Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
22 years old - too late to learn a new language?
Thread poster: vchampea
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:34
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I was in love with everything... Jul 26, 2010

... the man, Copenhagen, his famly... He was the reason I came to Denmark, but I had one or two ideas about it in advance.

Anything that makes you keep working, and helps you enjoy hard work most of the time. It has its rewards, and you can get almost addicted to playing with words, learning new words or idioms, and learning the new ways of looking at the world that come with a new culture.

Half a lifetime later it´s a different kind of love, but in my case it is defin
... See more
... the man, Copenhagen, his famly... He was the reason I came to Denmark, but I had one or two ideas about it in advance.

Anything that makes you keep working, and helps you enjoy hard work most of the time. It has its rewards, and you can get almost addicted to playing with words, learning new words or idioms, and learning the new ways of looking at the world that come with a new culture.

Half a lifetime later it´s a different kind of love, but in my case it is definitely still there. And I am still learning!

BTW my father was still working with languages and complaining that there was only one alphabet on his computer until he was over eighty... But he stopped taking on new languages somewhat earlier.
Collapse

federsmiths
federsmiths
Local time: 11:34
Italian to English
+ ...
not too late Aug 11, 2010

I think 22 is absolutely not to late for learning a language. Not in the least, I mean.
Though the perfect age is when you are a child, 22 years old is still a perfect age to begin. I learned English at the age of 33 and now I possess the language very well. So go ahead with you dream. Good luck.

Nicole L. R.
Nicole L. R.
Ireland
Member (2008)
Portuguese
+ ...
You can do it! Aug 12, 2010

"It is never too late" is all you have to keep in mind. Otherwise you set it to believe that you can not and will not learn something new.

I am Brazilian, studied English for 12 years, have been working in the translation business for 5 years, and now I am living in Sweden. Actually, I am living here since 2008, but I was never interested in learning Swedish, as English was enough for me to communicate around here. Only after two years and after deciding that could be nice and usefu
... See more
"It is never too late" is all you have to keep in mind. Otherwise you set it to believe that you can not and will not learn something new.

I am Brazilian, studied English for 12 years, have been working in the translation business for 5 years, and now I am living in Sweden. Actually, I am living here since 2008, but I was never interested in learning Swedish, as English was enough for me to communicate around here. Only after two years and after deciding that could be nice and useful to learn a third language, I feel that some words are finally growing on me. Slowly I have been allowing myself to learn and I feel like what I learnt in the last months is much more than what I learnt in the last year and a half just because I am interested now. And this really can change everything. I bought dictionaries, have been collecting glossaries, have been listening to podcasts, have been trying to find words that I already know in magazines and newspapers, everything I ask my husband to teach me something new (mainly pronunciation) ... and it is going much faster that I predicted.

Go for it! 22 years is nothing! You can do anything you want.

Good luck!!!
Collapse

Catherine Muir
Catherine Muir  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:34
Indonesian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I am living proof that it's never too late! Aug 12, 2010

Ageism is not a good look; we must keep learning until we 'fall off our perch'. It may not be as easy to learn a language in middle age or later as it is in infancy, but that's no reason not to have a go at it. Although I studied Latin and French in high school, and continued French at university (which I didn't begin until I was 26 years old, when my children started primary school), I did not begin to study Indonesian until I was 50 years old. Based in Jakarta for 2 months and not able to s... See more
Ageism is not a good look; we must keep learning until we 'fall off our perch'. It may not be as easy to learn a language in middle age or later as it is in infancy, but that's no reason not to have a go at it. Although I studied Latin and French in high school, and continued French at university (which I didn't begin until I was 26 years old, when my children started primary school), I did not begin to study Indonesian until I was 50 years old. Based in Jakarta for 2 months and not able to speak the language, I enrolled in an intensive course when I returned home to Sydney and took to it like a duck to water. I then went on to complete the four-year undergraduate courses in two years, including intermediate and advanced levels 'in-country' in West Sumatra. Within 3 years of beginning study of the language, I had passed the translator and interpreter exams here in Australia and entered the TI industry, while also teaching Indonesian (and ESL) at primary, secondary and community college levels. I am now 66 years old, engaged full-time as a freelance translator and would encourage anyone who has breath in them to study a language or a trade, take up a new hobby, or go into a new line of work. For enjoyment, I began to study Farsi (Persian) two years ago, as well. As I've always told my students, the brain is a muscle; use it or lose it.Collapse

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
"Never too late" Aug 12, 2010

It is certainly not too late when you are 22. However this mantra "never too late" seems nonsense to me.
I am currently watching several people around 70 who have always been easy learners and are now trying to learn another foreign language. I witness their relation between learning and trying to be a disaster. The frustration is enormous, the result tiny or inexistent.
I think one could safely call this "too late".

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Don't let hope get the best of you! Aug 12, 2010

All these encouraging words. For shame. At 22, your life is probably about 25% over. How could you possibly think of taking such a step with so little time left? And then there is hardening of the arteries to consider. Your generation possibly has the worst dietary habits of the last century, and this drastically affects learning abilities. Those of you who don't have clogged arteries with diminished blood flow to the brain usually suffer from ADHD.

Moreover, there are moral dimensi
... See more
All these encouraging words. For shame. At 22, your life is probably about 25% over. How could you possibly think of taking such a step with so little time left? And then there is hardening of the arteries to consider. Your generation possibly has the worst dietary habits of the last century, and this drastically affects learning abilities. Those of you who don't have clogged arteries with diminished blood flow to the brain usually suffer from ADHD.

Moreover, there are moral dimensions to consider. Ignorance of foreign languages on your part provides security to those who assist you in bridging cultural gaps. Given the dreadful economic situation in today's world, do you really think it would be right to take the bread from a tour guide's table in a country you visit? I hope not.

So if you're asking permission for this endeavor, I would respond: permission denied.
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 04:34
English to Russian
+ ...
My personal experience Aug 12, 2010

What a great thread!

Let me tell you my story, for encouragement. I came to the US at the age of 25, speaking just a few words of English. I threw all my energy into learning English, and 6 month later, I was able to converse in practically any situation, as well as read and write with only a minimal use of a dictionary. Since then I have continued to improve and fine-tune my English skills. By the way, I never went to school to learn English - it was disciplined self-study with
... See more
What a great thread!

Let me tell you my story, for encouragement. I came to the US at the age of 25, speaking just a few words of English. I threw all my energy into learning English, and 6 month later, I was able to converse in practically any situation, as well as read and write with only a minimal use of a dictionary. Since then I have continued to improve and fine-tune my English skills. By the way, I never went to school to learn English - it was disciplined self-study with grammar books, audio tapes (it was in pre-internet days) and lots and lots of practice with real people.

At the age of 27, I started to learn Spanish, again without going to school - books, audio tapes and practice with Spanish speakers. Nine years later, at 36, I got my first paid job as an English-Spanish interpreter.

I have no doubt in my mind that you can do it, too. However, I would advise you to be a bit more realistic about the time frame. Yes, you can do it - but you cannot do it quickly. It will take time and lots of self-discipline, but if you apply yourself to it, you will arrive to your goal. Good luck to you!
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:34
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Asian Studies minor without required language study? Aug 13, 2010

Are you sure didn't undertake any language study, or do you just mean you didn't have a language major? I've never heard of an undergrad Asian (or regional) studies program that didn't require four semesters or so of relevant language study. You probably can't even get a college degree of any kind (or even a high school diploma) without language study of some sort.

So surely you've studied languages somewhere along the line, as, for all practical learning purposes, an adult. In a
... See more
Are you sure didn't undertake any language study, or do you just mean you didn't have a language major? I've never heard of an undergrad Asian (or regional) studies program that didn't require four semesters or so of relevant language study. You probably can't even get a college degree of any kind (or even a high school diploma) without language study of some sort.

So surely you've studied languages somewhere along the line, as, for all practical learning purposes, an adult. In any case, it's definitely not too late if you're willing to invest the time, effort and resources according to a well-thought-out plan.

A harder question to answer - assuming you are starting from scratch - is what language to pick that will be most suitable for you personally as well as most profitable by the time you master it and over the course of your career. That's probably where you should be focusing your energies.

PS: I think we can take KSL Berlin's modest proposal as satire.

[Edited at 2010-08-13 08:10 GMT]
Collapse

vchampea
vchampea
TOPIC STARTER
Asian Studies Minor Aug 13, 2010

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

So surely you've studied languages somewhere along the line, as, for all practical learning purposes, an adult. In any case, it's definitely not too late if you're willing to invest the time, effort and resources according to a well-thought-out plan.

A harder question to answer - assuming you are starting from scratch - is what language to pick that will be most suitable for you personally as well as most profitable by the time you master it and over the course of your career. That's probably where you should be focusing your energies.

PS: I think we can take KSL Berlin's modest proposal as satire.

[Edited at 2010-08-13 08:10 GMT]

The Asian Studies program at my university is a lighter version of the International Studies major. If I was an International Studies major I would have needed to study a foreign language. I decided on my minor late in college. I chose the minor instead of the major because it still allowed me to graduate quickly, which is something I would not have been able to do if I chose the major because of the foreign language requirement.

Of course I have studied a foreign language before. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school, but I was not very motivated to learn so I lost interest very quickly. I think it's good that I am deciding what language to study now rather than before. I probably would have continued to study Spanish if I had to choose when I started college, which wouldn't have been the best use of my time for someone who is interested in Asia.

Kroz Wado
Kroz Wado
Japan
Local time: 20:34
Japanese to English
Not too late Sep 22, 2010

Wow, there's a lot of positive response here. It's definitely not impossible, and I learnt most of my Japanese after coming to Japan at the age of 21. That said, I was bilingual in a different language beforehand, and Japanese is very linguistically distant from romance languages, although perhaps more rewarding for it. Nonetheless, coming to Japan - it's a worthwhile experience even if you don't decide to be a translator in the end.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:34
English to Thai
+ ...
My fifties Sep 22, 2010

When I entered 50, my interest to study a new language decays along with my long eyesight. I am still attracted by foreign language vocabularies but my eyes hardly accept new words. Your 22 year old days are below my fifties. I am glad you are eager to learn even more. Keep your physical readiness as healthy as possible!

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Berenice Font
Berenice Font  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:34
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never say Never! Sep 22, 2010

Motivation and effort are the ingredients for success in any goal you set for yourself. It is not late at all, specially because 22 is sooooo young!

I strongly encourage you to learn another language. My advice is, if you can spend sometime in the country, surrounded by natives, forced to hear and speak, you will learn much easier!

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Not too late, BUT Sep 22, 2010

There is a big difference between being able to speak Japanese and...read it.

I started Japanese at Uni but after just six months I decided to go to Japan to see if I really liked the country before continuing (or not) studying the language. I arrived in the countryside near Nagoya at the age of 19, I had found work in a museum where most of the staff was supposed to speak English. As you have already guessed, no one in the whole museum spoke a work of English (except maybe for hel
... See more
There is a big difference between being able to speak Japanese and...read it.

I started Japanese at Uni but after just six months I decided to go to Japan to see if I really liked the country before continuing (or not) studying the language. I arrived in the countryside near Nagoya at the age of 19, I had found work in a museum where most of the staff was supposed to speak English. As you have already guessed, no one in the whole museum spoke a work of English (except maybe for hello and thank you), I was the only foreigner in town, and it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. Within just a few months I was speaking fluently and able to undertand pretty much everything on TV.

However, if you want to become a Translator, it is a completely different story.
You can learn a new alphabet almost overnight, but for Japanese (or Chinese), you will have to spend long years and learn thousands of characters to be able to read fast enough to work efficiently.

[Modifié le 2010-09-22 15:20 GMT]

[Modifié le 2010-09-22 15:22 GMT]
Collapse

Louise Etheridge
Louise Etheridge
United Kingdom
Turning Japanese Sep 22, 2010

22 is definitely not too late to start learning a new language. I started learning Italian when I was 26 with no problems (admittedly I already had French and Spanish under my belt).

However, Japanese is obviously a totally different language, without the similar roots that you'll find in European languages. In order to succeed you will really need to immerse yourself in the culture - I mean, eat, breath and sleep Japanese - and probably be prepared to do so for several years.
... See more
22 is definitely not too late to start learning a new language. I started learning Italian when I was 26 with no problems (admittedly I already had French and Spanish under my belt).

However, Japanese is obviously a totally different language, without the similar roots that you'll find in European languages. In order to succeed you will really need to immerse yourself in the culture - I mean, eat, breath and sleep Japanese - and probably be prepared to do so for several years. But I'm sure the experience will be fun. You have time on your side, it should still be easy to make friends at your age and get the conversational experience you'll need to be fluent and understand the culture.

Don't think it's going to be easy, but if you really have the drive you're half way there already. In my view, living in the country, making the language your reality is what counts. We humans all have the ability to learn languages, we're born with it. Later in life it's just a question of effort.

Also, have you considered other languages or does it have to be Japanese? If translation is your ultimate goal, you might find you get there a lot quicker with something else...

Best of luck!
Collapse

Henry Dotterer

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:34
SITE FOUNDER
You can do it Apr 23, 2020

vchampea wrote:

I just finished up my bachelor's degree: BS in Radio/TV/Film, Minor in Asian Studies. This is not exactly something I would choose if I could start all over again, but the past is gone. I must look ahead now. I'm very interested in a career in translation. Unfortunately I did not study a second language in college. I'm thinking about going to graduate school in Japan. I hope that the immersive experience will allow me to learn Japanese quickly and eventually I can make my way into translation. Is this an unrealistic goal? Translators need to be experts in their second language, which takes years of study and experience. I'm determined to work as hard as I can to learn Japanese. What advice do you have for me?

You can do it. I was in the same situation, starting at 22, and I did it, with Japanese. Email me if you want to talk. Henry at ProZ.com.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

22 years old - too late to learn a new language?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »