Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Just getting started, any tips for a new member to get some gigs?
Thread poster: Israel Cortes
Israel Cortes
Israel Cortes
Mexico
Local time: 16:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Nov 24, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Juan Perez wrote:
most employers just pay 6,000 to 8,000 MXN a month, so any kind of job that's above 10,000 MXN is considered a "great opportunity".

You don't have an employer and you aren't an employee. You're a self-employed person with clients. I don't know how things work in Mexico, but you should be quoting gross rates. From that, unlike an employee, you probably have to pay out for healthcare, pensions, maternity/paternity cover, sickness cover, training costs, hardware and software, books, consumables, subscriptions to places like ProZ.com, professional insurance, and so on. You also probably work from home so it's your electricity you're using. You may also have to pay an accountant to manage all that. You really can't compare your rate to an employee's pay scale.

I totally agree, that's why I mentioned the average to live a decent life in Mexico, which is of 10,000 to 13,000 MXN. With 4 USD per hour you are way above that number (19,000 MXN a month = to 8 hours of paid work per day for 30 days), which takes care of all the monthly costs you are mentioning, also I studied Business Administration so I can save the accountant money by doing it myself at least for now that I'm on my first steps. Regardless, I realize it's a very low rate and I'll make the necessary tweaks to remain competitive in this site but also credible, so I appreciate that you've took your time to read my post and your guideance.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just getting started, any tips for a new member to get some gigs?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »