Smart swiching between wifi connections
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:04
Dutch to English
Nov 15, 2017

My provider recently provided me with a 4G modem for free because the wired internet is so slow out here in the middle of nowhere. Although the same provider is also responsible for the fast and stable 4G on my smartphone, the connection to the 4G modem is very unstable (but very fast when it works). Apparently they are also experimenting with a service that combines 4G internet with the slow adsl connection for more stability, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any software that could do th... See more
My provider recently provided me with a 4G modem for free because the wired internet is so slow out here in the middle of nowhere. Although the same provider is also responsible for the fast and stable 4G on my smartphone, the connection to the 4G modem is very unstable (but very fast when it works). Apparently they are also experimenting with a service that combines 4G internet with the slow adsl connection for more stability, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any software that could do this for me? Is there such thing as a program that can monitor my internet connection and temporarily switch to the wired connection when 4G is down (and straight back to 4G when its up again)? My smartphone can supposedly do this, though I'm not very impressed with how it works.

Thanks,

Olly

[Edited at 2017-11-15 09:54 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 03:04
English to German
Router feature? Nov 15, 2017

Check your router's documentation. Some landline routers provide this possibility: If the main connection breaks they switch to a backup connection (e. g. a G4 usb stick) and vice versa.

(BTW, last summer I spent some weeks in The Netherlands in different regions, mostly on camping grounds in the countryside. Everywhere I got fast & reliable 4G connections via my netbook /w usb stick. Maybe there are better providers than yours?)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Smart swiching between wifi connections

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »