Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: more projects and more troubles....
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Take the reins Jan 26, 2008

Brandis wrote:

each time when I wish to take a 2 week off for a shore I get so many projects and linked troubles, does it happen to you as well. I wish to go on a holiday and untroubled . Brandis. How to avoid this syndrom, it becomes a professional habit of not letting to go a customer dissatisfied because you are on a holiday mood, and continue and welll.... it continues. ...this is a terrible situation.

Hi Brandis,
Tell your clients in advance when your office will be closed. Give specific dates and ditch the mobile/laptop while you are away. Don't combine work and holidays. It never works out. And don't take on more work than you can handle. Grab it by the proverbials: yes, we're service providers, but most decent clients will respect our need for a break.

Best,
Amy

PS I think some of the comments here are a bit out of order.

[Edited at 2008-01-26 13:23]

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:07
German to English
+ ...
dissemination route Jan 26, 2008

Hi Brandis,
How are you going to distribute your book? Do you have a publisher lined up or are you going to print, bind and mail copies yourself? I presume even password-protected PDFs are too dodgy. Which languages is it going to be published in?

BTW, I've been wondering, what is "for a shore"?
Brandis wrote:
each time when I wish to take a 2 week off for a shore

Cheers,
Jill

[Edited at 2008-01-26 13:43]

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 08:07
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Whoa... Jan 26, 2008

is it me, or is this the most surreal forum thread to hit ProZ in a while?

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The distribution has to be strategic... Jan 26, 2008

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Hi Brandis,
How are you going to distribute your book? Do you have a publisher lined up or are you going to print, bind and mail copies yourself? I presume even password-protected PDFs are too dodgy. Which languages is it going to be published in?

BTW, I've been wondering, what is "for a shore"?
Brandis wrote:
each time when I wish to take a 2 week off for a shore

Cheers,
Jill

[Edited at 2008-01-26 13:43]
I was wondering more about the title for the book. Begginner´s guide to Trados is too obvious, but may be something trados and nirvana. Take off for a shore, I meant to say to go to a beach place. Dis tribution will not be on a paper printed type, but more electronic way link with paypal or so. Spanish, Italian, french, Hindi, and ofcourse german. We have now applied for ISBN with a few to reserve the right to print and distribute at book stores. But that involves too much foot work, we are also consulting various publishers, all that is probably going to take place. We are now generating a master document and there will be book issues covering various versions. We are still in the process of considering various options to be able to reach as many interested as possible around the globe. Brandis

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thank you for clarifying that Jan 26, 2008

Brandis wrote:

and does it for our team and participates in the earning, that is all. Brandis

Because your first posting made no sense at all.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We have been working on this project may be over a year... Jan 26, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Brandis wrote:

and does it for our team and participates in the earning, that is all. Brandis

Because your first posting made no sense at all.
Surely as a free lancing translator I do not have that kind of energy and money to invest, so I make them partners. The master document alone was over 3000 pages, we had to multiple revisions cut here and there and bring it to this form. In this process and the regular translation work at onetime I did not leave my room for a full week. That is when I had posted the initial thread. The book is over now, looks good and we now have the feeling of accomplishment. Actually once the final marketing strategy is complete and we agree to a common way of modus operandi, I guess I will then really do that final step and take a break. Brandis

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Golly gosh! Jan 26, 2008

Brandis wrote:

The master document alone was over 3000 pages, we had to multiple revisions cut here and there and bring it to this form.

3,000 pages saved as a Word document? That's impressive, given that the Concise Oxford Dictionary boasts but a paltry 1,300-odd pages.

Duplex printing on rice paper and reducing font sizes could be a contribution towards reducing both your postal overhead and destruction of rain forests. Good luck with the project and do keep us posted.

Cheers
Chris

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not all 3000 pages as one document Jan 26, 2008

Textklick wrote:

Brandis wrote:

The master document alone was over 3000 pages, we had to multiple revisions cut here and there and bring it to this form.

3,000 pages saved as a Word document? That's impressive, given that the Concise Oxford Dictionary boasts but a paltry 1,300-odd pages.

Duplex printing on rice paper and reducing font sizes could be a contribution towards reducing both your postal overhead and destruction of rain forests. Good luck with the project and do keep us posted.

Cheers
Chris
But individual chapters as books and interlinked them with hyperlinks. At such a volume one would lose overview. We had infact tried to cover starting trados version 3.0, but later cancelled the idea, because after 20 years this version is no more relevant. Parts of the volume contain also multiterm, then later we have decided the idea may not fit the budget. Once we had so much of material starting Trados version 5. through trados 2006, we had again cut it short to individual books and versions, so that the initial book gives an overlook and the grips and where to find what and how to style. We have then reserved the rest of the content for a later version or an advanced version of the book as a follow up. That would then be the next step. Brandis

Mira Stepanovic
Mira Stepanovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Right! Jan 26, 2008

Textklick wrote:

Brandis wrote:

Cheers
Chris

Rice paper and reducing font sizes - that is a wonderful idea indeed.

I would wholeheartedly suggest including a free magnifying glass if you go for those teeny-weeny fonts that just might do the trick.

Mira

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
re Trados versions Jan 26, 2008

Looks like you'll have plenty of work in the future if Trados continues to launch a new version every year. Judging by the number of Trados posts by Proz members, such a book will be a big hit. How much do you reckon you'll charge for it?

[Edited at 2008-01-26 15:55]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hard to assess and set any pricing now.. Jan 26, 2008

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Looks like you'll have plenty of work in the future if Trados continues to launch a new version every year. Judging by the number of Trados posts by Proz members, such a book will be a big hit. How much do you reckon you'll charge for it?

[Edited at 2008-01-26 15:55]
We have considered a printed book issue and cancelled it, because it is time consuming and much foot work is involved. These days e-books are also getting ISBN entries. So that may be feasible and easy, this way however easy it may sound it involves also some work. We may also go by language pair and make the book available in the target country, but all of us hang together like a big bunch, meaning someone in the target country must take over the trouble of marketing. But we are also looking at some encryption software not like a .pdf encryption with a password, but a few variants have suggested that a buyer could buy and a key can be generated fitting his local comp site id. This way one would be able to use and the product is not portable to another comp and it cannot be printed either. So no one can copy. We are thinking to set the book size of about 120-200 pages. The first edition itself is after many cuts and patches has come to about 125 pages with index etc., We have hence not fixed any price yet, but I guess it will certainly not a big price. Brandis

[Edited at 2008-01-26 16:21]

[Edited at 2008-01-26 16:39]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've missed a few. Jan 26, 2008

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

I don't see all threads, but this one has to be right up there.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hmmm ... Jan 26, 2008

There is so much Trados support out there already, what makes this book so special? What gap will it fill in the market when most things can be sorted out easily with the manual/via forums etc anyhow? I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Trados at the basic levels (you mentioned it was a book for beginners)

Isn't it just a rehash of the manual in actual effect? I mean what added-value can there possibly be that would make someone want to part with their €€€�
... See more
There is so much Trados support out there already, what makes this book so special? What gap will it fill in the market when most things can be sorted out easily with the manual/via forums etc anyhow? I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Trados at the basic levels (you mentioned it was a book for beginners)

Isn't it just a rehash of the manual in actual effect? I mean what added-value can there possibly be that would make someone want to part with their €€€€s?

[Edited at 2008-01-26 18:53]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:07
English to French
+ ...
I was just about wondering about the same... Jan 26, 2008

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

Makes me think I am probably not a member of the secret society who uses the code language used in this thread. I am amazed at the number of things I don't understand here, while others seem to understand very well...

Now, Brandis, the best thing you can do is basically what Amy says. However, I somehow get the feeling that your clients ask you to work again on things you have already finished. It seems they either twist your arm into helping them more, at no cost maybe, and you miss out on stuff because of this - or you are simply taking on too much work and you don't have the kind of capacities you think you have.

Make sure that when it says "deadline this Monday" on the calendar, that you really do send off everything to the client and invoice them while you're at it (usually, an invoice makes the end of work official - it means you have done everything you agreed to do and you are done with the project). Make sure EVERYTHING you had to do is done, and well done, so your client doesn't need to contact you again until they have new work for you. You have to learn the meaning of the word "finished", and use that word, and give yourself plenty of occasions to use it.

All the best!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually not... Jan 27, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Isn't it just a rehash of the manual in actual effect? I mean what added-value can there possibly be that would make someone want to part with their €€€€s?

[Edited at 2008-01-26 18:53]
We are probably going to price it moderately and give graphical overview of the working with some explanation etc., Additionally we have been also discussing in our group whether we should introduce interactive workshop recordings in form or a video as added effect,so that the product is more visual. Most of the translators still use only till 2006 or the former variants and only lately the sp2 for trados 2007 has been released, but the mass still does not have trados 2006. So we thought to include one non-uni and one uni code supported version such as trados 6.5.5 and the early versions 7.1 or so, from here the follow up packs will continue with unicode supported editions. We have tried a physical workshop offer but long communiting distances hotel stays etc., make that approach expensive both for the trainer and the student / participant as well. Then we had deployed this idea to yugma ( a tool from www.yugma.com) and took initial interactive workshop recordings later improved upon them. I for example know that trados is not so popular or widely used in non western language groups. Where there is still much demand there, with the advent of uni-code supported variants one would actualyl be in a position to translate in a couple of more languages. So considering these the pocket book or the entry workshop manual with video could be a solution. Well we have tried it and experimented with few university linguistic students the effect was amazing, they were getting on faster than imagined. With the issue of the video we still have to take permissions to publish from the participants, then only it can function. Else it will look less genuine if we simulate a workshop for the video alone. once Vista and later ms-windows and office editions are become riper products and we are not perpetually confronted with newer service packs and guess work to get to the solution while translating, our variant is still a good supprt and we can always still upgrade to newer editions. Infact we already have material here, but we have to find a beginning somewhere and there is nothing secretive about it .Brandis

[Edited at 2008-01-27 03:24]

[Edited at 2008-01-27 07:26]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

more projects and more troubles....

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »