SDL Trados Studio or Mac or other CAT tool?
Thread poster: Keith C
Keith C
Keith C  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:03
French to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2015

I have not had good results with my Trados Studio 2011 version in part because I am using a MacBook Pro, and the Parallels software runs the program slowly and unpredictably. Has anyone had good results using the new 2015 version of Studio on a Mac? I have read a number of unfavorable reviews of this product. Can anyone suggest a CAT tool more suitable for a Mac, such as Déjà vu or MemoQ?
Thanks!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:03
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran! Jul 28, 2015

Keith C wrote:

I have not had good results with my Trados Studio 2011 version in part because I am using a MacBook Pro, and the Parallels software runs the program slowly and unpredictably. Has anyone had good results using the new 2015 version of Studio on a Mac? I have read a number of unfavorable reviews of this product. Can anyone suggest a CAT tool more suitable for a Mac, such as Déjà vu or MemoQ?
Thanks!

Might I recommend CafeTran? The best CAT tool on a Mac, Windows, or Linux.

https://www.cafetran.com (official website)
http://cafetranhelp.com (unofficial help wiki)
https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions (official forums)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cafetranslators (old Google Group; still has a ton of valuable info)

(light years ahead of the pack)

[Edited at 2015-07-28 22:50 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:03
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
There are some Jul 28, 2015

OmegaT, Wordfast Pro, Fluency.

MemoQ runs in Linux via Crossover Linux, thus, it probably runs in Mac via Crossover Mac.

See also: http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/

Howard Camm
Howard Camm  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:03
Italian to English
+ ...
TRADOS+MAC=FAIL! Jul 28, 2015

I posted about this just recently - TRADOS is massively unpredicatable with a Mac and the TRADOS development team have 'no plans' (their words) to develop a version correctly coded for a Mac. I have recently purchased FLUENCY NOW for Mac and it is excellent - apart from working properly in all functions, it is simplicity itself to use AND accepts most file formats - TRADOS take note! I switched from a BlackBerry + PC to an iPhone, iPad and Mac, for productivity reasons, some time ago and FLUENCY... See more
I posted about this just recently - TRADOS is massively unpredicatable with a Mac and the TRADOS development team have 'no plans' (their words) to develop a version correctly coded for a Mac. I have recently purchased FLUENCY NOW for Mac and it is excellent - apart from working properly in all functions, it is simplicity itself to use AND accepts most file formats - TRADOS take note! I switched from a BlackBerry + PC to an iPhone, iPad and Mac, for productivity reasons, some time ago and FLUENCY NOW works, every time, properly.Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

What does your agency prefer? Jul 28, 2015

It really depends on what your main clients prefer.

I've also had Cafe Tran recommended to me, but since 90% of my work needs to use Wordfast Pro(regardless of OS) I'm happy enough continuing to use this for everything else as well. Also if you work in a developing country you are eligible for a 50% discount, which I think is great it's never crashed on my iMac and the custom keystrokes are awesome!

You can demo for 1 month, try it, I'm happy with it. Also, easy enough
... See more
It really depends on what your main clients prefer.

I've also had Cafe Tran recommended to me, but since 90% of my work needs to use Wordfast Pro(regardless of OS) I'm happy enough continuing to use this for everything else as well. Also if you work in a developing country you are eligible for a 50% discount, which I think is great it's never crashed on my iMac and the custom keystrokes are awesome!

You can demo for 1 month, try it, I'm happy with it. Also, easy enough for PMs to convert their trados files for you to work with
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 05:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Not necessary... Jul 29, 2015

DJHartmann wrote:
Also, easy enough for PMs to convert their trados files for you to work with

... when you use CafeTran:

Editing an SDLXLIFF file in CafeTran is easy. I did hundreds of them.

• Run CafeTran
  • Drop the SDLXLIFF file on the Dashboard
  • The correct language codes are automatically selected
  • Click "Next" to start working ("locked" segments remain locked)

Cheers,

Hans

• Keith C
    Keith C  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 18:03
    French to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thank you so much! Jul 31, 2015

Thank you for all these great suggestions. I will check out some of the other CAT tools, and I'm sure I'll something more compatible with my Mac.

Keith

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio or Mac or other CAT tool?

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »