John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:05
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2015

I have received a file which I will be translating in memoQ that contains a high proportion of repetitions. The file consists of about 16000 segments, but about 13000 are exact repetitions and therefore won't be paid for.

During translation, memoQ will automatically propagate the translation of the first appearance of a segment to all the repetitions. But since they won't be paid for, I don't want to see them when proofreading.

I usually export the bilingual docume
... See more
I have received a file which I will be translating in memoQ that contains a high proportion of repetitions. The file consists of about 16000 segments, but about 13000 are exact repetitions and therefore won't be paid for.

During translation, memoQ will automatically propagate the translation of the first appearance of a segment to all the repetitions. But since they won't be paid for, I don't want to see them when proofreading.

I usually export the bilingual document from memoQ for proofreading, which means I can also cross check with the source.

Is there any way that only the first occurrence of a repeated segment can be exported or viewed, since I am not being paid to work on the repeats?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why hide? Oct 29, 2015

After translation, your best option is not to hide the repeated segments, but simply make memoQ jump to the next reviewable segment as you advance.

In order to do so (in memoQ 2015):
1. With your project open, go to Settings and choose "Reviewer 2 confirmed" in "Confirm using status". This will mark every segment with the double green checkmark as you confirm them during your proofreading.

2. In the translation grid, open the Go to next settings dialog box (in the
... See more
After translation, your best option is not to hide the repeated segments, but simply make memoQ jump to the next reviewable segment as you advance.

1. With your project open, go to Settings and choose "Reviewer 2 confirmed" in "Confirm using status". This will mark every segment with the double green checkmark as you confirm them during your proofreading.

2. In the translation grid, open the Go to next settings dialog box (in the Edit ribbon, drop down Go To Next and choose Settings), select the Status tab, and enable "Translator confirmed" and "Automatically jump after confirmation".

Now, every time you confirm a segment during your proofreading, any change you make in the non-repeated segments will be propagated to all affected repeated segments. Additionally, not only all copies of a repeated segment will be marked as proofread by the Autopropagation, but you will be taken automatically to the next segment to proofread. This is how I usually work in this kind of situation.

If this does not work for you, another option would be to create a view from your document containing only the non-repeated segments, but I am not 100% sure that the repeated segments that are left out of the view will be propagated. Maybe this is something you can confirm by yourself.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:05
Danish to English
+ ...
Having a similar problem Oct 29, 2015

I've been debating this with MemoQ support the last few days.

It is a design problem that while they don't include the first occurrence of a segment that is later repeated in the statistical counts, they mark it as repetition while editing. But the first time something is written is not a repetition in the normal sense of the word. But in MemoQ, the same segment is a repetition for one purpose and not a repetition for another purpose. This is inconsistent.

If non-repeti
... See more
I've been debating this with MemoQ support the last few days.

It is a design problem that while they don't include the first occurrence of a segment that is later repeated in the statistical counts, they mark it as repetition while editing. But the first time something is written is not a repetition in the normal sense of the word. But in MemoQ, the same segment is a repetition for one purpose and not a repetition for another purpose. This is inconsistent.

If non-repetitions were not incorrectly marked as repetitions, one should in theory be able to use the filter (the funnel icon just above the text - then Status) to not show repetitions, 100 % and 101 % matches, but the filter lacks a NOT function.

Here is the latest suggestion I got from support. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks complicated:

Please check this workflow below.

You could be working on the document by filtering for non repetitions - > and then create a view where you filter for only the first occurrence of repetitions to check them.
For this you would have to right click on your document in memoQ -> select create view -> select extract repetitions + only first occurrence.

Now this above mentioned workflow also has a slight issue that is if you change some of the repetitions in the view only that particular segment would be changed the other segments with the same content wouldn't be.

Maybe a better workflow would be to create a view with the above mentioned method but without the only first occurrence option. This way you would see all the repetitions in the view you just created, and you could sort it by "frequency". This way the same segments would be grouped, you could check them only once, and if you make a change auto propagation would change them.

This is, in my opinion, a major flaw with MemoQ. They say they have escalated it to the project manager, but in the meantime, we have a real problem with this.

I wonder if we're working for the same client.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Reviewer Oct 29, 2015

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

This presumably only works if you have imported a local document yourself, and not if the document is checked out from a server, as someone else would need the reviewer roles in the project later.

Why Reviewer 2 and not Reviewer 1? Once Reviewer 2 has confirmed a segment, Translator can no longer modify it.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, agreed Oct 29, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Why Reviewer 2 and not Reviewer 1? Once Reviewer 2 has confirmed a segment, Translator can no longer modify it.

OK, granted. I don't really mind, either Reviewer 1 or Reviewer 2. I just assumed the usual scenario: that nobody checks it later and that is why the OP does the review himself.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Usual scenario Oct 29, 2015

I just assumed the usual scenario: that nobody checks it later and that is why the OP does the review himself.

I always review my translations before supplying them, whether or not they are reviewed independently.

Before using the Reviewer roles as a translator, one needs to be sure it won't wreak havoc later because (an) independent reviewer(s) need(s) the role(s). In my present case, I return the files in Word format, so it's not a problem. But if you do what you suggest when returning a package, you risk making the PM curse you far away. If you work on a server, I think you can't change your role, so your suggestion may not work.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:05
English to Russian
Create view Oct 30, 2015

1. Invoke the Create view screen
2. From as-default condition (with Simply glue... option), click Advanced options
3. Add a name for your view and check only these options:

This will give you all segments except real (second, third, etc.) repetitions.
Export them to bilingual rtf and review.

Once you are done with reviewing, import the bilin
... See more
1. Invoke the Create view screen
2. From as-default condition (with Simply glue... option), click Advanced options
3. Add a name for your view and check only these options:

This will give you all segments except real (second, third, etc.) repetitions.
Export them to bilingual rtf and review.

Once you are done with reviewing, import the bilingual veiw back and open the whole file (not view).
All amended segments (if any) will have the Edited status. Confirming such segments one by one will change and confirm the other occurences.

*Even if you don't export to rtf, after reviewing the view, switch to the main file to rewrite and confirm the real reps as mentioned above.

[Edited at 2015-10-30 10:03 GMT]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
.... can be used to simplify translation of repetitions Nov 11, 2018

A nice way to simplify translating repetitions:

... create a view with one-per-repetition segments
... translate them in the view
... propagate them in one sweep

- without the pesky "jump-to-the-next-untranslated" behaviour in the single-file frame.

[edit] PS: I guess the subject of propagation is a little more complicated: i am getting 100% matches, that are not repeats (probably due to tags). Still a nice example of a dual use(g)
[˙/
... See more
A nice way to simplify translating repetitions:

... create a view with one-per-repetition segments
... translate them in the view
... propagate them in one sweep

- without the pesky "jump-to-the-next-untranslated" behaviour in the single-file frame.

[edit] PS: I guess the subject of propagation is a little more complicated: i am getting 100% matches, that are not repeats (probably due to tags). Still a nice example of a dual use(g)
[˙/edit]
+++

smo

[urejeno ob 2018-11-11 08:15 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to hide repetitions when proofreading

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »