How should a freelancer design his/her web site to catch customers attention?
Thread poster: Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Türkiye
Local time: 15:20
English to Turkish
Jan 16, 2017

I created a web page to introduce myself and my job. But I need some advice yo develop the page and/or other ways to introduce myself to the community or customers.

my web site; linguistceviri.simplesite.com

I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions here or on my site with comment section below the pages.

Thanks a lot.

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:20
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Please, use link below Jan 16, 2017

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/309706-your_own_websites.html

BTW: Do you offer English as a second option?

[Edited at 2017-01-16 21:28 GMT]

Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 16, 2017

Thanks Paulinho. I am going to take these suggestios into consideration for sure. See you.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
It's good, but a few points: Jan 17, 2017

I'd get the English version edited by a native speaker. I know you're not claiming to translate into English, but I still think it would look more professional. In particular, I'm not clear what you mean by "compatible", or "send your gigs".

Also, people who aren't translators (and even some who are, like me) won't understand the link to TM-Town. What are these units you've uploaded, and what are term concepts?

Finally, I think your range of fees, $0.03 to $0.10, is to
... See more
I'd get the English version edited by a native speaker. I know you're not claiming to translate into English, but I still think it would look more professional. In particular, I'm not clear what you mean by "compatible", or "send your gigs".

Also, people who aren't translators (and even some who are, like me) won't understand the link to TM-Town. What are these units you've uploaded, and what are term concepts?

Finally, I think your range of fees, $0.03 to $0.10, is too wide. If you quote a price of $0.10, people will say why aren't you charging me $0.03?

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Collapse

Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
second option Jan 17, 2017

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/309706-your_own_websites.html

BTW: Do you offer English as a second option?

[Edited at 2017-01-16 21:28 GMT]

If you ask me whether I translate English-Turkish language pair. I don't.

Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
constructive contribution by philgoddard Jan 17, 2017

philgoddard wrote:

Finally, I think your range of fees, $0.03 to $0.10, is too wide. If you quote a price of $0.10, people will say why aren't you charging me $0.03?

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks for the points that allowed me to look from a board perspective. I will do necessary arrangements. Thank you for your interest.

Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Reconstruction of web site! Jan 17, 2017

Thanks to Paulinho and philgoddard's constructive suggestions, I reconstructed my web site in a more understandable way. Please tell me what to do more to make it more effective. Thanks!

linguistceviri.simplesite.com

[Edited at 2017-01-17 05:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-01-17 06:05 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:20
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Many suggestions Jan 17, 2017

I would have many suggestions, of which the most important is: lost the snooker balls (if that's what they are). They don't mean anything and are just annoying.

Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Snokker balls (or whatever) Jan 17, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

I would have many suggestions, of which the most important is: lost the snooker balls (if that's what they are). They don't mean anything and are just annoying.

Thanks Tom. Indeed back space is a personal prefererence but if it makes you annoyed then there a problem with my back space. So I am going to delete it. Best wishes.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Snooker Jan 17, 2017

I don't think the balls do much for it either, but I don't think you should lose your balls just because Tom or I say so. After all, what do we know? Maybe we're missing something here - the message could be "I have the balls for this job", or "8-ball, corner pocket, watch this", or "My aim is true" or something. So I reckon you should have the balls for it.

And you do translate English to Turkish. It says so two or three times on the home page.

Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Back space Jan 17, 2017

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I don't think the balls do much for it either, but I don't think you should lose your balls just because Tom or I say so. After all, what do we know? Maybe we're missing something here - the message could be "I have the balls for this job", or "8-ball, corner pocket, watch this", or "My aim is true" or something. So I reckon you should have the balls for it.

And you do translate English to Turkish. It says so two or three times on the home page.

Thanks Mervin,
As I told Tom, the back space is a preference. But this is not a Think Tank page, and I don't need to give a message, at least in the first place, so I had better delete the snooker balls. I will take your suggestions and warnings into account. Thanks you for your great interest and your imagination for the balls. Best Regards.
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu, İzmir, Turkey

[Edited at 2017-01-17 11:13 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Avoid catalogue images and verbosity Jan 17, 2017

Maybe it is just me, but catalogue images just do not say anything. Whenever I see images purchased from a catalogue, especially those of groups of multiracial people in business attire smiling around a table for a business of just one or two people, I run away immediately. To me (and I insist that it could be just me), catalogue images are a synonym of lack of authenticity and the need to cover up things.

I would favour an image of your person (in business attire or not) and of the
... See more
Maybe it is just me, but catalogue images just do not say anything. Whenever I see images purchased from a catalogue, especially those of groups of multiracial people in business attire smiling around a table for a business of just one or two people, I run away immediately. To me (and I insist that it could be just me), catalogue images are a synonym of lack of authenticity and the need to cover up things.

I would favour an image of your person (in business attire or not) and of the world around you, rather than catalogue images. Getting rid of the snooker balls sounds like a good idea, too.

For the website of a professional translator, simply go to the point, represent your experience and credentials faithfully, and make it easy for visitors to get a clear idea of who you are and what you do, and to find your contact information. Avoid verbosity and business hype by all means.

Just my two cents!
Collapse

Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Your two cents Jan 17, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I would favour an image of your person (in business attire or not) and of the world around you, rather than catalogue images. Getting rid of the snooker balls sounds like a good idea, too.

For the website of a professional translator, simply go to the point, represent your experience and credentials faithfully, and make it easy for visitors to get a clear idea of who you are and what you do, and to find your contact information. Avoid verbosity and business hype by all means.

Just my two cents!

Dear Tomás Cano, first of all I would like to express my sincere thanks for your clear criticism about my web site. I believe that each idea/suggestion/warning is valuable for development. So thanks for your two cents!

I completely agree with you on avoiding verbosity and making a clear vision of me for the visitors. Therefore I have been designing a new section under "About me" tab, in addition I am sliding all information about me under this tab. Second I should change the catalogue images with realistic ones. You are right. And I will.

Thanks for your great interest.

[Edited at 2017-01-17 13:51 GMT]

Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Sertaç Binbaşıoğlu
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Developing web site! Jan 17, 2017

I would like to express my appreciation to all of my friends who contributed the development of my web site. With their priceless suggestions I had a chance of improving my site. They may monitor my updated site. And by the way I am still looking forward to hearing much more suggestions and contribution of all members. Thanks for your interest.
... See more
I would like to express my appreciation to all of my friends who contributed the development of my web site. With their priceless suggestions I had a chance of improving my site. They may monitor my updated site. And by the way I am still looking forward to hearing much more suggestions and contribution of all members. Thanks for your interest.

http://linguistceviri.simplesite.com/431329721

[Edited at 2017-01-17 16:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-01-17 16:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-01-17 16:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-01-17 16:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-01-17 17:10 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should a freelancer design his/her web site to catch customers attention?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »