Thread poster: Eman Ibrahim
Eman Ibrahim
Eman Ibrahim
Egypt
Local time: 10:48
English to Arabic
Sep 26, 2017

Dear All,

I need your help in customizing a filter in Heartsome TMX editor to find the segments in which the source is larger than target and vice versa. The same check that we all have in Trados. Is that possible?

Regards,
Eman

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:48
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I have no idea how to do this myself but would be interested in it too. Sep 27, 2017

I have a very large number of TMs in TMX format, and sometimes need to clean them up a bit.

For example, I have a large TMX with EMEA data with quite a few misalignments (see my post on
... See more
I have a very large number of TMs in TMX format, and sometimes need to clean them up a bit.

For example, I have a large TMX with EMEA data with quite a few misalignments (see my post on this @ https://www.proz.com/forum/medical/319022-looking_for_properly_aligned_tmxs_of_the_european_medicines_agency_emea_corpus_dutch_english.html ), which have resulted in very short source segments with very long target segments, which a filter like this would catch.

AlignFactory has the feature, but as far as I know, you can only run it directly after the alignment process. That is, you can't run it on existing TMX is, which would be great.

I'll have to check, but I think that CafeTran can also do this in "TMX editing mode". However, if the TMX's are extremely large, CafeTran sometimes struggles to open them.

Michael

[Edited at 2017-09-27 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 09:48
CafeTran can't do it Sep 27, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

I'll have to check, but I think that CafeTran can also do this in "TMX editing mode". However, if the TMX's are extremely large, CafeTran sometimes struggles to open them.

Michael

CafeTran cannot be your uncle here, but http://logrusglobal.com/UserFiles/File/TMXEditor/TMX-Editor-2.0-Help-EN.docx tells:

Relative size – searches for segments in which the difference between the length of the source text and the translation differs by > 60%

Didn't test it.

For what it's worth: in the past I've used an Excel sheet with a formula to compare the length of A1 and B1 etc. Just propagate it for all 4 million lines .

[Edited at 2017-09-27 10:12 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:48
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 27, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Michael

CafeTran cannot be your uncle here, but http://logrusglobal.com/UserFiles/File/TMXEditor/TMX-Editor-2.0-Help-EN.docx tells:

Relative size – searches for segments in which the difference between the length of the source text and the translation differs by > 60%

Didn't test it.

For what it's worth: in the past I've used an Excel sheet with a formula to compare the length of A1 and B1 etc. Just propagate it for all 4 million lines .

[Edited at 2017-09-27 10:12 GMT]

From my testing, the Logrus TMX editor can't handle big stuff very well at all.

Eman Ibrahim
Eman Ibrahim
Egypt
Local time: 10:48
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 7, 2017

Many thanks for your replies.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Filter Customization

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »