Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Which language is the most beautiful language for you?
Thread poster: wonita (X)
keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I love my languages Apr 3, 2011

Mostly,all languages are beautiful to the native speakers, especially when they are monolingual. It becomes a question of choice when the speaker knows two or more languages.

To me, Bengali is the language of romanticism. I am not saying this because my mother tongue is Bengali, it is fact that Bengali is one of the sweetest languages of the world in pronunciation. According to sweet and complex pronunciation, Bengali has a similarity with French (although I do not know French, wis
... See more
Mostly,all languages are beautiful to the native speakers, especially when they are monolingual. It becomes a question of choice when the speaker knows two or more languages.

To me, Bengali is the language of romanticism. I am not saying this because my mother tongue is Bengali, it is fact that Bengali is one of the sweetest languages of the world in pronunciation. According to sweet and complex pronunciation, Bengali has a similarity with French (although I do not know French, wish one day I will learn it).

But as a teacher I prefer Hindi because its grammar is more easy and scientific and contrary to Bengali,its pronunciation is just according to its script. Also Hindi is the language by which I can communicate to whole India. To know my country, I have to learn Hindi. Hindi has a golden past. It is enriched by many great persons like Tulsidas,Kabir,Guru Nanak etc.

So friends! I love my languages which I know.They are beautiful to me. The literature, Poetry written in these languages just make me proud. I think this happens to almost everybody.
Collapse

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:16
English to Russian
+ ...
Ukrainian Apr 3, 2011

is the language you would consider quite soft and melodic. It has the grammar almost identical to Russian, with its phonetics much more pleasant. Just find in Wikipedia an audio of someone speaking Ukrainian. You will surely fall in love with it!

Still, Chinese is the language I consider No. 2 when it comes to melody.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The most beautiful language... Apr 3, 2011

...is silence.

expressisverbis

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
@Amy - yes. @Topic: Russian, small lead. Apr 3, 2011

Amy Duncan wrote:
As for my native tongue, (...) I have no way of judging what it sounds like...has anyone else found this to be true about their native language?

Absolutely!
Exceptions are a) when someone uses it in a special way (emotionally charged, mostly), and b) when I absolutely don't expect to hear German somewhere -- then I might not recognise it at first and can finally hear the sound of it for a few seconds.
(And no, it doesn't send me off screaming! So it might or might not be true that it is a sort of luck that I can use the vast possibilities of German without being bothered by the "nasty" sound, which I am oblivious to.)

@Topic ... Russian. I love these sounds of an idling chopper bike (without being fond of bikes) and find Cyrillic appealing. But it is a small lead, as I find it very easy to like languages.

milena mignossi ferreira
milena mignossi ferreira
Brazil
Local time: 09:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Italian Apr 3, 2011

Italian is definitely the most beautiful language. The sound of it is amazing to the ears.
To speak, sing, whisper...it's simply awesome!

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:16
Portuguese to English
Brazilian Portuguese Apr 3, 2011

...but, please, not the version spoken in Rio!

Leo te Braake | dutCHem
Leo te Braake | dutCHem  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
French, of course... Apr 3, 2011

I was taught 3 foreign languages at high school:

-German: easy. I lived on the German border, and as an eight year old I watched German TV (with the Mainzelmännchen). But in the fifties and sixties German was not yet very popular. I was not motivated to work for a high grade.

- English. A bit more difficult. But after school it was what I used most in varous jobs. Sometimes I came home, realizing that I had spoken only English during a full afternoon...

_
... See more
I was taught 3 foreign languages at high school:

-German: easy. I lived on the German border, and as an eight year old I watched German TV (with the Mainzelmännchen). But in the fifties and sixties German was not yet very popular. I was not motivated to work for a high grade.

- English. A bit more difficult. But after school it was what I used most in varous jobs. Sometimes I came home, realizing that I had spoken only English during a full afternoon...

_ French. The most difficult, but the most compelling also. The highest language grade in the final exams on high school was for French. It's the language of l'amour! (But I married a wife as Dutch as I am).And I never got to use French, except for 3 weeks of holiday each year. My children would laugh, when I started reading road signs loud, when we drove into France: Mom, he does it again!

I have read the whole thread, but I am surprised, that I am the first to mention French!

[Bijgewerkt op 2011-04-03 22:34 GMT]
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Portuguese dialects Apr 3, 2011

Regarding the Portuguese in Rio, I like it too, but feel the most beautiful version of Portuguese is that in Santa Catarina, in Southern Brazil. It has a tune to it, a bit like English spoken with a Welsh accent. Example: "Ô guria, com'é qu't'vais" (going up at the end, and with the "vais" pronounced "VAI-sh"), [Translation: Well, lass, how are things?]

By the way, for those not familiar with the dialect of Rio, I have a post on my
... See more
Regarding the Portuguese in Rio, I like it too, but feel the most beautiful version of Portuguese is that in Santa Catarina, in Southern Brazil. It has a tune to it, a bit like English spoken with a Welsh accent. Example: "Ô guria, com'é qu't'vais" (going up at the end, and with the "vais" pronounced "VAI-sh"), [Translation: Well, lass, how are things?]

By the way, for those not familiar with the dialect of Rio, I have a post on my blog at http://paul-translator.blogspot.com/2011/02/rio-dialect-carioques.html - with some key phrases if you plan to come over for the World Cup in 2014 or the Summer Olympic Games in 2016! Benvindos ao Brasil e à Cidade Maravilhosa!
Collapse

jmorri
jmorri
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
many to choose from. . . Apr 4, 2011

Arabic, French & Wolof. Love the gutturalness and rhythmicity of each of them.

I also like many Latin American variations of Spanish, particularly Panamanian and Cuban. And let's not forget creole languages; the rhythms and tones of Kwèyòl/Kreyol, the French (and to a lesser extent Spanish and English), African & Native American blends spoken in countries including Dominica, St. Lucia and, of course, Haiti have a wonderful musicality. As do Jamaican Patois and Kriolu of Cape Verde
... See more
Arabic, French & Wolof. Love the gutturalness and rhythmicity of each of them.

I also like many Latin American variations of Spanish, particularly Panamanian and Cuban. And let's not forget creole languages; the rhythms and tones of Kwèyòl/Kreyol, the French (and to a lesser extent Spanish and English), African & Native American blends spoken in countries including Dominica, St. Lucia and, of course, Haiti have a wonderful musicality. As do Jamaican Patois and Kriolu of Cape Verde. All of these countries export beautiful music, which is clearly no coincidence.

English gets an honourable mention for the sheer versatility, range and openness. I think it can sound beautiful depending on the accent, of which there must be hundreds at least, despite the ugly imperialist reasons for its ubiquity.
Collapse

La Classe
La Classe  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
French to English
+ ...
Of course French... Apr 4, 2011

I love my mother tongue Hindi a lot. But I feel that French is very sweet language..

Cheers!!!

expressisverbis

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 08:16
TOPIC STARTER
Objectively, Apr 4, 2011

Paul Dixon wrote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

some people have quite a few beholders, others not even a single one...

[Bearbeitet am 2011-04-04 07:02 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
On what level? Apr 4, 2011

Script: Japanese, Chinese
Sound system: Estonian

Russian sounds cute too, it belongs to the same language family as my language, however has a softer pronunciation of some consonants which makes it sound cuter.

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Beauty is also in the words of the poet Apr 4, 2011

The most beautiful language is poetry. And poetry is produced when a poet manages to mine the very depths of his or her language to convey meaning through words that carry beauty in their sound, form and rhythm.

I have a soft spot for Brazilian Portuguese when sung by the likes of Milton Nascimento.

And an Irishman can sell me anything over the phone by speaking English; I will agree to almost anything just to keep him talking.

Michael Lourenço Leite
Michael Lourenço Leite  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Italian Apr 4, 2011

Certainly Italian.

No doubts for me.

Thanks.

Bin Tiede wrote:

I like Japanese, especially the Japanese spoken by Japanese women, sounds like a poem.

Adrian Grant
Adrian Grant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Horses for courses Apr 4, 2011

Songs - Portuguese
Films - French
Arguing in the street - Italian
World domination - German

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which language is the most beautiful language for you?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »