Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
other subject lists Oct 30, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Please note that I just copied it straight from TO3000, and before creating a custom list in DVX3, I'll most likely have a closer look at it and modify it quite a bit, to optimize for use with terminology matching in Déjà Vu.

Is this the complete list from TO3000 or only a part of it? I can't find it on the online help file of TO3000 .

Across is another CAT tool working with such metadata, it has a subjects list as well. But it is not available online and I will not install it to see them

[Edited at 2016-10-30 23:17 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's a custom list I made myself Oct 30, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Please note that I just copied it straight from TO3000, and before creating a custom list in DVX3, I'll most likely have a closer look at it and modify it quite a bit, to optimize for use with terminology matching in Déjà Vu.

Is this the complete list from TO3000 or only a part of it? I can't find it on the online help file of TO3000 .

Across is another CAT tool working with such metadata, it has a subjects list as well. But it is not available online and I will not install it to see them

[Edited at 2016-10-30 23:17 GMT]

No, it's a custom list I created over the past year or so to keep track of which subjects I do the most (and make me the most money). I created a custom data field in TO3000 under Settings > Advanced > Custom Fields > Jobs, and each time I complete a job and enter it in TO3000, I try to remember to tag it with a subject. This allows me to see at a glance what I spent most of my year doing, etc. Basically a fun way to waste some time at the end the day

I also found this other, general list in my Google Keep snippet library:

ABBREVIATIONS
ACADEMIC
ACCOUNTING
ADVERTISING AND MARKETING
AERODYNAMICS
AEROSPACE
ANIMALS
ANNUAL REPORTS
ARCHITECTURE AND HEALTH CARE
ART
ART HISTORY
ASYLUM
AUDIT REPORTS
AUTOMATION
AUTOMOTIVE
BANKING AND FINANCE
BATHROOM FURNITURE
BIOLOGY
BUILDING
BUSINESS
BUSINESS LETTERS
CIVIL ENGINEERING
CENTRAL VACUUM SYSTEMS
CLIMATE SOLUTIONS
COMPUTERS & IT
CONSTRUCTION
CORPORATE IDENTITY / PR
CRIMINAL LAW
DIAMONDS
ECONOMICS
EDUCATION
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
ELECTRONICS
ENERGY
ENERGY EFFICIENCY OF HOMES
ENVIRONMENT
EU
FLOORING
FINANCE
FIREFIGHTING
FOOD
GAMING
GENERAL
GEOMETRY
GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING
GRAMMAR
HOLIDAYS
HOT AIR BALLOONS
HOTEL, CATERING & TOURISM
HR
HYDROLOGY
HYDRAULIC ENGINEERING
INDUSTRIAL CLEANING EQUIPMENT
INSURANCE
IT
JOB DESCRIPTIONS
LEGAL
LINGUISTICS
LIVESTOCK INDUSTRY
LOGISTICS
MACHINES AND MACHINE PARTS
MANAGEMENT
MANUFACTURING
MARKETING
MARKET RESEARCH
MEASUREMENT AND CONTROL
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
MEDICAL
MEDICAL AND SAFETY TECHNOLOGY
METAL INDUSTRY
METEOROLOGY
MILITARY
MINERALOGY
MINING
MUSIC
ONLINE SECURITY
PAPER INDUSTRY
PATENTS
PAYROLL + HR ADMINISTRATION
PETROCHEMICAL
PHOTOGRAPHY
PHYSICS
POLITICS
PRINTING & GRAPHICS INDUSTRY
PROPERTY
PSYCHOLOGY
QUESTIONNAIRES
RAILWAY
RECRUITMENT & EMPLOYMENT
RELIGION
ROOFING
SAFETY
SANITARY
SECONDMENT
SHIPBUILDING
SHIPPING
SLAs
SOCIAL PROTECTION
SOCIOLOGY
SOFTWARE
STATISTICS
STOCK EXCHANGE
SURVEYS
TAXES
TECHNICAL
TELECOM
TENDERS
TEXTILE
THERMAL IMAGING CAMERAS
TOURISM
TRAFFIC
TRAVEL
USER MANUAL
TRANSPORT
WASTE MANAGEMENT
ZOOLOGY

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 15:44
English to Polish
+ ...
Autosuggest vs Autowrite Oct 31, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

XLF export has already become possible in the PRO version of DVX3. The only reason for me to consider buying the Workgroup version would be to handle the so-called "satellite projects" in a better way by being able to split segments which one of my clients fails to do so (two, three or even more sentences are put / joined into one segment just by his carelessness or done so by his CMS).
Exported XLF files would not substitute sdlxliff files, but you can easily process sdlxliff files anyway in DV. And, Michael, don´t forget to test the marvellous AutoWrite function! Forget about "AutoSuggest" (Stupidio) or "Muses" (memoCow)...

Am testing AutoWrite, which has been great so far. I must say, btw, that the one in the latest versions of Studio is very, very good, not sure about memoQ because, as I've said elsewhere, I can never get Predictive Typing to work when Dragon is switched on, which it always is on my computer.

I do have one question already about DVX's AutoWrite system. In SDL Studio, there is this cool thing called MT auto-suggest (it used to be an SDL app, but is now built in), which DVX also has: basically, the tool takes stuff from MT and feeds it to the AutoWrite/AutoSuggest system.

Now, one thing I would like DVX3 to do is suggest both longer phrases from MT, plus shorter bits. So, for example, AutoWrite might suggest:

"In SDL Studio, there is this cool thing called MT auto-suggest"

However, sometimes I just want to take individual words from MT, so I might want to type just grab "SDL Studio" from the above sentence, but can't seem to get the DVX3 AutoWrite system to give me just that, whereas SDL Studio's AutoSuggest system does seem to do so. Or am I missing something? I just tested it again, and it sometimes works in DVX3, but not as much as I wish it would. Meaning: I wish it would consistently offer me entire phrases, plus all of the individual words in these phrases. Hmm, or would this produce too much noise?

[Edited at 2016-10-27 09:13 GMT]

Studio's Autosuggest is slightly more superior to Autowrite, if only because the chunks from MT are always logical phrases or sentences. In Autowrite you are sometimes proposed one word after a comma (eg. That is why, he), which may be a bit annoying. Additionally, there's no solution to automatically suggest proper nouns and numbers, unless you first enter them to the Lexicon (too tedious IMHO).
But overall, Autowrite is one of the best systems of this type next to Studio's Autosuggest and Wordfast Classic's Autocomplete.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmm, just noticed that "Quick Add to Termbase" doesn't auto-add metadata :-( Oct 31, 2016

Is there any way to force it to do so?
I actually like it to automatically add any Subject and Client fields, but not necessarily the context.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, I agree Oct 31, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

XLF export has already become possible in the PRO version of DVX3. The only reason for me to consider buying the Workgroup version would be to handle the so-called "satellite projects" in a better way by being able to split segments which one of my clients fails to do so (two, three or even more sentences are put / joined into one segment just by his carelessness or done so by his CMS).
Exported XLF files would not substitute sdlxliff files, but you can easily process sdlxliff files anyway in DV. And, Michael, don´t forget to test the marvellous AutoWrite function! Forget about "AutoSuggest" (Stupidio) or "Muses" (memoCow)...

Am testing AutoWrite, which has been great so far. I must say, btw, that the one in the latest versions of Studio is very, very good, not sure about memoQ because, as I've said elsewhere, I can never get Predictive Typing to work when Dragon is switched on, which it always is on my computer.

I do have one question already about DVX's AutoWrite system. In SDL Studio, there is this cool thing called MT auto-suggest (it used to be an SDL app, but is now built in), which DVX also has: basically, the tool takes stuff from MT and feeds it to the AutoWrite/AutoSuggest system.

Now, one thing I would like DVX3 to do is suggest both longer phrases from MT, plus shorter bits. So, for example, AutoWrite might suggest:

"In SDL Studio, there is this cool thing called MT auto-suggest"

However, sometimes I just want to take individual words from MT, so I might want to type just grab "SDL Studio" from the above sentence, but can't seem to get the DVX3 AutoWrite system to give me just that, whereas SDL Studio's AutoSuggest system does seem to do so. Or am I missing something? I just tested it again, and it sometimes works in DVX3, but not as much as I wish it would. Meaning: I wish it would consistently offer me entire phrases, plus all of the individual words in these phrases. Hmm, or would this produce too much noise?

[Edited at 2016-10-27 09:13 GMT]

Studio's Autosuggest is slightly more superior to Autowrite, if only because the chunks from MT are always logical phrases or sentences. In Autowrite you are sometimes proposed one word after a comma (eg. That is why, he), which may be a bit annoying. Additionally, there's no solution to automatically suggest proper nouns and numbers, unless you first enter them to the Lexicon (too tedious IMHO).
But overall, Autowrite is one of the best systems of this type next to Studio's Autosuggest and Wordfast Classic's Autocomplete.

I think Studio's current AutoSuggest is ever so slightly better than DVX3's AutoWrite, but the DVX system also works very well. I'm also still getting used to it, so it might be slightly better than I currently think it is.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to only save last version of TUs in translation memories? Oct 31, 2016

Is there any way to create a translation memory so that it only saves the last version of a TU? My translation memories seem to be saving them all.

Michael

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
Add to Translation Memory Oct 31, 2016

Is there any way to create a translation memory so that it only saves the last version of a TU? My translation memories seem to be saving them all.

Michael

Translate as usual, that is use ctrl+down arrow in each segment. When the final version is ready, use "Add to Translation Memory", that will update al pairs.

1. That will not update any segment parts (fragments?) sent to TM by F12 but only the pairs sent by by ctrl+down arrow.

2. When I finish a project, I do the following:
a. Open the TM and delete all pairs from that project (you can use a project/temporary TM as well)
b. Open the project and use SQL commands to edit project ownernick and user details and lastmodified date.
c. And then "Add to Translation Memory"
d. This helps to store segments in natural order

See details in Help file, Sending Information to the Translation Memory.

I "store segment context information to enable Guaranteed Matches."

[Edited at 2016-10-31 21:12 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
SQL? Nov 1, 2016

Is there any way to force it to do so?
I actually like it to automatically add any Subject and Client fields, but not necessarily the context.

How about this: on finalizing your project, also run an SQL command to set Subject and Client for all term base entries after the starting date of your project. Of course you'll be running into problems if you handle several projects "simultaneously".

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
AutoWrite vs. AutoSuggest: Nov 2, 2016

I think Studio's current AutoSuggest is ever so slightly better than DVX3's AutoWrite, but the DVX system also works very well. I'm also still getting used to it, so it might be slightly better than I currently think it is.

Maybe I have missed something so far with Studio 2015, but even with its new AutoSuggest functionality: doesn´t it need at least a concordance match on a certain level in the current segment, before AutoSuggest is able to suggest anything (apart from TB entries or AutoSuggest dictionaries, which have to be inconveniently prepared each time)? How much more comfortable is DVX3s AutoWrite here by acting on the fly and independent on concordance matches or term bases, isn´t it?

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
More Nov 2, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Maybe I have missed something so far with Studio 2015, but even with its new AutoSuggest functionality: doesn´t it need at least a concordance match on a certain level in the current segment, before AutoSuggest is able to suggest anything (apart from TB entries or AutoSuggest dictionaries, which have to be inconveniently prepared each time)? How much more comfortable is DVX3s AutoWrite here by acting on the fly and independent on concordance matches or term bases, isn´t it?

As far as I know, the new Autosuggest 2.0 utilizes also chunks from TM, not only Concordance searches.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
and, most importantly (for me at least): Nov 2, 2016

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

As far as I know, the new Autosuggest 2.0 utilizes also chunks from TM, not only Concordance searches.

... it takes stuff from the machine translation plugins, and in a very clever way, I must add.

Michael

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
autosuggest and dragon Nov 3, 2016

How does autosuggest/write work with dragon (in dvx and other CAT tools)? You start saying a word and a suggestion pops up as you're speaking? Just interested.

Olly

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Movie? Nov 3, 2016

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

How does autosuggest/write work with dragon (in dvx and other CAT tools)? You start saying a word and a suggestion pops up as you're speaking? Just interested.

Olly

Me too. Would you be able to record a few seconds of video to demonstrate this?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hi Olly/Hans Nov 3, 2016

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Olly

Sorry for the misunderstanding! You can't actually trigger autosuggest/write by voice. What I meant was: if you have Dragon switched on when using memoQ, while simultaneously having Predictive Typing switched on, memoQ will slow down to a crawl. It's a bug.

Auto suggest in studio, however, works just fine with Dragon switched on. However, studio doesn't offer ‘full text control’ (i.e., the ability to select and correct words by voice).

In DVX3, by contrast: everything works: you get 100% ‘full text control’, and can still use AutoSuggest.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
triggering autosuggest Nov 3, 2016

Sorry for the misunderstanding! You can't actually trigger autosuggest/write by voice. What I meant was: if you have Dragon switched on when using memoQ, while simultaneously having Predictive Typing switched on, memoQ will slow down to a crawl. It's a bug.

Auto suggest in studio, however, works just fine with Dragon switched on. However, studio doesn't offer ‘full text control’ (i.e., the ability to select and correct words by voice).

In DVX3, by contrast: everything works: you get 100% ‘full text control’, and can still use AutoSuggest.

But if you can't trigger autosuggest by voice, how DO you use it with Dragon?

Thanks,

Olly

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to DVX3. How can I …

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »