expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 23:51
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 4, 2020

I would like to know if there is a valid reason for someone who posts a huge amount of questions every day, and awards 1 or 2 points to the selected answer.
In cases like this one, a recurrent one, I simply refrain myself from offering my help.
Not that I am seeking to gain points or "collect" them, it has nothing to do with that, but this is strange for me, because whether the suggestion offered is appropriate or not I always award 4 points (the maximum permitted).
I can see
... See more
I would like to know if there is a valid reason for someone who posts a huge amount of questions every day, and awards 1 or 2 points to the selected answer.
In cases like this one, a recurrent one, I simply refrain myself from offering my help.
Not that I am seeking to gain points or "collect" them, it has nothing to do with that, but this is strange for me, because whether the suggestion offered is appropriate or not I always award 4 points (the maximum permitted).
I can see the good efforts from members trying to help, and the gratitude and appreciation are expressed in these "numbers".
What do you think? Is there any good reason for doing this? I made this question to the member who is been doing this, but I had no answer at all. Thanks!
Collapse

ferreirac
Lidija Klemencic
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Julio Cinquina
Elena Feriani

Lidija Klemencic
Lidija Klemencic
Serbia
Local time: 00:51
English to Serbian
+ ...
Never heard of that Jun 4, 2020

I was certain that 4 points are always awarded to chosen reply. I never received less for right answer and if this is something that happens sometimes, then, yes, I would think it to be unfair and I would be angry.

[Edited at 2020-06-04 12:22 GMT]

expressisverbis
Josephine Cassar

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sandra Jun 4, 2020

Could it be a serious case of avarice? It hasn’t happened to me so far, but if it was to happen I’ll stop helping that person without more ado. Over the years, I’ve blocked a few askers for several reasons: never closing questions, being rude, asking too many questions, misusing “not-for-points” questions, etc. I’m too old to be bothered with things like that!

expressisverbis
ahartje

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Until the moment I saw a few members using it, Jun 4, 2020

Lidija Klemencic wrote:

I was certain that 4 points are always awarded to chosen reply. I never received less for right answer and if this is something that happens sometimes, then, yes, I would think it to be unfair and I would be angry.

[Edited at 2020-06-04 12:22 GMT]

I wasn't aware of that too, Lidija.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Teresa, Jun 4, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

Could it be a serious case of avarice? It hasn’t happened to me so far, but if it was to happen I’ll stop helping that person without more ado. Over the years, I’ve blocked a few askers for several reasons: never closing questions, being rude, asking too many questions, misusing “not-for-points” questions, etc. I’m too old to be bothered with things like that!

I really don't know. I can't understand this behaviour.
I agree, we already have our own worries to waste our time with people who don't deserve to get our attention or help.

Sabrina Bruna
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Elena Feriani

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
In my language pair Jun 4, 2020

At least one asker always gives 1 to her chosen answer, and one asker always (more than 10 times in a row) closes her questions without grading. I don't understand the motive behind this behavior.

expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sandra Jun 4, 2020

More than once, I would have liked to split points, if I could, but that’s another matter entirely…

expressisverbis
Becca Resnik
Christine Andersen
MollyRose
Robert Rietvelt

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So true! Jun 4, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

More than once, I would have liked to split points, if I could, but that’s another matter entirely…

Here's how people are so different in their views.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Me too... Jun 4, 2020

jyuan_us wrote:

At least one asker always gives 1 to her chosen answer, and one asker always (more than 10 times in a row) closes her questions without grading. I don't understand the motive behind this behavior.

Maybe this could be a matter to be discussed with the Proz Team. It doesn't make any sense.

Sabrina Bruna
Sabrina Bruna  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
Happened to me more than once in my language pairs Jun 4, 2020

It has happened to me more than once in my language pairs: 2 points and even 1 point, three times from the same asker, several questions still open after many months... I can't understand this behaviour either, I think it is not fair...

expressisverbis
Elena Feriani

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
There is a scale for giving KudoZ points Jun 4, 2020

Although most askers simply award the default 4 points, in principle they should only be given for the best and most complete answers... It does seem churlish, however, only to give one or two points every time.

It would make more sense to vary the number of points given, depending on how useful the answer was, but personally I like the convention of giving four points to someone who has made the effort to help.

Way down in the depths of information about how to use th
... See more
Although most askers simply award the default 4 points, in principle they should only be given for the best and most complete answers... It does seem churlish, however, only to give one or two points every time.

It would make more sense to vary the number of points given, depending on how useful the answer was, but personally I like the convention of giving four points to someone who has made the effort to help.

Way down in the depths of information about how to use the site and KudoZ, there is in fact a scale for how to award points for an answer.

https://www.proz.com/faq/2893#2893

2.26 - What are the criteria for the number of points (1-4) I should award to the selected answer? [Direct link]

When deciding how many points to award, please consider this scale as a guideline:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)
3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking
2: Answer was acceptable
1: Answer was somewhat helpful

[Edited at 2020-06-04 14:52 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Yolanda Broad
Björn Vrooman
Kevin Fulton
Stuart Hoskins

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The same here... Jun 4, 2020

Sabrina Bruna wrote:

It has happened to me more than once in my language pairs: 2 points and even 1 point, three times from the same asker, several questions still open after many months... I can't understand this behaviour either, I think it is not fair...

I got the same "score" in one of my language pairs, but for the last time. I don't intend to answer anymore to that member.
Maybe she has her own reasons, but this might be a rude attitude towards other members.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Christine, Jun 4, 2020

Christine Andersen wrote:

Way down in the depths of information about how to use the site and KudoZ, there is in fact a scale for how to award points for an answer.

https://www.proz.com/faq/2893#2893

2.26 - What are the criteria for the number of points (1-4) I should award to the selected answer? [Direct link]

When deciding how many points to award, please consider this scale as a guideline:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)
3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking
2: Answer was acceptable
1: Answer was somewhat helpful

[Edited at 2020-06-04 14:52 GMT]

The thing is that this member awards 1, 2, (or 3 points maybe when she is happier), but in the end she replies something like "your answer was good, very succinct, detailed".

Julio Cinquina

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:51
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Divide the points? Jun 4, 2020

I wonder if it would be better to divide the points? Four points would be awarded each time but they could be split 4, 3+1, 2+2, 2+1+1 etc. This is because in many cases there is more than one valid and correct answer. The number of agrees could be factored in as well (subject to a maximum to avoid a possible 'rush to agrees'). In one recent case, out of three proposed answers mine was the only one to have received an agree (one) but even so the points were given to another answer.
And con
... See more
I wonder if it would be better to divide the points? Four points would be awarded each time but they could be split 4, 3+1, 2+2, 2+1+1 etc. This is because in many cases there is more than one valid and correct answer. The number of agrees could be factored in as well (subject to a maximum to avoid a possible 'rush to agrees'). In one recent case, out of three proposed answers mine was the only one to have received an agree (one) but even so the points were given to another answer.
And context would be required in all cases. 'Flat', for example, could have at least seven valid meanings, all correct, if there is no context: 1. no air (tyre), 2. no gas (beer), 3. a music accident (in opposition to sharp), 4. horizontal (land), 5. exactly ('ten minutes flat'), 6. without obstacles (flat race, as opposed to steeplechase), 7. apartment. So if there was no context and all these answers were given, it would be really unfair to give points to one and not to the other. If the context was 'ten minutes flat', then the four points could be given to 'cravados' (in PT-BR). If the context was 'concert in B flat', then 'bemol' would get the points.
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
No, don't divide the points Jun 4, 2020

Dividing points has been suggested very often but it is not something I would like to see. Why do we find it so difficult to make a choice? (See also the surveys where for some the most popular answer to any given question seems to be 'Other' or a similar non-answer.)

Paul Dixon wrote:
This is because in many cases there is more than one valid and correct answer.

There is almost always more than one valid and correct answer. Given that we are all professional translators (and ideally also subject-matter experts), there shouldn't be any wrong answers at all. Anyway, KudoZ points are supposed to be awarded based on how helpful the answer is – not based on whether the answer is 'correct' or not.

Paul Dixon wrote:
And context would be required in all cases. 'Flat', for example, could have at least seven valid meanings, all correct, if there is no context: 1. no air (tyre), 2. no gas (beer), 3. a music accident (in opposition to sharp), 4. horizontal (land), 5. exactly ('ten minutes flat'), 6. without obstacles (flat race, as opposed to steeplechase), 7. apartment. So if there was no context and all these answers were given, it would be really unfair to give points to one and not to the other. If the context was 'ten minutes flat', then the four points could be given to 'cravados' (in PT-BR). If the context was 'concert in B flat', then 'bemol' would get the points.

Yes, context is always required. If no context is provided the question cannot be answered. Simple as that. Anyone answering a context-less question without first asking for the missing context isn't helping the asker and, in my opinion, doesn't deserve the points.

expressisverbis
MollyRose
Michele Fauble
Yvonne Gallagher

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of points awarded

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »