https://www.proz.com/forum/internet_for_translators/273035-skype_permanently_online.html

Skype permanently online
Thread poster: Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 19:45
French to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2014

I seem to appear permanently online on Skype, even when my computer is shut down and the application is shut on my iPhone.
This is frustrating as I'm getting calls and messages even when I'm not online.
I don't have call forwarding activated.

I suspect - but am not sure - that the problem comes from Skype and Hotmail accounts being linked. I have two Hotmail accounts, the one that is associated with my Skype account is unlinked, but I can't find how to unlink the other
... See more
I seem to appear permanently online on Skype, even when my computer is shut down and the application is shut on my iPhone.
This is frustrating as I'm getting calls and messages even when I'm not online.
I don't have call forwarding activated.

I suspect - but am not sure - that the problem comes from Skype and Hotmail accounts being linked. I have two Hotmail accounts, the one that is associated with my Skype account is unlinked, but I can't find how to unlink the other hotmail account as of course when I go into Skype settings it tells me my Skype and Hotmail account is already unlinked - it doesn't take into account the second account.
(P.S. I know the second Hotmail account IS linked to Skype as when I go into that account via webmail I have the Skype icon to the right).

I've searched online on different Skype and Hotmail forums for a solution, but to no avail.

However maybe the reason I appear permanently online has nothing to do with Hotmail (I'd still like to unlink the accounts though!)

Can anybody help?
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:45
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Have you tried to manually set your Skype status? Aug 7, 2014

You can change the status yourself. Even if your computer is online you can change the status to offline, away, busy, etc. Maybe it would suffice?

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:45
French to German
+ ...
Online support Aug 7, 2014

Skype has a very good online support. Maybe you can that clear with the stuff? I did contact them for another problem this week-end and after having waited for 10 minutes they solved the problem.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:45
Japanese to English
+ ...
It doesn't poll you enough, I think Aug 7, 2014

When my wife signs off Skype on her computer, sometimes it takes two or three hours for the Skype program on my computer to show her signing off. Interestingly, signing on is nearly instantaneous always.

This leads me to believe that Skype doesn't actually check all that often to see if you are actually connected. This might have to do with saving resources, I don't know.

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:45
Member (2008)
English to French
Other devices Aug 7, 2014

Might you be signed in on your phone or tablet and have forgotten about it? If you close the app, the connection is not always closed - you would have to open the app, log out, and then close the app.

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
It happened to me as well Aug 7, 2014

And I solved the problem only by uninstalling Skype from my LG smartphone. It seemed that, even though I did shut the application on my phone, it kept "seeing me" as online. I have no idea of the reason why, but as I said, unistalling was the only, if radical, solution.

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Reunion
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Replies & Comments Aug 7, 2014

@Stanislas - normally the fact that my computer is turned off and the app is closed in my iPhone should be sufficient, but I could try manually setting my status to offline and seeing whether that makes any difference.

@Andrea - I've already posted on a Skype forum (in another thread), but got no response other than people saying they had the same problem. I've since posted my own thread, but have yet to get any feedback. I will let you know if I do.

@Orrin - this is no
... See more
@Stanislas - normally the fact that my computer is turned off and the app is closed in my iPhone should be sufficient, but I could try manually setting my status to offline and seeing whether that makes any difference.

@Andrea - I've already posted on a Skype forum (in another thread), but got no response other than people saying they had the same problem. I've since posted my own thread, but have yet to get any feedback. I will let you know if I do.

@Orrin - this is not just a couple of hours afterwards, this is on whole days where the computer is turned off and I'm not using my iPhone.

@Arianne - I haven't tried signing out on my iPhone, it could be a possible solution.

@Marina - I will try that and let you know whether it works. Did the problem start again if/when you reinstalled Skype on your smartphone?
Collapse

Carola BAYLE
Carola BAYLE  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
Same here but... Aug 7, 2014

... only on a laptop that I am only using for private purposes. Even if I do not use it for a couple of days, my private Skype account appears to be active. I do not have any hotmail account, but I guess it has something to do with Microsoft and Windows 8.1.
Of course I can manually set my status to absent, but I just want it to show that the computer is off.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
@ Catherine Aug 7, 2014

You are not the only one. I had agencies showing they are online but saying they are not online-e.g during the weekend. I did not believe them but I started to believe when a particular person from an agency said the same. No use quarrelling therefore since it was true. It seems something to do with SKYPE. Hope I am not online when my PC is firmly closed. Not that this solves your problem, but my 2cs

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Reunion
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mac not PC Aug 7, 2014

@Carola

FWIW I'm on a Mac not a PC, but I don't think it makes any difference to the problem or I would have mentioned it before.
I think it IS a Microsoft/Hotmail problem, but a software problem, not a hardware one.

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Didn't reinstall it Aug 7, 2014

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:

@Marina - I will try that and let you know whether it works. Did the problem start again if/when you reinstalled Skype on your smartphone?

I didn't reinstall it on my smartphone, so I don't know. But my contacts haven't told me anymore that I was always online since I uninstalled it.

I don't think it's a Hotmail problem because I have no Hotmail account - I forgot to tell you. I would rather say it's a smartphone/iPhone problem instead...

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Skype forum Aug 7, 2014

You can try this solution found on the Skype forum.

Cheers
Gianni

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:45
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Aug 7, 2014

2G Trad wrote:

You can try this solution found on the Skype forum.

Cheers
Gianni

Looks like my theory was correct. Skype isn't checking the status of user connectivity. I wonder if it's because they allow you to log in from multiple devices simultaneously?

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Skype support: chat with a staff member Aug 7, 2014

Concerning skype support I did not meant the forum. You can also chat in English with one of the staff members (you have to click on Still got a problem...). Sometimes you have to wait 30 min but it's really efficient!

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Reunion
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Skype problem possibly solved, but not Hotmail problem. Aug 8, 2014

@2G Trad - interesting, thanks for sharing.

@Andrea - I had a scary experience last week when I started a chat with Hotmail (not Skype) support about this. I wanted to send/show a screenshot and the person wanted to take control of my laptop to do that, I reluctantly accepted (I'd done it once before for VPN installation with a VPN company with no problems), but I wasn't comfortable and I felt the person didn't really know what they were doing (they launched Chrome as a browser alth
... See more
@2G Trad - interesting, thanks for sharing.

@Andrea - I had a scary experience last week when I started a chat with Hotmail (not Skype) support about this. I wanted to send/show a screenshot and the person wanted to take control of my laptop to do that, I reluctantly accepted (I'd done it once before for VPN installation with a VPN company with no problems), but I wasn't comfortable and I felt the person didn't really know what they were doing (they launched Chrome as a browser although Safari was already open, etc.), and I couldn't 'eject' them. In the end they needed to restart the computer as it had frozen so I made sure the sharing ended there!

I might have found a solution to the Skype problem with the help of a third party friend. When I was offline apparently I had a white, green-outlined circle with a green tick in it next to my name, as I had set up voicemail. It seems this was enough to make some people think I was online. I've now stopped voicemail and I will see in the coming weeks if that solves the issue.

I still haven't solved the second-Hotmail-account-linked-to-Skype problem though; Andrea, I will perhaps try and contact Skype support about that.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skype permanently online

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »