memoQ - a rant
Thread poster: Anna Sarah Krämer
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 16:57
64-bit mode Jul 23, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

To check which version of MemoQ you are using, check the process in Task Manager. If it says "MemoQ" it's 64-bit, if it's "MemoQ32" you are running the 32 bit version, which is much slower in Windows 10. If this is the case, find the 64-bit version (mine is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Kilgray\memoQ-2015\MemoQ.exe) and change your starting shortcuts to point to this file instead of the 32-bit file.

Thanks for pointing this out. I always wondered whether I'd have to download a separate 64-bit version. Silly that the set up program doesn't create this shortcut.

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
memoQ and DNS Jul 23, 2016

Let me first say that I LOVE memoQ, so I don't share your basic frustrations with it. However, I also have the problem that using DNS with memoQ causes memoQ to slow waaaay down. I don't use DNS that often (only when my RIS is bothering me), but I'll be getting a new laptop next year and will definitely be sure to get one with more RAM so I can use DNS and memoQ together without speed issues.

I can also recommend Kilgray's support. I've had very good experience with them. If
... See more
Let me first say that I LOVE memoQ, so I don't share your basic frustrations with it. However, I also have the problem that using DNS with memoQ causes memoQ to slow waaaay down. I don't use DNS that often (only when my RIS is bothering me), but I'll be getting a new laptop next year and will definitely be sure to get one with more RAM so I can use DNS and memoQ together without speed issues.

I can also recommend Kilgray's support. I've had very good experience with them. If your problem is not high priority they will almost always get back to you within 48-72 hours. When I've marked tickets as high priority, they've gotten back to me within a few hours, and I haven't had a problem yet that they couldn't fix.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:57
Danish to English
+ ...
Domain Name System? Jul 23, 2016

DNS usually refers to the Domain Name System on the Internet, but is that what you two are talking about? It doesn't really give any meaning to "use the Domain Name System and MemoQ" together.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
DNS = Dragon NaturallySpeaking Jul 23, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

DNS usually refers to the Domain Name System on the Internet, but is that what you two are talking about? It doesn't really give any meaning to "use the Domain Name System and MemoQ" together.

DPI = Dragon Professional Individual (the latest version)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Dragon speak Jul 23, 2016

Thanks.

It illustrates the problem with using acronyms not commonly known, or which generally mean something else.

I suppose a voice recognition system could require a good deal of additional resources, but I don't know.

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
Termbase consumes RAM Jul 25, 2016

>> the software freezes or crashes for no apparent reason and has to be restarted

I also experienced sudden aborts several times. I recently noticed that when memoQ is in the termbase editing mode, it tends to become a big RAM eater, sometimes of more than 5 GB (out of my 8 GB; according to the Task Manager). It works very swiftly when there are many TMs and only a few termbases in use. Apparently, the structure of the termbase is more complicated than that of the TM.

A
... See more
>> the software freezes or crashes for no apparent reason and has to be restarted

I also experienced sudden aborts several times. I recently noticed that when memoQ is in the termbase editing mode, it tends to become a big RAM eater, sometimes of more than 5 GB (out of my 8 GB; according to the Task Manager). It works very swiftly when there are many TMs and only a few termbases in use. Apparently, the structure of the termbase is more complicated than that of the TM.

And I increased RAM to 16 GB, which has been okay so far.

P.S. When you are using the 32-bit version and memoQ finds the assigned memory size (max. 4GB for that version) to be not sufficient, it will show a message like "Insufficient memory. Please switch to the 64-bit version."
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Using Windows 10 Aug 7, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

John Fossey wrote:

To check which version of MemoQ you are using, check the process in Task Manager. If it says "MemoQ" it's 64-bit, if it's "MemoQ32" you are running the 32 bit version, which is much slower in Windows 10. If this is the case, find the 64-bit version (mine is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Kilgray\memoQ-2015\MemoQ.exe) and change your starting shortcuts to point to this file instead of the 32-bit file.

Thanks for pointing this out. I always wondered whether I'd have to download a separate 64-bit version. Silly that the set up program doesn't create this shortcut.

I just created a shortcut to start memoQ in 64-bit mode. My Parallels VM had a shortcut pointing to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Kilgray\memoQ-2015\MemoQ32.exe"

The Task Manager indicated:

Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 16.48.53

I manually created a shortcut pointing to:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Kilgray\memoQ-2015\MemoQ.exe

The Task Manager now indicates:

Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 16.48.11

However, I must be doing something wrong: The shortcut that I've created is placed on the Windows Desktop, that's for sure. When I quit Windows, the shortcut is shown on the OS X Desktop too:

Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 16.53.20

This is clearly something that I don't want. However, when I delete the shortcut at the Mac site, it will be removed at the Windows site too.

All this is very elementary and very likely resulting from the fact that I don't know the correct way to create a shortcut in Windows 10. But if someone could point me in the right direction, this would be appreciated.

[Edited at 2016-08-07 14:56 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
how to create a shortcut on the desktop Aug 7, 2016

Right-click on the relevant program in the Start menu,
select: Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)

Michael

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Yeah, thanks ... but ... Aug 7, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Right-click on the relevant program in the Start menu,
select: Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)

Michael

Yeah, thanks ... but ... that's what I did. Meanwhile I found out how to solve my problem. I had to move the .lnk (the shortcut) to:

Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 17.19.07

Now it's visible on Windows 10's Desktop but not on OS X's Desktop.

[Edited at 2016-08-07 15:24 GMT]

Claire Dodé
Claire Dodé  Identity Verified
France
German to French
I had the same and the support solved the problems within a few minutes Aug 8, 2016

Hello,
> - the software freezes or crashes for no apparent reason and has to be restarted

I had an kind of uncompability between some programms on my computer. The support told me to change a little thing in memoQ and I never had the problem again.

> - WebSearch does not open - or if it does, it eats up my computers memory and blocks the whole computer

I don't use it, so I unabled it;

> - the spell check causes the program to freeze
... See more
Hello,
> - the software freezes or crashes for no apparent reason and has to be restarted

I had an kind of uncompability between some programms on my computer. The support told me to change a little thing in memoQ and I never had the problem again.

> - WebSearch does not open - or if it does, it eats up my computers memory and blocks the whole computer

I don't use it, so I unabled it;

> - the spell check causes the program to freeze

See with the support.

> - the file structure is too complicated

What do you mean by "too complicated"?

Claire
Collapse

jmutka
jmutka
United States
Local time: 11:57
Finnish to English
+ ...
help me to love memoQ Aug 8, 2016

I know that Trados is supposedly the most problematic software - but I cannot really confirm that.
memoQ
- the file structure is too complicated
- etc.

+1.

(yes, DNS-acronym is still reserved for internet name lookup...!)

background - 10+ years on trados, 2007 > 2014. 2011 is the best, as they replaced the UI with a ribbon after that. i just installed memoQ, and am trying to find my way around it as an agency is wanting to use it.

but yes - both of these apps attempt to know better than the user what he/she is working on. maybe the "project" structure is helpful for project managers, but me - i just need an xliff and a TM and maybe a termbase. while creating all sorts of useless files and packages, trados still lets me work with the files i need. whatever other files it creates i can just kill.

and - trados TM is a single file sqlite database with an engine licensed from oracle. seems to me memoQ is trying to reinvent the wheel and using some propietary database that's way bigger and split across 21 files!

neither can i find an xliff on the work files folder... i'd like to. but again, i guess memoQ is using its own splintered work file scenario and xliff only exists after export.

and yes - i hate the ribbon, it eats up my screen real-estate and does an excellent job in hiding the available options.

yes - this is a rant, as i don't (yet) have (m)any specific workflow questions yet... but would anyone have a take on how to suffer less from the messy file structure?

[Edited at 2016-08-08 09:01 GMT]

jmutka
jmutka
United States
Local time: 11:57
Finnish to English
+ ...
thanks for this - 64! Aug 8, 2016

John Fossey wrote:
To check which version of MemoQ you are using, check the process in Task Manager. If it says "MemoQ" it's 64-bit, if it's "MemoQ32" you are running the 32 bit version, which is much slower in Windows 10. If this is the case, find the 64-bit version (mine is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Kilgray\memoQ-2015\MemoQ.exe) and change your starting shortcuts to point to this file instead of the 32-bit file.[Edited at 2016-07-22 19:46 GMT]

very silly of the installation program to not ask / tell about this.

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
It's Parallels Aug 9, 2016

Cafetran.training: However, I must be doing something wrong: The shortcut that I've created is placed on the Windows Desktop, that's for sure. When I quit Windows, the shortcut is shown on the OS X Desktop too:

The shortcut to a WIN app on Mac is created by Parallels. You'd better check up on your Parallels settings.

[Edited at 2016-08-10 03:18 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
SO glad Aug 10, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:
How do you manage to stay focussed and fit, if you don't mind me asking?

Staying off-topic, I'm so glad you spelled "focussed" correctly. Oh, and thanks to everyone for reminding me why I don't use any CAT tools, which I understand are supposed to solve problems and save time.

[Edited at 2016-08-10 09:49 GMT]

Péter Tófalvi

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
different types of texts warrant different tools Aug 10, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:
How do you manage to stay focussed and fit, if you don't mind me asking?

Staying off-topic, I'm so glad you spelled "focussed" correctly. Oh, and thanks to everyone for reminding me why I don't use any CAT tools, which I understand are supposed to solve problems and save time.

[Edited at 2016-08-10 09:49 GMT]

I know you don't like 'em, but I thought I should mention that I don't think you'd be able to do the kind of work many of us CAT aficionados do, without a CAT tool, Tom. Of course, everyone is different, but when you have a highly technical project consisting of 45 separate little files, loads of repetition, etc. etc. etc. – a CAT tool just makes so much more sense. Of course, a CAT tool can also get in the way sometimes, if used on other kinds of material, such as texts that needs to flow well, be well written, etc. Sometimes it makes much more sense to just dictate the translation into MS Word. However, on this patent application I'm currently working on, you'd have to pry my CAT tool out of my dead hands before I'd trade it in for MS Word

Michael

Péter Tófalvi

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ - a rant

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »