The term "Peshmergheh" in Kurdish text - one word or two words?
Thread poster: Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 02:14
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 10, 2014

Greetings.. salaam...

Several persons here in California have asked me if the correct Kurdish term for what is reported in English-language media as "Peshmergheh" (as well as various other approximate spellings in English) is written in the original Kurdish as one word or two two words? I am unsure, as I remember seeing that Kurdish term written in both forms when I was in Zakho and Dahuk in NW Iraq back in 1991

I would be most grateful if someone could kindly clarify w
... See more
Greetings.. salaam...

Several persons here in California have asked me if the correct Kurdish term for what is reported in English-language media as "Peshmergheh" (as well as various other approximate spellings in English) is written in the original Kurdish as one word or two two words? I am unsure, as I remember seeing that Kurdish term written in both forms when I was in Zakho and Dahuk in NW Iraq back in 1991

I would be most grateful if someone could kindly clarify what is the correct Kurdish term and post that here in < proz.com > and also send that term[s] directly to me at shfranke [at] hotmail [dot] com.

Many thanks... supass... Today is Sunday, August 10, 2014.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro (Los Angeles Waterfront Area), California
Collapse

Sardar Karim
Sardar Karim  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:14
German to Arabic
+ ...
guerrilla Aug 11, 2014

Dear Franke,

the term "Peshmergheh" or "Peshmerga" or "Peshmerge" (Kurdish pronunciation [pɛʃmærɡæ]; Kurdish: پێشمەرگە Pêşmerge} *

Meaning (generel): fighter, warrior, guerrilla
Meaning (word for word):
(پێش) Pesh = before,
(مەرگ) marg = death
Peshmerga = before dying
or
dying stands before

The wrods "fghting for the homeland", "war" and "dying" are linked in all languages
The activity
... See more
Dear Franke,

the term "Peshmergheh" or "Peshmerga" or "Peshmerge" (Kurdish pronunciation [pɛʃmærɡæ]; Kurdish: پێشمەرگە Pêşmerge} *

Meaning (generel): fighter, warrior, guerrilla
Meaning (word for word):
(پێش) Pesh = before,
(مەرگ) marg = death
Peshmerga = before dying
or
dying stands before

The wrods "fghting for the homeland", "war" and "dying" are linked in all languages
The activity "fighting" for a hopeless Kurdish fighter or guerrilla is like dying.

In Kurdish Sorani (written with arabic letters) this word is a compound (written together) پێشمەرگە

In Kurdish Curmanji (written with latin letters) is compound too "Pêşmerge"

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshmerga
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 02:14
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for that helpful clarification... supass Nov 4, 2014

Greetings to Mr. Sardar Karim.

Thank you very much for that helpful clarification... supass...

Apologies for my delay in responding. I was out of the country and had limited access to email service.

Regards, respects, and thanks again.

Sincerely,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro (Los Angeles Waterfront Area), California

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

The term "Peshmergheh" in Kurdish text - one word or two words?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »