error : several consecutive whitespaces
Thread poster: Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:27
English to Spanish
Jan 26, 2018

I get the error : several consecutive whitespaces when saving a segment and I don't know why, since the spaces are also on the source.

this is the segment in question (source above and target below):

Francisca van der Veen
Francisca van der Veen
English to Dutch
+ ...
Normal Jan 26, 2018

Several consecutive whitespaces are considered an error, no matter if they are there in the source as well. So if you know that they are there with a purpose (for example because they were there in the source), just ignore the message. Probably you can turn this feature off in the QA settings.

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps it could be posiible that ... Jan 26, 2018

the whitespaces on the source are in fact tab characters. How can I insert tab characters on the target ?
(not directly with the tab key, since this key toggles between the source and target)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:27
Danish to English
+ ...
MemoQ suggestion to avoid that ignored Jan 26, 2018

Francisca van der Veen is right. I wouldn't switch off this QA check, though, as it is generally useful. You can choose to ignore all similar QA alerts in one go on the QA results screen.

About a couple of years ago I suggested to the MemoQ team to make this check more intelligent, so that it isn't triggered in situations like this, where the consecutive white spaces are in the source already, although some instances could be errors in the source. With some intelligent logic, it oug
... See more
Francisca van der Veen is right. I wouldn't switch off this QA check, though, as it is generally useful. You can choose to ignore all similar QA alerts in one go on the QA results screen.

About a couple of years ago I suggested to the MemoQ team to make this check more intelligent, so that it isn't triggered in situations like this, where the consecutive white spaces are in the source already, although some instances could be errors in the source. With some intelligent logic, it ought to be possible to reduce the number of irrelevant white space alerts.

However, as with every other suggestion submitted to Kilgray, it has been ignored.
Collapse

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
How can I .... Jan 26, 2018

insert tab characters on the target ? (not possible with the tab key)

Robert Schünemann
Robert Schünemann
Germany
Copying tags from source into target Jan 26, 2018

Usually, if there are tabs in the source text like in your example, you can carry over the tabs (applies to all tags) by pressing F9.
If there is no tab in memoQ in the source, I doubt that there is one (correctly set) in the original source file format.

However, should you need to insert an additional tab into the target instead of several consecutive whitespaces you can highlight the red tab tag in the source, copy it and paste it into the target.
(This way, you'll get
... See more
Usually, if there are tabs in the source text like in your example, you can carry over the tabs (applies to all tags) by pressing F9.
If there is no tab in memoQ in the source, I doubt that there is one (correctly set) in the original source file format.

However, should you need to insert an additional tab into the target instead of several consecutive whitespaces you can highlight the red tab tag in the source, copy it and paste it into the target.
(This way, you'll get rid of the "consecutive whitespaces" QA message, but instead one reagrding "number of tags is different in source and target" will appear.)
Collapse

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
how do you highlight the red tab tag in the source ? Jan 26, 2018

Connect4 wrote:

(This way, you'll get rid of the "consecutive whitespaces" QA message, but instead one reagrding "number of tags is different in source and target" will appear.)

rsch
rsch  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
Copying tags Jan 27, 2018

Dear Angel,
My apologies, I accidentally commented from the company's account yesterday.
Apparently, copying something from source into target manually is only possible in the memoQ Project Manager edition.

As a workaround, you could copy the tab tags with F9 into target and highlight and copy a tag in the target.

However, my experience is that memoQ's tag recognition is quite good, so I still wonder if the tab is set correctly in the source file in the orig
... See more
Dear Angel,
My apologies, I accidentally commented from the company's account yesterday.
Apparently, copying something from source into target manually is only possible in the memoQ Project Manager edition.

As a workaround, you could copy the tab tags with F9 into target and highlight and copy a tag in the target.

However, my experience is that memoQ's tag recognition is quite good, so I still wonder if the tab is set correctly in the source file in the original format in your example.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ctrl + Insert - copy the whole segment and just translate the source text Jan 27, 2018

Hi Angel,

An easy solution is just to press Ctrl + Insert and it will copy the whole segment from the source to the target. Then translate over the source text ("Job profile", in your present case).
Similarly you can just highlight the "tab" space or a tag, or whatever you want to copy from the source text, and press Ctrl + C to copy it, and then Ctrl + V to paste it into the target segment.

By the way, I don't think F9 inserts "tab" spaces as suggested by rsch, i
... See more
Hi Angel,

An easy solution is just to press Ctrl + Insert and it will copy the whole segment from the source to the target. Then translate over the source text ("Job profile", in your present case).
Similarly you can just highlight the "tab" space or a tag, or whatever you want to copy from the source text, and press Ctrl + C to copy it, and then Ctrl + V to paste it into the target segment.

By the way, I don't think F9 inserts "tab" spaces as suggested by rsch, it only inserts "TAGS"... ;@)
Collapse

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I did that, and the error persists Jan 28, 2018

Neil Ashby wrote:

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
MQ Warnings Jan 28, 2018

Angel Llacuna wrote:

... the error persists

As Francisca was saying: "Several consecutive whitespaces are considered an error, no matter if they are there in the source as well." So, for instance, since you seem to have a lot of consecutive white spaces between the "rpr" tags in your source, you'll still be getting the "several consecutive whitespaces" warning.

Quoting Thomas, "You can choose to ignore all similar QA alerts in one go on the QA results screen", although that means you would be ignoring both false positives and "real" instances of that issue.

Plus, I would advise against replacing simple white spaces with other characters, as that would not only just generate a different type of warning, but, more importantly, because in so doing you would be creating a discrepancy between source and target.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:27
English to Russian
If you consider it worthy Jan 29, 2018

you can convert your spaces into tags. For example, if you have 5 consecutive spaces everywhere, use Regex Tagger to tell memoQ to replace 5 consecutive spaces with one tag.
However, memoQ normally shows tabs as tags by default. How come that tabs from original now turned into spaces in memoQ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

error : several consecutive whitespaces

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »