meaning of Term Concept
Thread poster: Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Ireland
English to Irish
+ ...
Jul 23, 2018

Does any one have a meaning for term concept? It has been bugging me ever since I saw it on tm town.

Mirko Mainardi

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nothing Jul 23, 2018

Roisin Ni Cheallaigh wrote:

Does any one have a meaning for term concept? It has been bugging me ever since I saw it on tm town.

It means nothing.

A term is a term, and a concept is a concept. A term concept would be a concept for a term, which is a nonsense.

Jennifer Forbes

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Roisin Jul 23, 2018

Roisin Ni Cheallaigh wrote:
Does any one have a meaning for term concept? It has been bugging me ever since I saw it on TM Town.

https://www.tm-town.com/faq

When you load your work into TM-Town's system there are various professional tools that you can use to view a detailed analysis of your work. One statistic you may see is the number of Translation Units or Term Concepts that you have loaded.

A Translation Unit is a group of related segments (or sentences). For example: if you have one sentence in English and the translation of that sentence in Spanish, those two sentences combine to form one Translation Unit. The industry standard format to store Translation Units is typically in a translation memory (TM) file such as a TMX or XLIFF file. On TM-Town it is easy to upload translation memory files.

A Term Concept is very similar but for terms instead of segments. For example: if you have an English term and the Spanish translation of that term, those two terms combine to form a Term Concept. The industry standard file type to store term data is TBX. If you have a TBX file it is easy to load it into TM-Town's system.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
"Term concept" is a bit like ... Jul 23, 2018

... the currently modish "time period". The wordier the better seems to be the modern maxim.

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
POint Jul 24, 2018

Jennifer Forbes wrote:

... the currently modish "time period". The wordier the better seems to be the modern maxim.

Like saying "at this point in time" or "right now" instead of just "now".

Or "going forward" instead of "in future"

Or "north of 20%" instead of "more than 20%"

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Shorter Jul 24, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Or "north of 20%" instead of "more than 20%"

That's actually shorter, Tom

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The what now? Jul 24, 2018

I didn't know what TM Town was, so had to Google it. As soon as I got to the bit about "Translators don't just say what they can do, they show it -- by uploading their previous work"... I realised it wasn't my cup of tea.
I'm not interesting in sharing either my previous work or TMs with anyone other than the closest of trusted colleagues or friends, and even then only in extremis.

Tom in London

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Glossary, termbase... Jul 24, 2018

I always referred to what they call a "Term Concept" as "glossary entry" or "termbase entry"...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Concept Oct 24, 2018

Is "Term Concept" a concept?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Depends... Oct 24, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

on your concept of concept.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Oct 24, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Yes, I think you could say that. I know that in some related fields (strict terminology, for example), a "term" is not a word or words, but a concept or a definition, and each concept has different words in different languages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

meaning of Term Concept

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »