fistuk
fistuk
Israel
Local time: 11:59
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Mar 28, 2015

Dear all,

Quoting the second line in the opening paragraph of the novel: "ইংরেজি ছাঁদে রায় পদবী 'রয়' ও 'রে'
রূপান্তর যখন ধারণ করলে তখন তার শ্রী গেল ঘুচে কিন্তু সংখ্যা হল বৃদ্ধি।", there seems to be disagreement among
translators regarding the meaning/interpretation of সংখ্যা:

On the web-b
... See more
Dear all,

Quoting the second line in the opening paragraph of the novel: "ইংরেজি ছাঁদে রায় পদবী 'রয়' ও 'রে'
রূপান্তর যখন ধারণ করলে তখন তার শ্রী গেল ঘুচে কিন্তু সংখ্যা হল বৃদ্ধি।", there seems to be disagreement among
translators regarding the meaning/interpretation of সংখ্যা:

On the web-blog animikhRabindranath I've found the following translation:
"When the surname Rai took on an English feel and became ‘Roy’ and ‘Ray’
it lost its appeal but grew longer."

The web-blog swansong, however, translates this as: "When, moulded in the English cast, his
surname transfigured into Ray and Roy, the rubric was rubbed, but it summed up to more."

Finally, in his translation of the novel dating back to 2011, Dilip Basu writes: "His surname 'Rai' is usually spelt 'Roy'
or 'Ray', robbing it of the elegance of the Bengali spelling. Amit joined the multitude of others bearing that surname."

Could anyone shed light on this matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

runinnan
runinnan
Bangladesh
Local time: 15:59
Bengali to English
+ ...
Rabindranath Mar 30, 2015

Translating শেষের কবিতা। When I read Rabindranath's writing, I feel a certain amount of pity for the people who don't understand Bangla at all! This is to augment my statement that transliteration of any of his works is almost foolish, as it may never reach to an acceptable standard of his feelings in his works.
অমিত রায় ব্যারিস্টার। ইংরেজি ছাঁদে রায় পদবী "রয়" ও "রে" রূপান্
... See more
Translating শেষের কবিতা। When I read Rabindranath's writing, I feel a certain amount of pity for the people who don't understand Bangla at all! This is to augment my statement that transliteration of any of his works is almost foolish, as it may never reach to an acceptable standard of his feelings in his works.
অমিত রায় ব্যারিস্টার। ইংরেজি ছাঁদে রায় পদবী "রয়" ও "রে" রূপান্তর যখন ধারণ করলে তখন তার শ্রী গেল ঘুচে কিন্তু সংখ্যা হল বৃদ্ধি। এই কারণে, নামের অসামান্যতা কামনা করে অমিত এমন একটি বানান বানালে যাতে ইংরেজ বন্ধু ও বন্ধুনীদের মুখে তার উচ্চারণ দাঁড়িয়ে গেল-- অমিট রায়ে।

Amit Ray (spelling raaye) is a barrister. Styled in English when his surname Raaye became Roy or Ray, then its beauty got lost but increased in volume.
Collapse

fistuk
fistuk
Israel
Local time: 11:59
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Mar 31, 2015

Thank you very much runinnan, your interpretation of সংখ্যা in
this context makes perfect sense.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Help with the 1st paragraph of Tagore's novel শেষের কবিতা

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »