Natalia Postrigan
Natalia Postrigan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:37
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 22, 2019

A man was hospitalized in rural Ohio. He seems to have a trauma and is struggling to communicate. Does anyone recognize the language on the note he wrote?

76616461_3157630704253017_7039507872668975104_n

Katya Kesten
Katya Kesten
Local time: 22:37
Russian to English
+ ...
Which direction was he writing in? Nov 23, 2019

It kind of looks like it was written right to left and like there's shins, mems, tets, and kafs in there (Hebrew). Might be totally off, though! Hope you guys can help him ASAP!

Katya Kesten
Katya Kesten
Local time: 22:37
Russian to English
+ ...
Or, maybe, Thai? Nov 23, 2019

And, he just didn't have the dexterity to make the little circles...? Sorry, I don't actually speak Thai. Hopefully, this bumps up the post though...

Vadim Kadyrov

ProvenThai (X)
ProvenThai (X)
United States
Local time: 23:37
English to Thai
+ ...
It looks like an ancient Tai language Nov 23, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_languages

The Tai or Zhuang–Tai[2] languages (Thai: ภาษาไท or ภาษาไต, transliteration: p̣hās̛̄āthay or p̣hās̛̄ātay), are a branch of the Kra–Dai language family. The Tai languages include the most widely spoken of the Tai–Kadai languages, including Standard Thai or Siamese, the national language of Thailand;
... See more
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_languages

The Tai or Zhuang–Tai[2] languages (Thai: ภาษาไท or ภาษาไต, transliteration: p̣hās̛̄āthay or p̣hās̛̄ātay), are a branch of the Kra–Dai language family. The Tai languages include the most widely spoken of the Tai–Kadai languages, including Standard Thai or Siamese, the national language of Thailand; Lao or Laotian, the national language of Laos; Myanmar's Shan language and Zhuang, a major language in the Southern Chinese province of Guangxi.
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Physical appearance? Nov 23, 2019

Any other clues, such as race or physical appearance?

Liviu-Lee Roth

Natalia Postrigan
Natalia Postrigan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:37
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for helping Nov 23, 2019

Thank you all very much for the helpful suggestions. I am not on site myself and have not seen the man, but I got involved with the campaign to help him through the network. I also asked if the physical appearance provided any clues, and I don't have an answer yet.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Katya Kesten

André Müller
André Müller
Germany
Local time: 05:37
German to Esperanto
+ ...
Not a "normal" script Sep 12, 2022

I can verify that this is not any of the existing (or dead) scripts of the world in their normal form. It's definitely not Hebrew or (ancient) Thai. Those look very different.

My guess is that it's more or less just scribbles and that the patient has lost the ability to write entirely, kind of a graphematic aphasia. It's likely that they were trying to write their native language.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help recognize the language

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »