Thread poster: Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 15:08
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 3, 2011

Dear Latvian collegues,

I am a Swedish native living in Latvia working as a freelance translator under the form of a selfemployed person in Latvia.

Recently I heared that there is a new law about micro companies. Supposivly this law would make it possible for almost anyone to form such a company and from what I heard the taxes are a lot lower than for working as a self employed person 10% compared to 26%.

However how does it function with the VAT? I know
... See more
Dear Latvian collegues,

I am a Swedish native living in Latvia working as a freelance translator under the form of a selfemployed person in Latvia.

Recently I heared that there is a new law about micro companies. Supposivly this law would make it possible for almost anyone to form such a company and from what I heard the taxes are a lot lower than for working as a self employed person 10% compared to 26%.

However how does it function with the VAT? I know I would have to pay VAT but to I also have the right to impose VAT on the companies I work for? Is it different depending on if they are in Latvia or not?
Collapse

Olga Judina
Olga Judina  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:08
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
Hi Alexandra, Mar 3, 2011

VAT and micro company tax are separate things. You must register as a VAT payer when you reach turnover of 30,000 lats in any 12 successive months. Under that it's not mandatory.
As a self-employed person, you can choose to register as a fixed income tax payer, if your annual income does not exceed 10,000 lats. This way, you pay the tax on your entire business income (i.e. no costs can be deducted) , but the rate is much lower. In fact, maximum income tax you can pay whilst eligible is 500
... See more
VAT and micro company tax are separate things. You must register as a VAT payer when you reach turnover of 30,000 lats in any 12 successive months. Under that it's not mandatory.
As a self-employed person, you can choose to register as a fixed income tax payer, if your annual income does not exceed 10,000 lats. This way, you pay the tax on your entire business income (i.e. no costs can be deducted) , but the rate is much lower. In fact, maximum income tax you can pay whilst eligible is 500 lats. You must pay social security tax as usual.
With micro company you pay fixed tax of 9%, which includes both social security payments and income tax, and, again, no costs can be deducted. However, in this case your cannot receive salary over 500 lats a month. There may be other details and restrictions, but this is to give you a general idea.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

micro company taxes and VAT in Latvia

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »