Thread poster: Carina Tschaitschmann
Carina Tschaitschmann
Carina Tschaitschmann
Austria
Local time: 10:53
English to German
+ ...
May 8, 2014

I've been working as a freelancer/outsourcer for a while now and am planning to open my own translation agency soon.

I'm now looking into purchasing Trados but not sure which version to buy?

Trados Freelance/Freelance Plus/Pro?

Obviously, Pro would be best for a translation agency but comes with price tag of 2,500 Euros...

Might the Freelance version be sufficient?

I'm planning to offer a lot of languages but will most likely not
... See more
I've been working as a freelancer/outsourcer for a while now and am planning to open my own translation agency soon.

I'm now looking into purchasing Trados but not sure which version to buy?

Trados Freelance/Freelance Plus/Pro?

Obviously, Pro would be best for a translation agency but comes with price tag of 2,500 Euros...

Might the Freelance version be sufficient?

I'm planning to offer a lot of languages but will most likely not work with more than 5 languages on a regular basis...
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:53
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi! May 8, 2014

I have no idea how big your agency will be at the beginning. If it is going to be just you or you and 1 more person then Freelance Plus should work fine. One important limitation is that you cannot use it in domain based network - you would have to use a "Workgroup".

You could use it for a while and then see if the volume of work justifies buying a pro license.

Alternatively you could buy Memoq which has price and functionality very similar to that of Studio but even in
... See more
I have no idea how big your agency will be at the beginning. If it is going to be just you or you and 1 more person then Freelance Plus should work fine. One important limitation is that you cannot use it in domain based network - you would have to use a "Workgroup".

You could use it for a while and then see if the volume of work justifies buying a pro license.

Alternatively you could buy Memoq which has price and functionality very similar to that of Studio but even in freelance version has no limit as to the number of languages you may use.

Anyway - good luck with your business!

Stanislaw
Collapse

Carina Tschaitschmann
Carina Tschaitschmann
Austria
Local time: 10:53
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 8, 2014

It's only gonna be me for now...thanks for your response, I appreciate it!

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:53
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
One more thing May 8, 2014

Once you buy a licence (or even before - most tools offer at least 30 days trial) assure that you spend enough time on learning all available functions and limitations of the tool you choose.

There are some options which should allow work in Studio even in the pairs not covered by your licence (like for instance exporting for external review - what allows to see text of the bilingual file in a table in MS Word document)

Best Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados for translation agency...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »