Thread poster: Frederique Griffith
Frederique Griffith
Frederique Griffith
United States
Local time: 04:45
French to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2014

Someone is asking me for 100 sample of my work for a possible translation job.
That seems excessive!
And how do you send a sample? You send both documents in the pair of languages?

Thanks for your help,

Monika Rozwarzewska
Monika Rozwarzewska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:45
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
100 sample Mar 6, 2014

Do you mean 100-words sample?
If so, I don't think it is too big. And yes, when I receive such requests, I send both documents, in my case Polish and English.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not a 100-word test? Mar 6, 2014

Are you sure they aren't asking if you would be prepared to translate 100 words that they provide, as a test (probably for free)? That's very common.

They would normally only ask for 2-3 samples of your work. The easiest thing to do for that is upload them to your profile. Then you just have to give a link. Unless they want a very specific subject area. But 100 samples, however short, would take a long time to get together, and would be a totally unreasonable request, IMHO.

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:45
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
100 samples? Mar 6, 2014

As Monica and Sheila said, I think (and I hope) they ask for a 100-words test, and it is a reasonable request.
But if they ask for 100 sample, it is totally different (and not reasonable, of course).

And I send both documents, (source and target text), but you can do as Sheila suggested, and give a link to your profile, if you uploaded some samples there.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:45
English to Russian
+ ...
what do you send Mar 6, 2014

nothing

Frederique Griffith
Frederique Griffith
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 6, 2014

I thank you for the responses. Yes, it said a 100 work sample, but I am going to believe they meant 100 WORDS sample. And I will post them on my profile with a link to it.
Thank you

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
Just send them an example of something you've done Mar 6, 2014

Make sure that you don't include anything confidential in the sample. 100 samples is way too much. A 100-word sample is normal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

work samples: what do you send someone who requests a job sample

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »