Is it possible to import a MemoQ database in Studio 2017?
Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:26
Member (2004)
English to French
Jul 16, 2020

Hi,
I have a potential new client who sent me a project with the previous translations strings in MemoQ. I use Studio 2017. Is it possible to import the TM database from MQ to Studio? If so, how?

Thanks!

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 12:26
English to Polish
+ ...
MemoQ manual or Youtube Jul 17, 2020

Hi,

Why don't you check for example here:
http://memoq.helpmax.net/en/explanations/translation-memories/exchanging-translation-memories/exporting-translation-memories/

Looking for the answer on Youtube might also help.

K.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Nina Jul 17, 2020

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:
I have a potential new client who sent me a project with the previous translations strings in MemoQ. I use [Trados] Studio 2017. Is it possible to import the TM database from MQ to [Trados] Studio?

1. Trados can't import an MQXLIFF file or indeed any non-Trados XLIFF file into a TM. However, Trados can import an SDLXLIFF file into a TM. So, if you've received XLIFF or MQXLIFF files from the client, you can open them a dummy project in Trados as source files, so that Trados will generate SDLXLIFF files, and then you can import those SDLXLIFF files into the TM.

MemoQ does not produce bilingual files manually (MemoQ projects are database-based, and MemoQ only creates bilingual files on demand). So, the client would have to create bilingual files for you. If they don't know how to do that:

In MemoQ, go into the project; select all files; right-click and select "Create View"; give the view a name and include all files in it; when the view is created, right-click it and select "Export bilingual", and choose either "Plain XLIFF" or "memoQ XLIFF".

2. Trados can import TMX files into a TM, so you could ask your client to export their translation memory to TMX format.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to import a MemoQ database in Studio 2017?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »