Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
New, more dense, list of KudoZ questions (Other info to include?)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:38
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Good point about context Feb 7, 2020

Alison MacG wrote:
There is a difference between a) answers being sorted by confidence level in the summary box of an individual question where we can see all the proposed answers at once and judge them on their various merits for ourselves and b) only one possible answer being promoted on what is essentially the front page.

In KudoZ questions, as with translation in general, context is all-important.

Agree.

Matheus Chaud
Matheus Chaud  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...

One more idea Feb 9, 2020

Henry, apart from the ideas that I mentioned before, I'll just leave one more idea.

ProZ.com has a very valuable metric, which is apparently underused: the acceptance rate. I'm talking about the data that we see when we access Terminology > More > My KudoZ > Stats.

There is a huge difference between users who only answers questions they know about (they tend to have a higher acceptance rate, i.e., their answers are selected more often as the most helpful) and users who
... See more
Henry, apart from the ideas that I mentioned before, I'll just leave one more idea.

ProZ.com has a very valuable metric, which is apparently underused: the acceptance rate. I'm talking about the data that we see when we access Terminology > More > My KudoZ > Stats.

There is a huge difference between users who only answers questions they know about (they tend to have a higher acceptance rate, i.e., their answers are selected more often as the most helpful) and users who answer anything, even when they have no idea about the subject, just hoping for a lucky guess ("random shooters", let's say).

That would be a very interesting metric to use: how often has a user been helpful in the past? Their answers could appear first.
It is a much more valuable piece of information than the confidence level, since many people misuse or deliberately lie about the latter
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Sheila Wilson
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:38
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, I also don't like this new "leading answer" thing Feb 9, 2020

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Alison MacG wrote:
There is a difference between a) answers being sorted by confidence level in the summary box of an individual question where we can see all the proposed answers at once and judge them on their various merits for ourselves and b) only one possible answer being promoted on what is essentially the front page.

In KudoZ questions, as with translation in general, context is all-important.

Agree.

I think I said it early on, that I dislike this "leading answer" feature, because it is confusing, it looks like the question has already been closed. Yeah, I see the little question mark, but still, it is much easier to differentiate closed questions in the old design.
And Alison has a valid point.
Putting one answer out there is not helpful, in fact, it may hinder participation and influence thinking. Which may be detrimental to the asker's purposes, especially if the asked term/phrase has multiple different interpretations.
I think I would like this new list better, if it did NOT have this leading answer feature at all.

Michele Fauble
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New, more dense, list of KudoZ questions (Other info to include?)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »