When interpreting: what tips can you share related to interpreting names
Thread poster: Diana García
Diana García
Diana García
Guatemala
Spanish
+ ...
Mar 10, 2019

When you are interpreting, have you forgotten proper names? what do you do to avoid forgetting such important information? do you have any tips or stories about it?

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:03
French to English
Pen and paper Mar 11, 2019

I tend to make a note of the names (in alphabetical order) and have that in front of me.
Names of the important people are usually known beforehand and so I practice pronouncing them and recalling what their function is.

Ricardo Suin
IrinaN
Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Daryo
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
look + sound + touch + smell + feel + act Mar 11, 2019

While it's difficult to quickly memorize the infamous 7±2 random items (including dates, numbers, and names), purposeful using repetitions, associations, mnemonics, shorthand and other approaches via different yet vivid sensory emotions, one can easily group those items in the known interrelated chunks of triggers. Just add another brick (element) to the wall (the story).

For example, I always repeat the name of a new contact while seeing and listening to that man, trying to find t
... See more
While it's difficult to quickly memorize the infamous 7±2 random items (including dates, numbers, and names), purposeful using repetitions, associations, mnemonics, shorthand and other approaches via different yet vivid sensory emotions, one can easily group those items in the known interrelated chunks of triggers. Just add another brick (element) to the wall (the story).

For example, I always repeat the name of a new contact while seeing and listening to that man, trying to find the best (strong) associations from the impression, considering the company, place, title, project, and so on. Also playing with words may help to remember exotic names and words.

Occasionally it's easier to remember WHAT, WHEN, WHY, WHERE, HOW or WHO introduced that person and then connect it:
When you think of garbage think of Akeem.
--Coming to America
Collapse

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 18:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Whenever possible Mar 11, 2019

Insist on having the list of participants with names, titles and companies provided to you in advance, or catch a coordinator before the meeting starts and shake it off of h/h. They always have it, just don't bother to forward it to the interpreter.

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Daryo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When interpreting: what tips can you share related to interpreting names

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »