One single line in a document crashes memoQ - why?
Thread poster: Hans Näslund (X)
Hans Näslund (X)
Hans Näslund (X)
Sweden
Local time: 07:25
German to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 11, 2018

I’m having a strange experience with a memoQ translation: On line 650 in a document of 734 lines, memoQ (v 8.3) crashes over and over again. If I skip this line, the rest of the document works fine. Why is this?

I am getting the following error messages:

memoQ has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

memoQ warning: MemoQ.exe - Application E
... See more
I’m having a strange experience with a memoQ translation: On line 650 in a document of 734 lines, memoQ (v 8.3) crashes over and over again. If I skip this line, the rest of the document works fine. Why is this?

I am getting the following error messages:

memoQ has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

memoQ warning: MemoQ.exe - Application Error
The exception (0xe0434352) occurred in the application at location 0X777892FC.

When I click OK, memoQ crashes. In several cases, memoQ also just disappears without any error messages.

What can I do?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An embedded object? Feb 11, 2018

I had this three or four years ago with one job. I do not remember the details anymore, but from the top of my head I think it was because it was either a document with embedded Office objects and memoQ did not like one of them, or because it was an OCR-ed document made out of a bitmap document and the OCR software created an awkward set of objects.

If you have access to the source document and can reload it, you could try looking for the offending line and seeing whether it has any
... See more
I had this three or four years ago with one job. I do not remember the details anymore, but from the top of my head I think it was because it was either a document with embedded Office objects and memoQ did not like one of them, or because it was an OCR-ed document made out of a bitmap document and the OCR software created an awkward set of objects.

If you have access to the source document and can reload it, you could try looking for the offending line and seeing whether it has any anchors nearby or any embedded object in the proximity. You could perhaps delete the anchored/embedded object temporarily and reimport into memoQ. Once the translation is finished, you can paste in the object again from your original source document.

I hope this helps a little bit, in case this was the cause.
Collapse

Hans Näslund (X)
Hans Näslund (X)
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - but no... Feb 12, 2018

Thank you for your explanation - but that did not help: I only have access to an Excel file, where this line looks perfectly normal.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh! Feb 12, 2018

Hans Näslund wrote:
Thank you for your explanation - but that did not help: I only have access to an Excel file, where this line looks perfectly normal.

If it is an Excel file, have you tried copying the contents of the file to a new Excel file? It could be that the Excel file is either outdated or has some internal flaw that prevents it from being processed correctly in memoQ. If copying the whole file to a new file does not help, try copying the contents before and after the offending line, leaving the offending line (and the lines before and after) empty.

Hans Näslund (X)
Hans Näslund (X)
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem unexpectedly solved Feb 12, 2018

Thank you - I might try that next time this happens.

But for now, the problem is solved: When running the memoQ QA function, it was possibole to open and edit the row that had made memoQ crash.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One single line in a document crashes memoQ - why?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »