Performance problems with MemoQ
Thread poster: Mur99
Mur99
Mur99
English
+ ...
Dec 8, 2017

Hi all,

I have been using MemoQ for about one year and currently I have installed version 8.2.

I have a core i5vPro, 16GB RAM and 128GB SSD notebook, and I have a lot of performance problems.

I work on big projects (2000+ documents opened in one single view) and the program is always very slow (big latency problems) and it is not able to complete some simple tasks, e.g. find and replace to make global changes in the documents, and I experienced a lot of cra
... See more
Hi all,

I have been using MemoQ for about one year and currently I have installed version 8.2.

I have a core i5vPro, 16GB RAM and 128GB SSD notebook, and I have a lot of performance problems.

I work on big projects (2000+ documents opened in one single view) and the program is always very slow (big latency problems) and it is not able to complete some simple tasks, e.g. find and replace to make global changes in the documents, and I experienced a lot of crashes, loosing a lot of time.

I really don't know if this is due to my computer or if MemoQ has such critical programming problems.

Could you please help me understand and maybe suggest me some hints to optimize the program?
Thank you very much!
Collapse

Cristina Feletto

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Mur99
Mur99
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
just one Dec 9, 2017

I have a lot of documents opened at the same time as I am working on big manuals updates. Each document (belonging to the same project) can have only a few segments to translate, but I have to keep all opened, even to make global changes in the whole manual.
A common translation scenario I guess..
So please don't call me dishonest.
Dishonest is who sells softwares not working for basic features you pay for.

Mario Freitas

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:05
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@ William - all the files are in a single project Dec 9, 2017

William Tierney wrote:

If you have 1000 documents open at the same time, you're the one with the problem, not memoQ. Don't take so much work at the same time, it is dishonest to your clients.

William, Mur99 stated in the post that all (up to 2000) of the files are in a view within a *single* project.
This isn't unheard of - I've done projects in Trados with several hundred files, mostly small "modules" of manuals or brochures for complex that then get mixed and matched depending on the the customer's options.

MemoQ is indeed slow with large projects - often it simply cannot keep u with speed with which I can confirm segments with CTRL - ENTER and I find it running 10 or 15 segments behind and/or taking several seconds to confirm a segment and move to next. Not sure what causes it, though restarting the computer sometimes helps.

I haven't noticed this kind of general slowness with Trados, though that software has its own quirks, e.g. painfully slow autopropagation where there are a lot of matching segments, although MemoQ handles this instantly.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Moderators please! Dec 10, 2017

William Tierney wrote:
If you have 1000 documents open at the same time, you're the one with the problem, not memoQ. Don't take so much work at the same time, it is dishonest to your clients.

I have called for moderator action on this comment. It unjustly and unjustifiedly accuses another person of dishonesty! This is completely out of the way!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Recreate the view? Dec 10, 2017

Last week we had a problem with a view that was terribly slow. Deleting the view and creating it again fixed the issue. If this does not work, you could perhaps try to divide the job in several smaller views.

If you want the view to benefit from repetition propagations, you can create a temporary view containing only the repetitions (ask how if you don't know how to do it), translate that, and then create a new view with only the pending parts. I suspect that your project has many s
... See more
Last week we had a problem with a view that was terribly slow. Deleting the view and creating it again fixed the issue. If this does not work, you could perhaps try to divide the job in several smaller views.

If you want the view to benefit from repetition propagations, you can create a temporary view containing only the repetitions (ask how if you don't know how to do it), translate that, and then create a new view with only the pending parts. I suspect that your project has many small repeated items that could be dealt with with a view of repetitions, thus reducing the size of the view of the rest and increasing performance.
Collapse

Mur99
Mur99
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Dec 10, 2017

Hi Tomàs and LEXpert,

first of all thank you very much for your reply and for calling the moderator...being unjustly accused this way is really unbelievable and unacceptable!!

Anyway, I tried to delete and recreate the view but I did not solve the problem.

In the past I used to create a number of smaller views, but it took me a lot of time more to complete jobs, and I would definitely need to be able to work on a single view of the whole project.
... See more
Hi Tomàs and LEXpert,

first of all thank you very much for your reply and for calling the moderator...being unjustly accused this way is really unbelievable and unacceptable!!

Anyway, I tried to delete and recreate the view but I did not solve the problem.

In the past I used to create a number of smaller views, but it took me a lot of time more to complete jobs, and I would definitely need to be able to work on a single view of the whole project.

It would be great if you could give me a brief explanation on how to create a temporary view containing only the repetitions to try to reduce the performance decrease.

I really hope Kilgray can finally solve this problem because even with last updates the situation is the same than the first version I started to work on one year ago.

Thank you again!
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to create a view for repetitions only Dec 11, 2017

Mur99 wrote:
It would be great if you could give me a brief explanation on how to create a temporary view containing only the repetitions to try to reduce the performance decrease.

Sure! It is easy enough. It is all though the Advanced view:
1. Select all documents (or, if you have the Structure enabled, choose the root folder in your set of files).
2. Right-click and choose Create view.
3. Click the link "Advanced options". Give the view a name.
4. Enable Minimum frequency and make sure the scroll number shows at least 2 (you can create views for items repeated very many times by choosing a higher number here).
5. Disable the Keep duplicates box.
6. Click OK.

This creates a view that a) contains anything that is repeated at least 2 times (or a higher number of times, if you chose so) and b) does not contain all the repetitions, but the first instance only. By translating this view, if your documents contain very many repetitions, you get rid of all repeated items in one go.

After dealing with repetitions, is then time to deal with anything else:
1. Select all documents (or, if you have the Structure enabled, choose the root folder in your set of files).
4. In the Filter by segment status box, choose the Status tab.
5. Check the boxes for all segments that are not confirmed (at least Not started and Edited).
6. Click OK.

This creates a view containing all items that are not confirmed, i.e. in essence anything that was not done when you translate the repetitions.

Play around with the different options and see the results. You can use views for many things!

I hope this helps a bit.

Omer faruk apak

Mur99
Mur99
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you!! Dec 12, 2017

Thank you very much for your precious help!!

Kind regards!

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
It is just amazing how people are proned to be agressive without giving a second thought!! Dec 15, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

I have called for moderator action on this comment. It unjustly and unjustifiedly accuses another person of dishonesty! This is completely out of the way!

Well done, Tomás!

Omer faruk apak
Omer faruk apak  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:05
Member (2018)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Thanks a lot!! Nov 17, 2018

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Mur99 wrote:

Sure! It is easy enough. It is all though the Advanced view:
4. Enable Minimum frequency and make sure the scroll number shows at least 2 (you can create views for items repeated very many times by choosing a higher number here).
5. Disable the Keep duplicates box.
6. Click OK.

This creates a view that a) contains anything that is repeated at least 2 times (or a higher number of times, if you chose so) and b) does not contain all the repetitions, but the first instance only. By translating this view, if your documents contain very many repetitions, you get rid of all repeated items in one go.

After dealing with repetitions, is then time to deal with anything else:
4. In the Filter by segment status box, choose the Status tab.
5. Check the boxes for all segments that are not confirmed (at least Not started and Edited).
6. Click OK.

This creates a view containing all items that are not confirmed, i.e. in essence anything that was not done when you translate the repetitions.

Play around with the different options and see the results. You can use views for many things!

I hope this helps a bit.

You are awesome. It simplified the whole thing. Thanks a lot!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Performance problems with MemoQ

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »