Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Which language is the most beautiful language for you?
Thread poster: wonita (X)
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 17:11
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Ha ha. Apr 4, 2011

Adrian Grant wrote:

Arguing in the street - Italian

Italians seem to be very passionate when talking, I don't think they are arguing though lol.. and I think it's Italians from the South who talk like this.

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:11
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Italiano... Apr 4, 2011

sounds the most beautiful to me. I love listening to it, whether sung or spoken!

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why is the love for Italian so common? Apr 4, 2011

I've always wondered why so many people like the sound of the Italian language so much. Ask ten people in the street the sound of which language they like best, and I'll bet at least nine of them will reply it's Italian.

To my ears, Italian often has a somewhat blaring quality and sounds nowhere near as nice as French (or many other languages). My French is quite ok, while I don't speak Italian at all.

I'm more than willing to admit that the problem most probably is wit
... See more
I've always wondered why so many people like the sound of the Italian language so much. Ask ten people in the street the sound of which language they like best, and I'll bet at least nine of them will reply it's Italian.

To my ears, Italian often has a somewhat blaring quality and sounds nowhere near as nice as French (or many other languages). My French is quite ok, while I don't speak Italian at all.

I'm more than willing to admit that the problem most probably is with my ears, not with other people's or with the Italian language, though
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Pitch, intonation, volume, pace Apr 4, 2011

efreitag wrote:

I'm more than willing to admit that the problem most probably is with my ears, not with other people's or with the Italian language, though

I think all these factors affect how we hear certain language neurologically, which has impact on our final impression.

Southern people are known to use gesticulation much more in their speech, and also higher pitch and higher volume. It's related to their temperament.

That's just one example.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 09:11
English to Spanish
A saying: Apr 4, 2011

"English is the language you use when you talk business,
French is for talking to women,
Italian is for talking to children,
German for talking to soldiers,
but Spanish? Spanish is for talking to God!"

Ivan Rocha, CT
Ivan Rocha, CT
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Portuguese in Rio Apr 4, 2011

Georgia Morgan wrote:

...but, please, not the version spoken in Rio!

I second that. Cariocas not only speak a very bastardized version of Portuguese, with the biggest slang/formal words ratio of the entire Portuguese-speaking world, but they also do it with the sound of a locomotive ("SHs" abound).

Soundwise, I would say my favourite languages are Russian, Portuguese and English (UK).

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
yes, but Apr 4, 2011

Lingua 5B wrote:

efreitag wrote:

I think all these factors affect how we hear certain language neurologically, which has impact on our final impression.

Southern people are known to use gesticulation much more in their speech, and also higher pitch and higher volume. It's related to their temperament.

That's just one example.

Sure, that's all true, but the question then is: Why exactly are those qualities of pitch, intonation, volume and pace of the Italian language preferred by so many people, while so few others (like myself) perceive them rather as "blaring"? (I'm not sure whether "blaring" really is a good description of how I perceive spoken Italian, but you get the gist)?

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Popularity Apr 4, 2011

efreitag wrote:

Sure, that's all true, but the question then is: Why exactly are those qualities of pitch, intonation, volume and pace of the Italian language preferred by so many people, while so few others (like myself) perceive them rather as "blaring"? (I'm not sure whether "blaring" really is a good description of how I perceive spoken Italian, but you get the gist)?

I think this popularity launched off in the 70s with Sanremo Music Festival and Italian movies/movie stars.

Michele Treves
Michele Treves
Italian to Croatian
+ ...
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL LANGUAGE IS Apr 4, 2011

CROATIAN!

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 12:11
French to English
+ ...
This reminds me of a lost English! Apr 4, 2011

George Hopkins wrote:

Unaffected English is the most beautiful language for me.

I don't know what was meant by "unaffected," but it reminded me of my favorite version of English, now, alas, completely extinct from the face of the Earth. It's a version of English spoken around the 40s (although probably also thirties), which starts to disappear around the 50s, in the United States.

I still marvel at it when watching old black and white movies from that time. To me, it sounds like it still conserved a tinge of British something to it, and it was soft and cadenced, at the same that it was much more elegant. This particular cadence and intonation has completely disappeared from current ways of speaking in the US.

There are many American accents which I love to listen to, and then there are those which I can't stand. One characteristic that appeals to me immensely in languages is for them to be highly "sing-song." That's why I love certain Southern accents, African-American accents (the huge highs and lows), Irish and Scottish accents. There's only one accent from England that I really like (I forget where it's from), most of the others either don't strike a chord either way or I can't stand (the "Queen's English" is particularly ridiculous...)

[Edited at 2011-04-04 20:19 GMT]

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:11
Spanish to English
mmm Apr 4, 2011

I'm amazed that so many people were able to answer this. First there are so many thousands of languages in the world and I only properly know two of them. And then as for the sound of a language I feel that there are so many regional factors within each language and then there are individuals who speak their language, no matter what language or region in a very flat ugly way.

Then another aspect of a language, a very important one, is what it permits us to communicate. I read a auto
... See more
I'm amazed that so many people were able to answer this. First there are so many thousands of languages in the world and I only properly know two of them. And then as for the sound of a language I feel that there are so many regional factors within each language and then there are individuals who speak their language, no matter what language or region in a very flat ugly way.

Then another aspect of a language, a very important one, is what it permits us to communicate. I read a autobiography one time written by a man who had gone to University in Istambul before the First World War and each subject was taught in a different language, because some languages offer a greater ability to consider one subject rather than another.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I always loved English Apr 4, 2011

Melanie Meyer wrote:

Italian, sounds the most beautiful to me. I love listening to it, whether sung or spoken!

Thank you very much Melanie, instead I always loved English, I adore its rythm, and just like Italian to you, English sounds the most beautiful to me, sung and spoken, AE in particular

[Edited at 2011-04-05 12:45 GMT]

expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
LOL Apr 4, 2011

Adrian Grant wrote:

Ah ah ah, we don't argue in the streets too much these days, believeme,

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 18:11
English to Swedish
+ ...
All Apr 4, 2011

preferences are

Swedish spoken by French people
Spanish (but no the spanish of spain)
Latvian normally when spoken by women although sometimes "male" latvian is also nice

I have true problems with
Dutch and
German

Adrian Grant
Adrian Grant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Globalised Apr 4, 2011

Prof. Angie G. wrote:

Adrian Grant wrote:

Ah ah ah, we don't argue in the streets too much these days, believeme,

Don't tell me they've outsourced it to India.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which language is the most beautiful language for you?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »