What is the speed for Chinese reading character entry in subtitling software
Thread poster: seitsme
seitsme
seitsme
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Oct 19, 2018

I am given a chinese translation to add it in a video (from my English)
I use ie jubler to add the subtitles. In similar also software, i work on mac,
I must add an ie number (29) in the program, which is used to count characters usually,
that appear per subtitle line. Also this number is related on the time duration, the subtitles
are shown on the screen ie number (5 seconds)

So if a subtitle is displayed ie for 5 seconds and is 40 characters cannot be read
... See more
I am given a chinese translation to add it in a video (from my English)
I use ie jubler to add the subtitles. In similar also software, i work on mac,
I must add an ie number (29) in the program, which is used to count characters usually,
that appear per subtitle line. Also this number is related on the time duration, the subtitles
are shown on the screen ie number (5 seconds)

So if a subtitle is displayed ie for 5 seconds and is 40 characters cannot be read easy.
If the characters ie exceed 29, i get a red mark and then i ask the translator to do a shorter
line or try to see how
This is a good information for the technical person who adds subs to know.

I know about the English settings but never came up with Chinese text before.
I tried to look for such info on internet and no luck.

Does anybody know such technical info to enter in ie jubler or other software please.
If you add the subtitles yourself in the file, like me, what settings you usually use and what
font and font size.

regards
Collapse

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:55
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
for your reference Oct 23, 2018

https://backlothelp.netflix.com/hc/en-us/articles/215986007-Simplified-Chinese-PRC-Timed-Text-Style-Guide

seitsme

seitsme
seitsme
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is considered as 1 CN character Nov 7, 2018

Hi and thanks for your useful link response to my initial post please.

I would like to ask you, when ie it says, the character speed or allowance is 20 per line....
does it mean 20 square-like characters (boxes).

As it is the first time i see CN text, i am not sure if 1 character in chinese, equals 1 square-like symbol to my eyes.

Example the symbol or character (below) will appear inside a square outline in my subtitle software, when previewed I dont
... See more
Hi and thanks for your useful link response to my initial post please.

I would like to ask you, when ie it says, the character speed or allowance is 20 per line....
does it mean 20 square-like characters (boxes).

As it is the first time i see CN text, i am not sure if 1 character in chinese, equals 1 square-like symbol to my eyes.

Example the symbol or character (below) will appear inside a square outline in my subtitle software, when previewed I dont know if this symbol represents a sentence (made of many characters) or it is what is refered as one character.

The symbol / character: 喝

Any answers will be appreciated, as i must count how many these are etc to see what settings needs to be redefined in my subtitling software.

thanks again
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the speed for Chinese reading character entry in subtitling software

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »