Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:02
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2018

The Shallowness of Google Translate

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/01/the-shallowness-of-google-translate/551570/

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Same as... Jan 31, 2018

This URL was also posted in the PEMT forum, but since there is no moderator for the PEMT forum, the post there will remain there and not be moved here, where it belongs.

https://www.proz.com/forum/post_editing_machine_translation/322520-google_translate_pushkin_and_human_cognition.html

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:02
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
GT has its pros, but Jan 31, 2018

a professional who's focused on the quality and results of his or her work must not rely on such tool. GT translates words, phrases that do not require linguistics processing(https://www.sltinfo.com/linguistic-processing/). Though technology is important and useful, we shall not forget that from birth to death, we experience constant human interactions, in the most variable styles, ways, ... See more
a professional who's focused on the quality and results of his or her work must not rely on such tool. GT translates words, phrases that do not require linguistics processing(https://www.sltinfo.com/linguistic-processing/). Though technology is important and useful, we shall not forget that from birth to death, we experience constant human interactions, in the most variable styles, ways, and times and intensities.
I wish you all a successful human interaction in 2018.
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:02
Russian to English
+ ...
@Samuel Jan 31, 2018

You're right, I'll kill it at the other place if I can. I put it there because for some reason that's the forum that came up when I wanted to post it (instead of this one). I never noticed any PEMT forum before. I've posted a notice to the proz staff asking them to merge the two, and saying this is where they should be, rather than under the "art" of translation.

Sharon James
Sharon James
Australia
Machine translation is good but Feb 1, 2018

Machine translation may appear as a good way to save money and time, but be careful. These kinds of translators first analyze the structure of each term or phrase within the source text. They then break this structure down into elements that can be easily translated and recompose a term of the same structure in the target language. This method may seem correct, but the quality of the translation is much lower than a human translation, because the structure of each language is different and it is... See more
Machine translation may appear as a good way to save money and time, but be careful. These kinds of translators first analyze the structure of each term or phrase within the source text. They then break this structure down into elements that can be easily translated and recompose a term of the same structure in the target language. This method may seem correct, but the quality of the translation is much lower than a human translation, because the structure of each language is different and it is something that most machine translators don’t take into account.

Human translators are most often native speakers of the target language. That’s why, unlike machine translators, they are perfectly familiar with all of its specificities, subtleties, expressions, slang, grammar etc. So to get the exact meaning and better context, one must go with human translation.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:02
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Thank you so much for sharing! Feb 2, 2018

This confirms a lot of my vague ideas about machine translation.

I am not qualified, and have not the time to carry out the experiments described here, and could not have formulated it so well.

But this really is an important article to read and pass on. It provides a lot of food for thought and some good explanations of what translators REALLY do and why we are still needed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A devastating critique of machine translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »