Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Most translated website in the world?
Thread poster: Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 14:51
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Mar 26, 2014

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew: What is the most translated website in the world? And how many languages is it translated into?

Kirti Vashee
Kirti Vashee  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
Most translated Mar 26, 2014

Quite possible this would be a biblical information site with evangelical motivations

Something like the LDS (Mormon) site or other major online churches.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:51
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Wikipedia Mar 26, 2014

I would say...287 languages so far

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias

or maybe this Jehovah’s Witnesses website, not sure

http://www.jw.org/en/

[Edited at 2014-03-26 19:35 GMT]

Javier Wasserzug
Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Compañías Mar 26, 2014

Coca Cola? Toyota? Philip Morris?

Alain Alameddine
Lebanon
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
www.jw.org is the most translated website in the world Apr 6, 2014

Wikipedia is the runner-up with 287 languages, but Jehovah's Witnesses have translated their website, www.jw.org, into more than 300 languages. And they are actually reaching people in 6,700 languages. This is in line with Revelation 14:6, which speaks of an "everlasting good news to declare to those who dwell on the earth, to every nation and tribe and tongue and people."

It's pretty amazing, especially
... See more
Wikipedia is the runner-up with 287 languages, but Jehovah's Witnesses have translated their website, www.jw.org, into more than 300 languages. And they are actually reaching people in 6,700 languages. This is in line with Revelation 14:6, which speaks of an "everlasting good news to declare to those who dwell on the earth, to every nation and tribe and tongue and people."

It's pretty amazing, especially given the fact that the editors, translators, and IT guys are JW volunteers rather than salaried employees.

Here's a video about it: http://www.jw.org/en/publications/videos/good-news-translation-work/
Collapse

IPPWORLD
IPPWORLD
Singapore
Local time: 20:51
Member (2002)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Phenomenal localization project management May 12, 2014

I was really wondering how well the internationalization and localiation phases of this project has been managed to translate www.jw.org, into more than 300 languages, especially given the fact that the editors, translators, and IT guys are JW volunteers rather than salaried employees. Remarkable. Hats off.

... See more
I was really wondering how well the internationalization and localiation phases of this project has been managed to translate www.jw.org, into more than 300 languages, especially given the fact that the editors, translators, and IT guys are JW volunteers rather than salaried employees. Remarkable. Hats off.

Arun
IPPWORLD Translation Services, Singapore
Collapse

Alain Alameddine
Lebanon
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Phenomenal indeed! May 12, 2014

It is phenomenal indeed!

The same website, www.jw.org, has a video with more details about how Jehovah's Witnesses are organized and how they
... See more
It is phenomenal indeed!

The same website, www.jw.org, has a video with more details about how Jehovah's Witnesses are organized and how they manage to accomplish such a huge work: http://www.jw.org/en/publications/videos/organized-to-share-good-news/

[Edited at 2014-05-12 09:28 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: double post
MKH2489
MKH2489
United States
JW.ORG Aug 13, 2014

680 LANGUAGES AVAILABLE AS OF TODAY!!

http://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/world/campaign-to-advertise-website/

Max Ahumada
Max Ahumada  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed it is. Aug 14, 2014

Alain Alameddine wrote:

It's pretty amazing, especially given the fact that the editors, translators, and IT guys are JW volunteers rather than salaried employees.

Here's a video about it: http://www.jw.org/en/publications/videos/good-news-translation-work/

At least that is what read somewhere else as well.

But it is funny you should mention that. I also find it quite interesting that they volunteered for that. Jehovah's Witnesses is a very large community of very committed people (at least my impression upon answering the door, so I see what their driving force for taking on the massive localization of their website would be. I think the reason of their success (regardless of quality) is the fact that they might have been able work around much of the logistic complexity commercial projects need to face when attempting to do the same.

[Edited at 2014-08-14 03:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-14 03:21 GMT]

Mark
Mark
Local time: 13:51
Italian to English
Translated? Aug 14, 2014

I don't think that Wikipedia should count. A Wikipedia article may, in certain cases – by no means all and I suspect not even the majority – start as a translation of an article from the site in another language, but the nature of the system is such that the actual content of the articles, as well as the number of the articles written themselves, varies greatly from one language to another.

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Say what you will about this religious outfit... Aug 14, 2014

... but this is a stunning accomplishment. And as far as I can tell (in my languages), the quality of the translation is very good.

hwm
hwm
Kenya
Local time: 15:51
www.jw.org Sep 15, 2014

Currently standing at 701 translations inclusive of sign languages

Edward A Tokash
Edward A Tokash  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Annual meeting update Oct 23, 2014

According to the annual meeting the JW.org website is translated in over 550 languages and there's downloadable material in about 700 languages. More languages are planned, of course.

Though I do believe that the JW Language App is probably going to encourage more to want to study languages and volunteer to translate.

Vikasz
Vikasz
India
www.jw.org Mar 3, 2016

jw.org website reched 801 languages as of today 3- march-2015.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most translated website in the world?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »