Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
I have one CAT tool that I consider the best, but...
Thread poster: José J. Martínez
Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 18:39
Slovak to English
Not on planet Gates, apparently Jul 14, 2015

Recently rehashed clip from an old Letterman show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5HZMnH3oj4

Just as funny 10 years later

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What is your question? Jul 16, 2015

José J. Martínez wrote:

Mi CAT tool is the one that starts with a W.... I can mention it if allowed. However the majority of the jobs that appear want the one that starts with S, T or Q... The W tool is supposed to be compatible.

Maybe it is me, maybe it is because it is already late here, so my excuses in advance. I read the whole forum, all the answers, but what is it you want to know?

[Edited at 2015-07-16 22:46 GMT]

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
German to English
+ ...
1. BSOD. 2. tmx, 3. Cleanup Jul 16, 2015

englishpartner wrote:
Recently rehashed clip from an old Letterman show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5HZMnH3oj4
Just as funny 10 years later
Yes, I laughed when I watched it today. Interestingly (perhaps!) my computer (running Windows XP) had a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) when I restarted it this evening, but it was OK after I forced a power-off (with the press-button) and then rebooted.

I sometimes receive jobs from a translation company that uses Trados, and I don't. They send me existing TMs saved by Trados in .tmx format, and WordFast Classic can open them and convert them into its own format.

Regarding Cleanup: I think the following is true (adding to what Tony wrote). The bilingual file produced by WordFast Classic can be "cleaned up" by Trados, thereby adding the source and target text segments to the Trados Translation Memory.

Oliver

[Edited at 2015-07-16 23:27 GMT]

José J. Martínez
José J. Martínez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Robert Jul 16, 2015

I do not know if this should be with you. I am losing work for not having more popular CAT tools... that is about the sum of it.

TalTranslations
TalTranslations
United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
losing work Jul 17, 2015

José J. Martínez wrote:

I am losing work...

If you are losing work, why not invest in one of those CAT tools if they are requested by your clients? At local resellers sometimes you can get it a CAT for less than 300 USD.

I agree with Clarissa "If you do your own marketing job, you find your own direct clients, you can use your preferred CAT tool, and you can charge them better rates."

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Invest Jul 17, 2015

José J. Martínez wrote:

I do not know if this should be with you. I am losing work for not having more popular CAT tools... that is about the sum of it.

The answer seems simple, invest in the most asked CAT-tool. Here in Europe it is SDL Studio. You can install other CAT's for free, like for example memoQ. The licence expires after a month, but if you have to work with it, the agency can provide you with a temporary licence for the duration of the job.

Although the golden tool for 'all in one' doesn't exist, lots of tools are interchangable, that is, you can translate memoQ files in Studio and vice versa.

If your business is with direct end clients, you are the boss of which CAT you choose (as I read in this forum).

So my question actually is: 'Why don't you invest?' Looks like you are loosing more money now.

[Edited at 2015-07-17 20:14 GMT]

José J. Martínez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Robert Jul 17, 2015

I use Wordfast Pro, and have used it since 2007 I believe. I like this program very much, but maybe it is because it is the one I have used the most. To invest is no problem but to continue with the WFP is like having an additional thumb. I will try to get my $$ back since I jut paid for the renewal. It is a great program but possibly not a true player in the industry. I started with it because TPT required it.

The jobs are requesting the SDL Trados and I think there could be some
... See more
I use Wordfast Pro, and have used it since 2007 I believe. I like this program very much, but maybe it is because it is the one I have used the most. To invest is no problem but to continue with the WFP is like having an additional thumb. I will try to get my $$ back since I jut paid for the renewal. It is a great program but possibly not a true player in the industry. I started with it because TPT required it.

The jobs are requesting the SDL Trados and I think there could be some gimick going on.
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
There is no problem (really) Jul 17, 2015

If I where you I would keep WF as your CAT of preference, and buy Studio as second CAT to satisfy your customers who only want to work with Studio. It will cost you a few dollars, but you will earn it back easily. (I don't get the 'gimmick' part though).

Problem solved I would say.

José J. Martínez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation on the Gimmick part Jul 17, 2015

Suppose someone wans you to appear at their office, and they will only accept you getting there if you are transported in a Mercedes Benz. If you arrive via Audi, they will not accept you.

This is the way I see things regarding the job offers that specify the SDL Trados... Anyone offering you a job to translate wants the transltion. This should not be understood as the translation plus the Translation Memory. Usually that is the reason (I think) they specify a certain CAT tool.
... See more
Suppose someone wans you to appear at their office, and they will only accept you getting there if you are transported in a Mercedes Benz. If you arrive via Audi, they will not accept you.

This is the way I see things regarding the job offers that specify the SDL Trados... Anyone offering you a job to translate wants the transltion. This should not be understood as the translation plus the Translation Memory. Usually that is the reason (I think) they specify a certain CAT tool.

They want a translation, I give them a translation, they want a translation plus the Translation Memory, one would be shooting himself in the foot... because the TM is entered into a huge TM that later will be used to translate similar documents and instead of paying my USD$0.10 per source word, they will offer USD$ 0.03 per source word.

This is my impression, maybe I am seeing ghosts but what other reason can you determine here?
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
It's up to you Jul 17, 2015

Although I see your point, and agree with you till a certain point, I think you have to ask yourself the question if you want to stay in the business, or find another job. If you want to stay a translator, you have to go with the flow of time by taking the proper steps.

In the end, it's all up to you.

[Edited at 2015-07-17 21:14 GMT]

José J. Martínez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments Robert Jul 17, 2015

And to all that replied before.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A little simplistic Jul 18, 2015

José J. Martínez wrote:
Anyone offering you a job to translate wants the transltion. This should not be understood as the translation plus the Translation Memory. Usually that is the reason (I think) they specify a certain CAT tool. ...

Well, yes, they want "a translation" but they want the translation in a specific format. Would you be happy (as a client) if you sent a text to the translator in a Word file and he delivers the translation in a PowerPoint file, saying that "a translation is a translation"? I doubt it. The client has a reason why he prefers the translation in a specific format, and it may not be sufficient for him to receive "just the translation" if the translation isn't in that format.

José J. Martínez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A format is a format and a cAT is a CAT Jul 18, 2015

I think you mis understood or I did not convey properly.

Ok there are many CAT tools but they want a translation but... want the translator to use a specific CAT tool.

The other is in MS Office, there you have the different formats.

Now if you as the client ask me for a transation I will do it. If it is in PDF, I will try to put it in the "mostest" PDF document I can and that is usualy in Word, which I can convert very easily into a PDF but I leave it ti t
... See more
I think you mis understood or I did not convey properly.

Ok there are many CAT tools but they want a translation but... want the translator to use a specific CAT tool.

The other is in MS Office, there you have the different formats.

Now if you as the client ask me for a transation I will do it. If it is in PDF, I will try to put it in the "mostest" PDF document I can and that is usualy in Word, which I can convert very easily into a PDF but I leave it ti the client to make the conversion, it is just hitting a coulpe of keys.

If I am sent a document in Excel I turn it in in Excel, if it is Power Point, I turn it in in Power Point.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@José Jul 18, 2015

José J. Martínez wrote:
Now if you as the client ask me for a transation, I will do it. ... If I am sent a document in Excel, I deliver it in Excel, if it is PowerPoint, I deliver it in PowerPoint.

That is your decision, but it limits you to clients who want you to deliver the translation in the same format as the original.

If a client sends you a document in Excel, but want the translation back as PDF, would you refuse it? If the client sends you a PowerPoint file, but wants the translation back as a video file (and you know how to convert the translated PowerPoint file to a video), would you refuse to do it and/or charge extra, if it requires no additional effort for you?

If a client sends you a Word file or an Excel and wants you to deliver an SDXLIFF file or a TXML file, then I believe that that is the client's choice, and if you can easily deliver what the client wants, then you should feel free to do so. If you can't deliver an SDLXLIFF or TXML file despite the fact that that is the format that the client wants the translation in, then you should either convince the client to accept your translation your chosen format, or turn down the job.

A format is a format and a CAT is a CAT, but in many cases, a CAT is also a format.

[Edited at 2015-07-18 18:16 GMT]

José J. Martínez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No comment Jul 18, 2015

We are discussing different things.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have one CAT tool that I consider the best, but...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »