Force dropdown list display when multiple full matches in the "Translation results"
Thread poster: Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 09:23
German to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2018

Although there are at least two full matches for a term shown in the "Translation results", the first term is "often" inserted directly in the target segment.
This has two problems:
1. If I do not check the "Translation results", the wrong term may be selected
2. If I detect that the "wrong" term has been selected, I have to delete it -> this normally results in the list of matches being displayed.

Is there some way to force a dropdown list display for multiple fu
... See more
Although there are at least two full matches for a term shown in the "Translation results", the first term is "often" inserted directly in the target segment.
This has two problems:
1. If I do not check the "Translation results", the wrong term may be selected
2. If I detect that the "wrong" term has been selected, I have to delete it -> this normally results in the list of matches being displayed.

Is there some way to force a dropdown list display for multiple full matches?
Collapse

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:23
English to Russian
+ ...
Translation results Oct 29, 2018

Hello there. In my case, MemoQ selects the longest term while ordering the term base hits primarily by rank and metadata. The way I use to select the required term is the following:
1. In the "Translation results" tab Right click on the term use want to exclude from use. 2. Click "View/Edit", then
3. At the Target side go to the tab "Usage" and
4. Check the "Forbidden term" checkbox.
5. Click "OK".
This will exclude the edited term from insertion but will keep it
... See more
Hello there. In my case, MemoQ selects the longest term while ordering the term base hits primarily by rank and metadata. The way I use to select the required term is the following:
1. In the "Translation results" tab Right click on the term use want to exclude from use. 2. Click "View/Edit", then
3. At the Target side go to the tab "Usage" and
4. Check the "Forbidden term" checkbox.
5. Click "OK".
This will exclude the edited term from insertion but will keep it in the termbase, so you won't need to delete the translation required now to use another.
For the case of large and often projects you can create a duplicate termbase where you forbid usage of some terms and allow usage of other terms, as well as create the second term base where usable and forbidden terms will be the opposite.
See the picture below:
http://prntscr.com/lblzvq

Good luck there. Let me know if it was helpful.

P.S. The forbidden term wil be displayed in the Translation results and you will be able to insert it manually if required.
See the picture below:
http://prntscr.com/lbm06y

Hope this will help. Take care.
Collapse

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:23
English to Russian
+ ...
Translation results Oct 29, 2018

Just realizerd that there is a straight answer to your question:))

Yes there is some sort of dropdown:
1. In the upper Ribbon open the tab "Translation"
2. Click "Translation settings"
3. Open "Predictive typing and Auto Pick"
4. The predictive typing should be Enabled. Then
5. Place the cursor in the required position and press "Control". This will pop up the list of suggested terms that might be inserted in this position.
5a. If you want to ch
... See more
Just realizerd that there is a straight answer to your question:))

Yes there is some sort of dropdown:
1. In the upper Ribbon open the tab "Translation"
2. Click "Translation settings"
3. Open "Predictive typing and Auto Pick"
4. The predictive typing should be Enabled. Then
5. Place the cursor in the required position and press "Control". This will pop up the list of suggested terms that might be inserted in this position.
5a. If you want to change the term you could use the shortcut Shift+Ctrl+Arrow to highlight the term(s) you want to change and then use insertion. This will lower the amount of time required.

http://prntscr.com/lbm1pl
Collapse

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 09:23
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Matches list Oct 29, 2018

Thanks for your feedback.
Unfortunately, the "Show suggestions in list only" option which would solve my problem results in nothing being displayed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Force dropdown list display when multiple full matches in the "Translation results"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »