Germany
Local time: 17:22
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 17, 2020

gmarton22gma wrote:

Sorry to hear about that you laptop has breakdown. Which brand are you going to buy this time? And what's your budget?

the thread is already a bit old, so still no new laptop here, however I consider buying another Lenovo Thinkpad again, a used one, because the Dell is soooooo incredily slow....I really have to resist smashing that thing every time I start it!

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sth we should do more often anyway Jun 17, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Inez Ulrich wrote:

.... now it is working again, so for now I don't have to buy another one....

One of the good things about this crisis is that we spend time fixing things instead of buying new ones.

your are right, Tom. I'm curious how things will turn out in the long run...I think the worst is yet to come

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Over Jun 17, 2020

Inez Ulrich wrote:

...I think the worst is yet to come

Yes- everybody thinks it's over. There's an unpleasant surprise coming.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:22
Chinese to English
+ ...
A good time Jun 17, 2020

This is not a bad time to be buying a laptop, if you can push your budget to the range of 500 EU, because the Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 at 549 EU will blow most new laptops twice its price out of the water, never mind used ones.

Jean Dimitriadis

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 17, 2020

Lincoln Hui wrote:

This is not a bad time to be buying a laptop, if you can push your budget to the range of 500 EU, because the Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 at 549 EU will blow most new laptops twice its price out of the water, never mind used ones.

you are probably right, but as jobs have become scarce lately I cannot affort sepnding € 500 or more. I've seen a used but completely checked and cleaned Thinkpad T430, like the one I already had, with 8 GB, 500 GB Ram and Windows 10 for less than € 200,- . So that is my price range for now.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
SSD Jun 17, 2020

At €200 there aren't many alternatives, but having a traditional hard drive and not an SSD is a problem.

I'm also not convinced that it's actually an upgrade, since the two laptops have basically the same specs. You may be spending €200 for no more than what a fresh reinstall and a €50 RAM upgrade at a local computer shop can give you.

If I had to buy a laptop at that price range, I would probably look at something
... See more
At €200 there aren't many alternatives, but having a traditional hard drive and not an SSD is a problem.

I'm also not convinced that it's actually an upgrade, since the two laptops have basically the same specs. You may be spending €200 for no more than what a fresh reinstall and a €50 RAM upgrade at a local computer shop can give you.

If I had to buy a laptop at that price range, I would probably look at something like the Chuwi Herobook Pro (€299): https://www.amazon.de/CHUWI-HeroBook-Ultrabook-Geminil-Windows/dp/B083B8L7Q9

I'm not going to give it a ringing endorsement, but I have more confidence in a cheap modern Chinese crapbook than an 8-year old laptop.

One more option at the €299 price range: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B086MF28KF
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
New vs. Reinstall Jun 18, 2020

Lincoln Hui wrote:

On principle you are right. But the refurbished laptop may be cleaned inside (dust --> heat --> noise & throttling) and have received a new battery. Cleaning + battery may cost additiol 40 bucks in the local store.

Apart of that, a fresh install implies that you loose the old software and its settings, licenses etc. This can be a real problem for people who are no techies. IMHO such people should keep the older computer for a while after they bought a new one.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:22
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Both Lenovo and Dell have a lot of good models Jun 18, 2020

I won't go for HP no matter what. I had a few HP ones before, all of them broke down after 3 years' usage.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
. Jun 18, 2020

Rolf Keller wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

On principle you are right. But the refurbished laptop may be cleaned inside (dust --> heat --> noise & throttling) and have received a new battery. Cleaning + battery may cost additiol 40 bucks in the local store.

Apart of that, a fresh install implies that you loose the old software and its settings, licenses etc. This can be a real problem for people who are no techies. IMHO such people should keep the older computer for a while after they bought a new one.

Maybe, maybe not, but either way spending 200 EUR for a microscopic upgrade or even non-upgrade is simply not very responsible money management. Stuff like this is for people with too much money, not for people with too little.

Either spend a couple of months more to save up for an actual upgrade, or bite down on what they have. And even with a 300 EUR budget, there's probably a smarter way to spend it.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 18, 2020

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Rolf Keller wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Maybe, maybe not, but either way spending 200 EUR for a microscopic upgrade or even non-upgrade is simply not very responsible money management. Stuff like this is for people with too much money, not for people with too little.

Either spend a couple of months more to save up for an actual upgrade, or bite down on what they have. And even with a 300 EUR budget, there's probably a smarter way to spend it.

sure, but the Lenovo I had before the Dell was very good for my purpose, so there is no reason why I shouldn't buy another one now. No need to spend extra money if it is not necessary, especially in times like these. Thanks, guys, for your input, though!!

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
E560 Jun 19, 2020

Hi Inez
I've had a Lenovo E560 for four years now and it's still going strong, might even keep it longer than my usual limit of 5 years.
I got it with a hybrid hard drive then bought a Samsung EVO SSD on ebay for about €100 and used the original hard drive as a backup after cloning it.
The only thing I've changed since then is the keyboard last year as the over-used Ctrl button spring broke. New keyboard was €50 and real easy to change.

It's got a great 15.6 ma
... See more
Hi Inez
I've had a Lenovo E560 for four years now and it's still going strong, might even keep it longer than my usual limit of 5 years.
I got it with a hybrid hard drive then bought a Samsung EVO SSD on ebay for about €100 and used the original hard drive as a backup after cloning it.
The only thing I've changed since then is the keyboard last year as the over-used Ctrl button spring broke. New keyboard was €50 and real easy to change.

It's got a great 15.6 matte screen, had 8 GB RAM now 16 (but 8 is fine), i5 CPU which is best for battery life and you don't need an i7 for our work. The battery last ages, up to a day unless you have the screen up full outdoors, which you can and it's bright enough to work in the sun.

You should be able to get a refurbished Thinkpad for about €300.

Original specs
E560 i5 (1 hours less battery life with i7)
500Gb SSHD
1920x1080 IPS 250 cd/m², high resolution display
8 Gb RAM (now 16 Gb)
Windows 10 home (English)
€840
Collapse

arash saffar
arash saffar
Iran
Local time: 18:52
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Help Jun 19, 2020

Hello. I think you need a laptop with this configure. i7- 8GB Ram- !TB or 500GB SSD- 2GB Graphics. also, I guess ASUS or LENOVO is suitable for you. I hope it can help.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My reply Jun 19, 2020

arash saffar wrote:
i7, 8GB Ram, ...500GB SSD, 2GB Graphics

This puts it in the $750+ price range for a new laptop, although locally I was able to find a Lenovo ThinkPad T440p refurbished for $350 (it was originally released in March 2016).

david william
david william
United States
I Think You Should Search Dec 15, 2020

You can checkout a reselling marketplace like Poshmark Or others. So, you can buy an old one but for specs, you can read the guide.

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
LG Gram Feb 2, 2021

I would suggest LG Gram series: the lightest laptop ever.

I just bought a 17 inch LG gram 17. The weight is only 1.3 KG, even lighter than my 13 inch Macbook air.

The 2k screen is gorgeous too.

lbone

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need a new laptop - suggestions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »