ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:31
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 31, 2018

Hello,
Me again with another (surely stupid) question:
How do I make sure that only the latest version is saved in the memory?
Example: I translated a file X, saved the memory under the name X.TMX and then translated another file Y, using the very same memory. After doing some research, I changed my translation X slightly and saved X.TMX again. So when I open file Y, how can I update this translation according to the newer version of X.TMX? Are all older entries saved as well?
... See more
Hello,
Me again with another (surely stupid) question:
How do I make sure that only the latest version is saved in the memory?
Example: I translated a file X, saved the memory under the name X.TMX and then translated another file Y, using the very same memory. After doing some research, I changed my translation X slightly and saved X.TMX again. So when I open file Y, how can I update this translation according to the newer version of X.TMX? Are all older entries saved as well? (I would rather like to update / elimate older entries.)
Thanks for shedding some light on these questions!
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TM options Jul 31, 2018

Hello,

To check the available TM options, please review: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/3-TM-options#tm-options

You can also review the available actions in the
... See more
Hello,

To check the available TM options, please review: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/3-TM-options#tm-options

You can also review the available actions in the Memory menu: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/2-Menu-and-Interface#memory

So, what I suggest:

- Right click inside the Translation memory pane you wish to check, and select Options. This will open the TM options dialog described in detail in the above link.
- Check which option of the following is selected for this TM:
-Keep all duplicates = Select this if you want CafeTran to keep both newer and older identical source segments in the memory.
-Keep newer duplicates = Select this if you want CafeTran to overwrite old Translation Units (segments) when you add a new translation for the same TU.
-Keep old duplicates = Select this if you want CafeTran to ignore new identical source Translation Units which are already present in the memory.

You probably want to use "Keep newer duplicates" in this case.

With this option enabled, when you save a segment that already exists in the TM, the old version is replaced with the new one.

To apply this to all segments at once when you have finished your translation (and replace old with new duplicates), go to Memory > Import > Import segments from project and select the memory you wish to import to. Warning: This only works as intended if you have the "Keep newer duplicates" option selected.

- A more general method for creating a completely up-to-date project memory out of the current project, is to go to Project > Export > To TMX. See here: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/2-Menu-and-Interface#project--export-and-exchange-submenu

Project > Export and exchange > To TMX memory = This saves all segment pairs (including locked segments) as a TMX translation memory. The exported TMX takes into account the filtered segments.

[Edited at 2018-07-31 12:52 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:31
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 31, 2018

Thanks a lot for your answer. I appreciate your help very much.
Best regards!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Latest version of the memory

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »