Using jobs you did for a translation agency as a sample
Thread poster: Christina Siegel
Christina Siegel
Christina Siegel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:21
German to English
May 20, 2020

So I'm trying to figure out if it's okay and I guess "legal" to use translations you have done for a translation agency as a sample for other clients. I would absolutely not claim that I did the work for the direct client; however, would it be acceptable to say something like this "For a translation sample, please see the article XY on website XY" that was translated by me (if for example a specific article or document was translated on a website)? I don't want to break any confidentiality polic... See more
So I'm trying to figure out if it's okay and I guess "legal" to use translations you have done for a translation agency as a sample for other clients. I would absolutely not claim that I did the work for the direct client; however, would it be acceptable to say something like this "For a translation sample, please see the article XY on website XY" that was translated by me (if for example a specific article or document was translated on a website)? I don't want to break any confidentiality policies and would never use personal documents that were translated, but if my translation shows up as a document or on a website, is it acceptable to do this? And a follow-up question would be, is it okay to say that you've translated it for an agency, or would that reflect badly on me?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Christina May 20, 2020

Christina Siegel wrote:
Would it be acceptable to say something like this "For a translation sample, please see the article XY on website XY" that was translated by me?

Yes, I don't think you're endangering anyone's confidentiality by claiming that you are the translator of a publicly available text.

Is it okay to say that you've translated it for an agency, or would that reflect badly on me?

It won't reflect poorly on you if you admit to that, but the specific identity of the agency is part of the confidential information (unless it is revealed somewhere public).

Christina Siegel
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Christina Siegel
Christina Siegel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:21
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Great, thank you for your feedback. I was just so unsure about it! May 20, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Christina Siegel wrote:
Would it be acceptable to say something like this "For a translation sample, please see the article XY on website XY" that was translated by me?

Yes, I don't think you're endangering anyone's confidentiality by claiming that you are the translator of a publicly available text.

Is it okay to say that you've translated it for an agency, or would that reflect badly on me?

It won't reflect poorly on you if you admit to that, but the specific identity of the agency is part of the confidential information (unless it is revealed somewhere public).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using jobs you did for a translation agency as a sample

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »