Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:31
Spanish to French
+ ...
Aug 29, 2020

Hello all,

I have this teapot that belonged to my mother and there is four signs under it.

Could anybody tell me what it is about?

I can OCR it but I cannot transfer it in Word cos I don't have the correct fonts... so I put an picture of it.

IMG_2806-bis

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:31
Chinese to English
+ ...
. Aug 29, 2020

Supervised by Dainan

David Lin

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
I hope this information would help Aug 29, 2020

http://asianart.com/phpforum/index.php?method=detailAll&Id=106325&PHPSESSID=t1cq659klkilqlgubg4k3g1t75

Marking reads,
大南監製 Dai-Nam Giamche - Dai Nam Supervised Product
Dai-Nam (Great Southern Empire) is the name of the
Nguyen Vietnamese dynasty (1802-1945)
Therefore the age roughly corresponds to the late Qing
and Republic era.
With regards,
I.Nagy

Laurent Mercky

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Đại Nam (Great South, which was used by the Nguyễn Lords) Aug 29, 2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_Vietnam

Constitutional issues[edit]

Bảo Đại, previously Emperor of Annam, was the nominal ruler of the 1945 Empire of Vietnam.
Kim and his ministers spent a substantial amount of time on constitutional matters at their first meeting in Huế on 4 May 1945. One of their first resolutions was to alter the national name to Việt Nam. This was seen as a significant and urgent task. It implied territorial unity; "Việt Nam" had been Emperor Gia Long's choice for the name of the country since he unified the modern territory of Việt Nam in 1802. Furthermore, this was the first time that Vietnamese nationalists in the northern, central and southern regions of the country officially recognized this name. In March, activists in the North always mentioned Đại Việt (Great Việt), the name used before the 15th century by the Lê Dynasty and its predecessors, while those in the South used Vietnam, and the central leaders used An Nam (Peaceful South) or Đại Nam (Great South, which was used by the Nguyễn Lords).[3]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nguyễn lords Aug 29, 2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nguyễn_lords

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fantastic! Aug 29, 2020

I am sooo greatful to both of you.. thank you for your swiftness and research... no doubt that will greatly help me. Now I wonder how my mum (or my dad?) happened to buy that... unfortunately, nobody can answer this question now!

Have a great WE, my fellow colleagues

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here is the teapot... :-) Aug 29, 2020

IMG_2782

IMG_2784

IMG_2783

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Last question Aug 29, 2020

I beg you to pardon my ignorance beforehand but are those signs chinese or vietnamese? And if chinese, how come in Vietnam?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
I am glad it could help Aug 29, 2020

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

I beg you to pardon my ignorance beforehand but are those signs chinese or vietnamese? And if chinese, how come in Vietnam?

https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/437743789800064604.html

Those signs are Chinese characters. I am not an expert in this regard, but according to the above Chinese webpost, such porcelain products were ordered by Vietnam during the Great Southern Empire from Chinese porcelain manufacturers and supervised by Vietnamese representatives during production. It also says it is very likely that such products are genuine because it doesn't make much sense to counterfeit since they are not very old in age, relatively speaking.

[Edited at 2020-08-30 05:31 GMT]

David Shen

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
The Blue Willow Pattern, a popular chinoiserie design developed in Britain Aug 29, 2020

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

Christophe,

Hope this helps:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_pattern

Why was this produced in Vietnam? There could be several factors, labor costs, political climate at the time, just like it is now. Manufacturers are always trying to move their production lines around to where they can make most of the profit and have the least hassle.

《英国中国风青花杨柳瓷》

青花杨柳钴蓝深,
图案出自 Tom Minton。
1780s Stoke-on-Trent,
就是英国景德镇。

D.S.2020.0829.a

[Edited at 2020-08-29 18:25 GMT]

P.S.
Christophe,

I may have misunderstood you question. But if you are asking about the potter's mark at the bottom of the teapot, not the place of production, than the above answer of mine is irrelevant. Just ignore that. The following would be a better answer:

Potters' marks (款) in several East Asian countries conventionally use Chinese characters as signatures for the identification of the manufacturers. The reason is apparently due to cultural and artistic influence, but it might also be due to necessity or convenience.

JAPAN
The written forms of Japanese borrow heavily from Chinese writing, although their dependency on Chinese characters have been dramatically reduced during the last couple of centuries. Still to this day however, there is a considerable amount of Chinese characters which they call kanji being used in their daily communication. We are talking about daily writing and the news media (and that's why a Chinese who has never spent any time learning Japanese would be able to best guess the main idea of a Japanese news report). The practice is dominant when it comes to arts and crafts, calligraphy and artist signatures in general. The Japanese have kept the tradition of using Chinese characters for almost all signatures, a tradition that started at least 1,300 years ago.

Here are a couple of very reputable Japanese porcelain makers / brands:
Kutani ware 九谷烧

九谷 © Modern Japanese Pottery and Porcelain Marks

Arita ware 有田烧

有田·聖山窯 © Modern Japanese Pottery and Porcelain Marks

KOREA and VIETNAM
Both Korean and Vietnamese porcelain makers traditionally use Chinese characters for bottom marks as well, although no Chinese characters are used in their daily writing.

Back to Place of Origin
A closer look at your photos leads me to believe that this is most likely a Chinese product, a line of export porcelain made to order by a Chinese kiln. This type of teapots is referred to as 提梁壶 (pot with handle over lid). The construction of this particular model, especially the lid is uniquely Chinese. Most lids on teapots have a knob on top, but this type of hollowed lid is known as a 牛盖 "buffalo lid" for the two holes in the lid that resemble the nose of a buffalo. While the red stamp reads "product supervised by Dai-Nan", I doubt there was real supervision at production by the Vietnamese authorities, if it were indeed made somewhere in South China. The use of the term "supervision" here is simply a diplomatic expression, which appears often on export porcelain. In reality, it is no more than just "made to the specifications as ordered by so and so." I collect teapots, so this posting of yours happens to be a topic of interest to me.

[Edited at 2020-08-30 05:08 GMT]

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanx again guys Aug 30, 2020

Thank you ysun for helping me to understand the story around this ware.

Thank you too David Shen for adding your knowledge to it all. As you may have seen, I know nothing about this pot (or teapots for that matter) so any information is more than welcome. If you happen to have more information (links), don't hesitate to send them to me through my email. BTW are you a potter?

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
You are welcome Aug 31, 2020

Christophe,

I will keep an eye on it and if I do find more info on this model, I shall let you know.

No, I am not a potter. I just have a hobby of collecting teapots, and small pieces like cups and saucers, after years of drinking tea. I figured as a guy from China, you'd better know something about china. But my understanding of these objects is not anywhere near that of an expert.

For me there is a big joy in collecting ceramics. You can actually use the
... See more
Christophe,

I will keep an eye on it and if I do find more info on this model, I shall let you know.

No, I am not a potter. I just have a hobby of collecting teapots, and small pieces like cups and saucers, after years of drinking tea. I figured as a guy from China, you'd better know something about china. But my understanding of these objects is not anywhere near that of an expert.

For me there is a big joy in collecting ceramics. You can actually use them, they are relatively affordable, and almost never go bad. But they do break easily if one is not careful. So, every time when you handle you teapot or open the lid, be sure to take extra caution in reminding yourself that you are pinching on the nose of a buffalo!
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hoping I am not trying your patience nor time.... Sep 3, 2020

I just found another small chinese ware in a little box. Can you tell me what it says on the bottom and on the side?

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_2835

IMG_2836

Hao Wang
Hao Wang
Germany
German to Chinese
+ ...
景德镇 Sep 3, 2020

景德镇 :
Jingdezhen may have produced pottery as early as the sixth century CE, though it is named after the reign name of Emperor Zhenzong, in whose reign it became a major kiln site, around 1004. By the 14th century it had become the largest centre of production of Chinese porcelain, which it has remained, increasing its dominance in subsequent centuries.
制: make, produce
景德镇制: made in Jingdezhen

根是泥中玉
心承露下珠
It is quo
... See more
景德镇 :
Jingdezhen may have produced pottery as early as the sixth century CE, though it is named after the reign name of Emperor Zhenzong, in whose reign it became a major kiln site, around 1004. By the 14th century it had become the largest centre of production of Chinese porcelain, which it has remained, increasing its dominance in subsequent centuries.
制: make, produce
景德镇制: made in Jingdezhen

根是泥中玉
心承露下珠
It is quotation from a poem "lotus leaf".
In china lotus is very famous for "coming out of the mud unsoiled".
These two setences mean:
It's root is the jade in the mud.
It's heart holds the dew pearls.

辛卯年作于景德镇
辛卯 is one of the 干支系统——The sexagenary cycle, also known as the Stems-and-Branches or ganzhi, is a cycle of sixty terms, each corresponding to one year, thus a total of sixty years for one cycle, historically used for reckoning time in China and the rest of the East Asian cultural sphere.
made in Jingdezhen in the 辛卯 year.
Collapse

David Lin
David Shen

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Hao Wang Sep 3, 2020

I'm trying to guess the ideograms based on your answer... but I guess it is like our capital letters and written ones... there are big differences sometimes.

Thank you for your help

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inscription under a chinese teapot

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »