Becoming an interpreter in the UK - is a masters degree worth it/ necessary?
Thread poster: Ka Yee MECK
Ka Yee MECK
Ka Yee MECK
Local time: 14:54
Member (2012)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2017

Hi everyone sorry if this question has been posted before but I'd really appreciate some advice or pointers...

A bit on my background: I am a native Chinese speaker but am also fluent in English (near-native), having lived in the UK for 14 years. Since graduating from university with a BA (History of Art, Cambridge) in 2009 I have worked as an in-house translator/ copywriter/ sub-editor for various companies. I was made redundant 1.5 years ago and since then have been working as a f
... See more
Hi everyone sorry if this question has been posted before but I'd really appreciate some advice or pointers...

A bit on my background: I am a native Chinese speaker but am also fluent in English (near-native), having lived in the UK for 14 years. Since graduating from university with a BA (History of Art, Cambridge) in 2009 I have worked as an in-house translator/ copywriter/ sub-editor for various companies. I was made redundant 1.5 years ago and since then have been working as a freelance translator. Last year I had my first child (now 5 months old) and I'm considering doing a MA in Translation and Interpreting at Westminster University this September and have in fact already submitted my application. My goal is to become a formally qualified translator and interpreter.

However, as you can imagine, it's a huge financial and time commitment - tuition fees alone cost £7,500 and even though my mum has agreed to look after my son while I'm at uni and my husband will cover my living costs, it really is a massive commitment so I'd like to explore other options...

My questions are:

- Is a master's degree such as this one a prerequisite for getting work as an interpreter?

- Is an MA alone enough to secure work as an interpreter, or will I have to obtain other qualifications?

- I've heard about the Level 3 Community Interpreting course and the Level 6 DPSI course, which cost quite a lot less than a master's and take less time to complete. Do you need an MA in order to do these courses?

Thank you in advance!!
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
first thing first Feb 28, 2017

Interpreting and translating are two totally different beasts.
Certainly, there are good interpreters that are also good translators, and vice versa.
But there are also many very good translators who wouldn't want to go anywhere near interpreting, and some that tried or were pushed into interpreting with the result that they vowed to never ever get anywhere close to interpreting!
You need a particular psychological disposition for interpreting - which you either have or don't h
... See more
Interpreting and translating are two totally different beasts.
Certainly, there are good interpreters that are also good translators, and vice versa.
But there are also many very good translators who wouldn't want to go anywhere near interpreting, and some that tried or were pushed into interpreting with the result that they vowed to never ever get anywhere close to interpreting!
You need a particular psychological disposition for interpreting - which you either have or don't have.
You need also a lot of knowledge - that is something you can acquire and maintain - but if you don't have the predisposition for it, you won't do much interpreting.
To make a parallel: I know of people who breezed through the training for tourist guide, but the first time they took the mike in front of a bus full of tourists staring at them, just froze. Then got out of the bus and forgot about ever working as tourist guides.

Another aspect you have to take into account is that MOST clients in UK don't pay much - so it's simply not worth investing that kind of money (£7,500) unless you have reasonable chances of getting really good clients [and it is not in "community interpreting" you'll find them] Get hold of few Chinese interpreters member of AIIC and talk to them, that would probably be the best.
Collapse

Susannah DALE
Susannah DALE  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:54
French to English
+ ...
You need to learn the technique of interpreting Mar 10, 2017

Hi there,

Just a quick reply to mention that interpreting requires very specific techniques e.g. note-taking, listening and talking at the same time (for simultaneous) that you need to be taught and then must practise for several hours a day. I did an MA in Interpreting and Translating at Bath in 2005 and after a year I still didn't feel fully ready to work as an interpreter. I did a few conferences which I found pretty stressful, and eventually moved into translation which is much
... See more
Hi there,

Just a quick reply to mention that interpreting requires very specific techniques e.g. note-taking, listening and talking at the same time (for simultaneous) that you need to be taught and then must practise for several hours a day. I did an MA in Interpreting and Translating at Bath in 2005 and after a year I still didn't feel fully ready to work as an interpreter. I did a few conferences which I found pretty stressful, and eventually moved into translation which is much better suited to my personality (I tend to go blank when in a stressful situation - not ideal in the booth!). So I would definitely say you need to do some kind of interpreting course, otherwise you will never feel well prepared. Perhaps you could find a taster course before making the leap to a full-time MA?

Good luck!!

S.

[Edited at 2017-03-10 09:24 GMT]
Collapse

Ka Yee MECK
Ka Yee MECK
Member (2012)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies! Jul 15, 2021

Gosh, I didn't see your replies until four years later!!! So sorry. I'm looking to start a Level 3 Community Interpreting course this autumn. Wish me luck! Thank you all

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Becoming an interpreter in the UK - is a masters degree worth it/ necessary?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »