Copy/paste or rewrite - Which is faster?
Thread poster: Titus Haennni
Titus Haennni
Titus Haennni  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:41
English to French
+ ...
Apr 9, 2015

Hi All,

I have for some time been thinking about this: is it faster to copy/paste or to just rewrite?
Humm is it off-topic? Almost, but I guess it is linked to actual translation practice.

It may often happen that even though the CAT software doesn't give you an insertable hit, a whole fragment is already translated a few TUs above, or a useful fragment is in a TM match, in MQ for instance. Or a part of the source can just be copied... So sometimes I'll go copy-an
... See more
Hi All,

I have for some time been thinking about this: is it faster to copy/paste or to just rewrite?
Humm is it off-topic? Almost, but I guess it is linked to actual translation practice.

It may often happen that even though the CAT software doesn't give you an insertable hit, a whole fragment is already translated a few TUs above, or a useful fragment is in a TM match, in MQ for instance. Or a part of the source can just be copied... So sometimes I'll go copy-and-paste it.

Anyhow, my feeling is that it's quicker to copy-paste, but I've grown unsure that it actually is. I mean, after all these years, I can type pretty swiftly. And even if ctrl-c and ctrl-v per se are very quick, going to the fragment, the business of selecting it, then finding the right insertion point, all that takes time.

How do you guys feel about it?

I wish I could time myself, but I would need four hands (or 3 at least)
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 10:41
English to Indonesian
+ ...
The right CAT tool Apr 9, 2015

DrAT2 wrote:
And even if ctrl-c and ctrl-v per se are very quick, going to the fragment, the business of selecting it, then finding the right insertion point, all that takes time.

A decent CAT tool will automatically insert found (sub)segments if you tell it to do just that, or retrieve the words from the TM for Auto-Completing what you are typing.

Cheers,

Hans

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I also switch Apr 9, 2015

DrAT2 wrote:
Anyhow, my feeling is that it's quicker to copy-paste, but I've grown unsure that it actually is. I mean, after all these years, I can type pretty swiftly. And even if ctrl-c and ctrl-v per se are very quick, going to the fragment, the business of selecting it, then finding the right insertion point, all that takes time.

I fully agree. I sometimes copy/paste, sometimes I use the concordancer (which has a selection insertion shortcut), and sometimes I retype, whichever seems quicker at the time. Certain key combinations seem to require more effort to type and I would rather copy/paste those, even though strictly speaking it may actually be faster to type it. It also depends on where the other text is, i.e. how fast I can get my cursor to it to copy/paste it. And it depends on what shortcuts are available (e.g. in Trados, I can't use Shift+Delete, so I retype more often in Trados than in e.g. Wordfast). If a phrase is recurring but doesn't get matched, I add it to the glossary so that I can insert it using the glossary shortcut.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 03:41
Japanese to English
Depends on the length Apr 9, 2015

If it's a short segment I just type it out manually. If it's a long sentence or something with numbers where I don't want to make a mistake I just copy it.
It happens with Trados sometimes, just because the software has no way of knowing that words and phrases like わかんない、分からない and わかりません or 素敵です and すてきです are all saying the same thing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy/paste or rewrite - Which is faster?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »