Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:38
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 6, 2008

Hi all,

I will spend three months in Singapore, so I'm looking for a beginners/conversation course in Malay.
I'm not aiming for a full time academic course, just a way to banter with my inlaws.

I will be staying in the North East, so if you have any recommentations or pointers where I should look (Language Schools, Tuition Centres, Community Clubs?), I'd be really grateful!

/Jan

definitions
definitions
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 15:38
English
+ ...
some suggestions... Feb 7, 2008

Hi Jan,
I am not familiar with the North-East, but it's really easy to get around in Singapore and since you will be there for 3 mths, you need not (& I emphasise, SHOULD NOT) restrict yourself to that area. Have you looked up inlingua? It's a language school & has Malay courses. Look up the CCs near you, some might have Malay lang. programmes & they're likely cheaper.

There's another alternative to classes. There are many libraries (Woodlands Library is one of my favourites &
... See more
Hi Jan,
I am not familiar with the North-East, but it's really easy to get around in Singapore and since you will be there for 3 mths, you need not (& I emphasise, SHOULD NOT) restrict yourself to that area. Have you looked up inlingua? It's a language school & has Malay courses. Look up the CCs near you, some might have Malay lang. programmes & they're likely cheaper.

There's another alternative to classes. There are many libraries (Woodlands Library is one of my favourites & has tonnes of Malay stuff) where you can borrow those audio lessons-- this way you can go at your own pace & it won't cost you anything.

I think you should also invest in one of those Conversational/Berlitz Malay books.
IMO they're useful for beginners. Malay is very phonetic-- what you see is what you read. I'm sure you'll be speaking it in no time. Good luck!
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:38
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More language schools?! Feb 8, 2008

definitions wrote:

Hi Jan,

There's another alternative to classes. There are many libraries (Woodlands Library is one of my favourites & has tonnes of Malay stuff) where you can borrow those audio lessons-- this way you can go at your own pace & it won't cost you anything.

I think you should also invest in one of those Conversational/Berlitz Malay books.
IMO they're useful for beginners. Malay is very phonetic-- what you see is what you read. I'm sure you'll be speaking it in no time. Good luck!

Thanks a lot!

I will need some kind of institution/CC/tuition centre, because I need a "diploma" to show my landlord when I sublet my flat here in Sweden. Again, it doesn't have to be an academic course, as long as I get some kind of paper when signing up

Is this the Inlingua you refer to?
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~inlingua/location.htm

I guess the Orchard area offers more competition when it comes to language schools. After all, there aren't many ang mohs hanging out in the NE...

Does Inlingua has a special edge in Malay, or do you have any other reason to recommend them?

Thanks again,

/Jan

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Malay language course in Singapore?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »