Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:06
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Jun 1, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Also, remember, the approximation of the number of matches given at the top of the first page is just a wild estimate.

Baran Keki wrote:
She got 371k results.

How many results did she *really* get? I mean, if she scrolls down to the bottom of the page, and then tries to visit the last page of the search, is she able to visit "page 11" or "page 21" and further? Or does Google then adjust the number to something more realistic?

I got only 5 results.

Same question: if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, can you visit a "page 2" etc?

[Edited at 2020-06-01 18:12 GMT]

I realize I phrased my sentence in an unfortunately misleading way when describing the screenshot I got from my friend. Of course, there is no way she could have 'actually' gotten 371k results page after page. You never get that. As you said Google shows a 'wild estimate' on top of the search results and when you get to the last page you get something like 115 results or so at the best of times. But, still, compared to only 5 results you'd go with 371k (or, say, in reality, 115) results and choose that word over the other (as this was a terminology search aimed at a very specific context). Apologies if I caused confusion, but I suspect I'm not the only person intrigued by such arbitrary search results produced by Google. I mean many people here must be searching terms for Kudoz questions at the very least, their suggestions must doubtless be influenced or informed by such random, confusing and arbitrary search results.

Davide Fezzardi
Davide Fezzardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:06
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
keywords search in Northern Italy Jun 2, 2020

Hello,
I wanted to try that search (i.e. « "anne sütü" "göğüs" ») from my PC in Northern Italy and Google shows there are "about 5 results (0.55 seconds)" although the search page displays about 30 occurrences.
At the end of the page I also read "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 30 already displayed".
When clicking on a link that says "repeat that search including omitted results" (my translation), the resu
... See more
Hello,
I wanted to try that search (i.e. « "anne sütü" "göğüs" ») from my PC in Northern Italy and Google shows there are "about 5 results (0.55 seconds)" although the search page displays about 30 occurrences.
At the end of the page I also read "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 30 already displayed".
When clicking on a link that says "repeat that search including omitted results" (my translation), the result page shows "about 885,000 results (0.39 seconds)" and, at the bottom of the page, 13 result pages (i.e. about 390 results).

I don't have much experience in using Bing search engine, and I don't know if it is a reliable source regarding result counts, but it seems to report the exact number of results instead of an estimate.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:06
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Davide Jun 2, 2020

Davide Fezzardi wrote:

Hello,
When clicking on a link that says "repeat that search including omitted results" (my translation), the result page shows "about 885,000 results (0.39 seconds)" and, at the bottom of the page, 13 result pages (i.e. about 390 results).

I don't have much experience in using Bing search engine, and I don't know if it is a reliable source regarding result counts, but it seems to report the exact number of results instead of an estimate.

That's very interesting. I didn't have this message about omitted entries in none of the Google searches I made, in fact I don't remember ever seeing such a message. So you've done the same search on Bing as well?

Davide Fezzardi
Davide Fezzardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:06
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
bing searc Jun 2, 2020

Hello Baran,
I haven't make that search in Bing previously, but I have done it now:
« "anne sütü" "göğüs" » returns to me "45,500 results"

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 16:06
Member (2011)
English to German
My search from a PC in the US (Google and Bing) Jun 2, 2020

Google

I searched for "anne sütü" and "göğüs" from a PC in the US (language German): "Ungefähr 5 Ergebnisse (0,47 Sekunden)"

At the bottom of the page: "Damit du nur die relevantesten Ergebnisse erhältst, wurden einige Einträge ausgelassen, die den 10 angezeigten Treffern sehr ähnlich sind. Du kannst bei Bedarf die Suche unter Einbeziehung der übersprungenen Ergebnisse wiederholen."

After clicking on the link: "Ungefähr 9
... See more
Google

I searched for "anne sütü" and "göğüs" from a PC in the US (language German): "Ungefähr 5 Ergebnisse (0,47 Sekunden)"

At the bottom of the page: "Damit du nur die relevantesten Ergebnisse erhältst, wurden einige Einträge ausgelassen, die den 10 angezeigten Treffern sehr ähnlich sind. Du kannst bei Bedarf die Suche unter Einbeziehung der übersprungenen Ergebnisse wiederholen."

After clicking on the link: "Ungefähr 920.000 Ergebnisse (0,36 Sekunden)"

Bing

I searched for "anne sütü" and "göğüs" from a PC in the US (language English): "55,100 Results".
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Huge difference in Google search results

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »