Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 22:57
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2020

There were so many tags when the XML file was imported in TRADOS 2017. I wonder if there's a better way to translate such files. It's just I don't know other tools. Do you guys have any idea?

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:57
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Settings Jun 16, 2020

Hi Frank,

Have you considered playing with your XML settings?

Please take a look:
https://docs.sdl.com/LiveContent/content/ko-KR/SDL%20Trados%20Studio%20Help-v4/GUID-2FA7C64B-75B0-4CAD-8722-EE2E7C11F5D3

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Frank Jun 16, 2020

Recep Kurt wrote:
Have you considered playing with your XML settings?

This was my first thought, too. I'm not familiar with *how* to customise XML settings in my various CAT tools, though (it's not always simple to do).

"XML" is a very generic file format, and if you don't create a custom filter for the specific XML variety that you want to translate, the CAT tool will apply a generic XML filter that tries to be safe rather than sorry (in other words, it'll create lots and lots of tags, because it doesn't know which tags can safely be skipped or merged). Also, an XML file may contain elements that should not be translated, but the CAT tool won't know which is which unless you tell it specifically.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you translate XML files?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »