Can you recommend a laptop?
Thread poster: SusieSmith
SusieSmith
SusieSmith
United Kingdom
Dec 15, 2017

I need a laptop for working while travelling and am not sure where to start.

Essentially it needs to have enough processing power to run Wordfast Pro and other CAT tools without costing the earth and should be user-friendly.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Guilherme Sancho
Guilherme Sancho
Poland
Local time: 16:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Asus. Dec 15, 2017

Asus. Its laptops are good quality and have 2-year international warranty, unlike some brands.
Mine broke once randomly and it was in another country where I bought it but no matter, I called that country's costumer service for Asus, produced the bill from where I bought it and the serial number of the laptop, and they sent an UPS guy to pick it up, had it fixed for free within a week or two, and had it sent back by UPS courier again to my doorstep.
This is just impossible for a bran
... See more
Asus. Its laptops are good quality and have 2-year international warranty, unlike some brands.
Mine broke once randomly and it was in another country where I bought it but no matter, I called that country's costumer service for Asus, produced the bill from where I bought it and the serial number of the laptop, and they sent an UPS guy to pick it up, had it fixed for free within a week or two, and had it sent back by UPS courier again to my doorstep.
This is just impossible for a brand from a non mega-corporation.
I would research what the current best laptops are for what you need and what your expecting to pay.
Don't skimp or researching for a month or two, this is at least a 5-year investment so think carefully.
For me Asus is great right now, but I hear that Dell also makes great laptops for the price.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Previous threads. Dec 15, 2017

You may read some of these threads with useful guidelines. The general consensus is that you won't receive high and smooth performance for small amount of money, but if the CAT tools is all that matters, I believe you don't need super expensive stuff as you don't work with graphic design etc.
... See more
You may read some of these threads with useful guidelines. The general consensus is that you won't receive high and smooth performance for small amount of money, but if the CAT tools is all that matters, I believe you don't need super expensive stuff as you don't work with graphic design etc.

https://www.proz.com/forum/hardware/249866-suggestions_for_buying_a_new_laptop_for_translator.html

https://www.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/244649-choosing_a_new_laptop_any_recommendations.html

https://www.proz.com/forum/hardware/216979-i_would_like_tips_on_a_new_laptop_and_translation_programs.html

https://www.proz.com/forum/hardware/277841-which_laptop_for_professional_use.html
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
MacBook Pro Dec 15, 2017

Susie,

Since you can't squeeze blood out of turnips, you'll have to find a happy compromise: performance, price and professional requirements (CAT tools).

You don't say anything about your experience with PCs or laptops, so it is very difficult to give you specific advice. I can only say that I've been using MacBook Pros (Windows on either Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop for Mac) for years with great performance gains.

SusieSmith
SusieSmith
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 15, 2017

Thanks for the helpful replies, I will take a look at the suggested information!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
@Susie Dec 15, 2017

Perhaps you can mention the max. budget that you are planning to spend, then posters can give you suggestions based on that.

SusieSmith
SusieSmith
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Maximum ... Dec 15, 2017

Lingua 5B wrote:

Perhaps you can mention the max. budget that you are planning to spend, then posters can give you suggestions based on that.

I would not like to spend more than GBP 1500, and ideally much less! But if I have to spend the maximum for a fast and reliable laptop, I would do it.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
With Windows, they are all the same Dec 15, 2017

Over the years I have tried Acer, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, Asus and perhaps I am forgetting some other, often top of the range, and none of them was fully satisfactory.

Currently using Asus with Intel i7-6700HQ @ 2.60GHz processor, with 16.0 GB RAM, solid-state hard drive, and it's decent but not anything to write home about.

Makes you want to take the plunge into the unknown. Going Mac, that is.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
what screen size? Dec 15, 2017

SusieSmith wrote:

I need a laptop for working while travelling and am not sure where to start.

Essentially it needs to have enough processing power to run Wordfast Pro and other CAT tools without costing the earth and should be user-friendly.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

One very important consideration is screen size. I personally can't stand to work on anything smaller than 17", but many people would disagree, and are quite happy to work on 15" or even 12" laptops. Smaller laptops are obviously lighter, but it also depends on how much you are going to travel with it, and how much you mind carrying something larger. I don't mind lugging my huge laptop along, because when I sit down to work and open it up I am always happy with the extra screen real estate.

What are you currently working on? Are you happy with it, or would you like something larger/smaller?

I have been very happy with my Dell Precision M6800 business-grade laptop (‘workstation’) for many years now, and when and if it dies will definitely get another one. This is the current (business) range: http://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/laptops/sc/laptops/precision-laptops
I think I paid between £1,500 and £2,000 for it, with all the extras such as extra RAM, SSDs, etc. It's currently got an i7, 32GB RAM, 3 internal SSDs, dual graphics cards, etc., and runs amazingly well. The keyboards on these Precisions are also a real pleasure to type on, unlike the new horrendous MacBook ones, btw, and many of the so-called ‘Ultra books’.

Some pix:

csm_34_Kopie_c5ff24761f

csm_37_Kopie_19cd669b23

Michael

[Edited at 2017-12-15 18:21 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Thinkpads/IdeaPads Dec 15, 2017

Also consider Lenovo’s ThinkPads (or IdeaPads, if you are short on budget, I’ve used both).

They have great keyboards (one of the most important features on a laptop, at least when you are on the move), come in various screen sizes to fit your needs, and are very trustworthy and dependable.

At least, I only swear by them. OK, one additional reason being their good to excellent compatibility with GNU/Linux, which I use as an OS.

Jean

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Susie Dec 15, 2017

SusieSmith wrote:
I need a laptop for working while travelling and am not sure where to start. ... Essentially it needs to have enough processing power to run Wordfast Pro and other CAT tools without costing the earth and should be user-friendly.

What I would do is go to a number of stores that sell computers, select one that's 2/3 your budget, and then soup it up with extras e.g. extra RAM, better hard drive, extra battery, etc. It sounds as though you should look at laptops of around GBP 1000. I would not buy a laptop without being able to touch it first. One can eventually get used to many things, but personally I would not be able to get used to a track pad that doesn't feel nice or a screen that's the wrong type or resolution.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
but why did they put the Fn key where Ctrl should be??? Dec 15, 2017

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Also consider Lenovo’s ThinkPads (or IdeaPads, if you are short on budget, I’ve used both).

They have great keyboards (one of the most important features on a laptop, at least when you are on the move), come in various screen sizes to fit your needs, and are very trustworthy and dependable.

At least, I only swear by them. OK, one additional reason being their good to excellent compatibility with GNU/Linux, which I use as an OS.

Jean

ThinkPads are my second choice (after Dell Precisions), just a shame the Ctrl key isn't in the far left corner, where you can reach it easiest without looking. At least they can be remapped.

Michael

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:10
German to Turkish
+ ...
Post-sales support Dec 15, 2017

One main thing to consider is the issue of after-sales support.

I am using a Dell XPS 14Z. My previous laptop was also a Dell XPS (12 something). They make great notebooks. This is the reason that I have bought one after the screen of my previous Dell broke (only after many years and excessive gaming).

The keyboard is great. I am happy with it.

I wish that I could tell the same about their after-sales services. Only one time I needed support on an issue an
... See more
One main thing to consider is the issue of after-sales support.

I am using a Dell XPS 14Z. My previous laptop was also a Dell XPS (12 something). They make great notebooks. This is the reason that I have bought one after the screen of my previous Dell broke (only after many years and excessive gaming).

The keyboard is great. I am happy with it.

I wish that I could tell the same about their after-sales services. Only one time I needed support on an issue and I hated every second. I am resident in Turkey but my investigation showed me that this is a global problem with Dell (at least in USA and Europe).

So, yes to their computers but a certain no to Dell for me.

Elif
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
two very interesting new fanless (= silent) laptops Dec 15, 2017

PS: in an alternative universe (where I had money to waste on buying interesting new laptops), I would try one of these (or both):

https://eve-tech.com (Eve V: ‘The First-Ever Crowd Developed Computer’ + Microsoft Surface clone)

V

https://www.shopvenom.com/globalstore/blackbook-zero-14/

Venom

(apparently they are both 100% silent. so zero moving parts, which does sound very interesting, especially if you like to work at night, and yr computer sounds louder because the world around you quietens down)

Michael

[Edited at 2017-12-15 23:19 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you recommend a laptop?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »