again.
So I think that some kind of revision exchange woul be great.
Regards
Marina

PS: for English native speakers - please feel free to correct my mistakes.
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
And what if your client is in a hurry? Dec 14, 2007

What if you need to answer real quick?
If they decide to give you a call?

Everybody knows my native language is Dutch, and if I have to write or say anything in another language (besides English), I always say something along the lines of: Look, I'm trying really hard, and I'm doing this to please you, but this is really the best I can do. My apologies if I make serious mistakes.
And if I've established some kind o
... See more
What if you need to answer real quick?
If they decide to give you a call?

Everybody knows my native language is Dutch, and if I have to write or say anything in another language (besides English), I always say something along the lines of: Look, I'm trying really hard, and I'm doing this to please you, but this is really the best I can do. My apologies if I make serious mistakes.
And if I've established some kind of comfortable relationship, I sometimes invite them to correct my mistakes. No problem.
Collapse

Josée Desbiens
Josée Desbiens
Canada
English to French
Happy to see I am not alone... Dec 14, 2007

I do translate from English to French-Canadian and I feel so stupid when an English client of mine call me when I am in the middle of something else (let's say doing the laundry or preparing dinner for instance). I sometimes have a hard time switching to my secund language while trying to look professional. It is easier by mail. At least, I can check in my dictionaries. People tend to think that we do speak as fluently in our secund language as we do in our native one...

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
For me it's the opposite! Dec 14, 2007

Josée Desbiens wrote:

I do translate from English to French-Canadian and I feel so stupid when an English client of mine call me when I am in the middle of something else (let's say doing the laundry or preparing dinner for instance). I sometimes have a hard time switching to my secund language while trying to look professional. It is easier by mail. At least, I can check in my dictionaries. People tend to think that we do speak as fluently in our secund language as we do in our native one...

I speak Italian far more fluently than I write it - I speak in Italian far more than I do in English.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:22
English to Thai
+ ...
Documented communication Dec 15, 2007

I demand e-mail or documented communication for critical matters. THis will prevent further dispute about the job or payment later.
This idea is applied to both mother language and the second language.
Regards,
SL

bububu
bububu  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
I can help, if you want... Dec 15, 2007

I have a problem with articles in English, and sometimes ask my son to check the most important emails. :0)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corresponding writing in your "source" language and sounding professional

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »