John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:41
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Address verification Jan 5, 2018

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

If they choose that option and pay, the Proz system will print a postcard with a random code, which will be snail-mailed to the address they provided. When the agency receives that postcard and enters that code on the proper page on Proz, their record will be labeled as "address verified".

Excellent idea. This system works for banks and government agencies so should be relatively easy for Proz.com, coupled with a nominal cost-recovery fee.

Companies can have a variety of reasons for using a PO Box. I once dealt with a company in Panama, who explained that their town did not have postal service, they had to travel to Tocumen once in a while to pick up the mail. So putting their address anywhere only confused matters. I found out when I mailed a hard copy of an invoice to their street address - 2 months later it was returned by the post office as undeliverable.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:41
French to English
Simple solution Jan 5, 2018

Assuming this is a registered company, then somewhere, there is an official trace of that and there will be an official street address. You might need to fiddle around in the small print areas of their website or elsewhere, but sooner or later you will find the name of the company and its address. Note that some companies have a trading/business name that is different from the formal company name. That too can usually be found with a little feretting around.

[Edited at 2018-01-05 17:19 G
... See more
Assuming this is a registered company, then somewhere, there is an official trace of that and there will be an official street address. You might need to fiddle around in the small print areas of their website or elsewhere, but sooner or later you will find the name of the company and its address. Note that some companies have a trading/business name that is different from the formal company name. That too can usually be found with a little feretting around.

[Edited at 2018-01-05 17:19 GMT]
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Info. Jan 6, 2018

Michael Newton wrote:

They declined to provide the information even after I asked them to.
Ikken rakuchaku (case closed)

Well, it would have helped had you mentioned that in your original post.

You never said you had asked and they refused.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
A Times Square PO box address would make me suspicious Jan 6, 2018

I'm not surprised they refused to give you contact information. Times Square is not exactly an office or residential area. Sounds like they picked up a PO box address on the cheap.
However in order to post a job, they had to give Proz the following:
Post a job
Step 1
Describe your jobStep 2
Budget and confirmation

Job type
Translation/editing/proofing job
This category is for standard copy translation, edit work or proof reading.
Pot
... See more
I'm not surprised they refused to give you contact information. Times Square is not exactly an office or residential area. Sounds like they picked up a PO box address on the cheap.
However in order to post a job, they had to give Proz the following:
Post a job
Step 1
Describe your jobStep 2
Budget and confirmation

Job type
Translation/editing/proofing job
This category is for standard copy translation, edit work or proof reading.
Potential job
The potential job category is for outsourcers who have upcoming or possible jobs that need to find more service providers before they can acquire the job.
Interpreting job
Interpreting jobs differ from normal translation jobs in that the service provider is on-site, performing oral translation.

* indicates a required field.
Your contact information
Make sure you provide full and accurate contact details as required by job posting rules. Your job may be removed by site staff if information does not comply with these rules.

Keep in mind that information entered for your job will be visible to site staff even when you do not chose to show it publicly.
* First name
Show publicly
* Last name
* Representation I am a freelancer
I represent a company
URL
Show publicly
Include http://
* Email address
Show publicly
* Address
Show publicly
* City
Show publicly
State/region/province
Show publicly
* Postal code
Show publicly
* Country Show publicly
* Phone number
Show publicly
Preferred format: +country-code (area/city code) 12345678 ext123
Fax number
Show publicly
Preferred format: +country-code (area/city code) 12345678 ext123
Use this contact information for future job postings

They have the option to show it publicly or not BUT Proz apparently does have the info. I would send a support request to the Proz site staff.
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Require payment in advance Jan 6, 2018

And everyone will be happy.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transparency of Translation Agencies

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »