jokerman
Germany
Local time: 15:23
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 17, 2015

Hello everybody,

this is a question specifically for people living in India.

I have just had a discussion with one of our clients regarding the use of the term 'to spoil someone' in India.
For all I know, 'to spoil someone' (as an English term) usualy means "to affect something in a way that makes it worse, less attractive, or less enjoyable" (e.g. you would spoil a child if you allow it to to everything it wants).

Now, the client is disagreeing, sayi
... See more
Hello everybody,

this is a question specifically for people living in India.

I have just had a discussion with one of our clients regarding the use of the term 'to spoil someone' in India.
For all I know, 'to spoil someone' (as an English term) usualy means "to affect something in a way that makes it worse, less attractive, or less enjoyable" (e.g. you would spoil a child if you allow it to to everything it wants).

Now, the client is disagreeing, saying that in India the usual meaning of 'to spoil myself' is different.

Could you please help me clarify this (for both, the client any myself):
what is the first meaning that comes into your mind when you hear the expression 'to spoil myslef'?

Thanks!
Igor
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:53
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Spoil someone vs spoil oneself Jun 17, 2015

I would make a distinction between these two.

Spoil someone means to cause deterioration in him, whereas spoil oneself is more of an idiomatic usage where you indulge yourself, that is treat yourself to excess pleasures, choices, and other goodies.

I don't think the way Indians (that is those Indians who are familiar with English) use these phrases is any different from the way other English speakers use these phrases.

No negativity is associated with eithe
... See more
I would make a distinction between these two.

Spoil someone means to cause deterioration in him, whereas spoil oneself is more of an idiomatic usage where you indulge yourself, that is treat yourself to excess pleasures, choices, and other goodies.

I don't think the way Indians (that is those Indians who are familiar with English) use these phrases is any different from the way other English speakers use these phrases.

No negativity is associated with either of these phrases. They are straightforward phrases of English whose meaning is clear to anyone who knows English reasonably well.
Collapse

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Local time: 15:23
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Balasubramaniam Jun 18, 2015

thanks you very much for your explanations, Balasubramaniam - that makes sense to me indeed and really helps!!

[Bearbeitet am 2015-06-18 17:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Amar Nath[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'To spoil someone' in India

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »