How does joining segments affect other translators working on exported data?
Thread poster: kd42
kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 11:50
English to Russian
Oct 30, 2019

Good day,

A team of translators are working on one big file in a server project (pardon my terminology, I barely know MemoQ), each translator has his specific part, they all work outside MemoQ on bilingual Trados documents which they use to update the data on the server.

The original has many unnecessary hard returns which split the sentences, so it is necessary to join the segments and get coherent translations and TUs.

However, it is not clear how this i
... See more
Good day,

A team of translators are working on one big file in a server project (pardon my terminology, I barely know MemoQ), each translator has his specific part, they all work outside MemoQ on bilingual Trados documents which they use to update the data on the server.

The original has many unnecessary hard returns which split the sentences, so it is necessary to join the segments and get coherent translations and TUs.

However, it is not clear how this is going to affect other translators.

What happens if Translators 1 and 2 export bilingual data and work, then Translator 1 comes across a segment broken by a hard return, merges it in MemoQ, exports an updated version of the bilingual file for his work? Is MemoQ going to be able to recognize the data of Translator 2 and use it to update from bilingual, or some additional action will be required?

I know that we can try it, I thought someone already has.

Thank you for your help and any advice that you might consider useful.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@KD Oct 30, 2019

kd42 wrote:
I barely know MemoQ.

I don't know it either, but Google said:
https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009966540-Using-splitting-and-joining-segments-in-packages-from-online-projects

Is that relevant to your question?

kd42 wrote:
A team of translators are working on one big file in a server project. Each translator has his specific part. They all work outside MemoQ on bilingual Trados documents which they use to update the data on the server.

Do you mean that the translators work on SDLXLIFF files? Where do they get these SDLXLIFF files?

Or, what do you mean by "bilingual Trados documents"?

[Edited at 2019-10-30 12:24 GMT]

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Will have to try Oct 30, 2019

Thanks, Samuel

The info in the KB is relevant, thanks a lot, but it is outdated and/or hard to comprehend, so the translators will have to try.
Hopefully, it will be possible to import only a part of the document affected by merging.
I wonder why MemoQ doesn't simply number the segments like Studio or Memsource does.
I also wonder why the developer is not present on this website, offering help.

The translators work on Trados-segmented documents, MemoQ
... See more
Thanks, Samuel

The info in the KB is relevant, thanks a lot, but it is outdated and/or hard to comprehend, so the translators will have to try.
Hopefully, it will be possible to import only a part of the document affected by merging.
I wonder why MemoQ doesn't simply number the segments like Studio or Memsource does.
I also wonder why the developer is not present on this website, offering help.

The translators work on Trados-segmented documents, MemoQ can export in this format.
{>SamuelСамуил
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:50
English to Russian
Workflow not clear Oct 30, 2019

Which statement is correct: "they all work outside MemoQ" (supposes they do not use memoQ) v.
"translators work on Trados-segmented documents, MemoQ can export in this format" (supposes they use memoQ)?

Using non-native xliff files is always cumbersome, not only for memoQ, and merging/splitting segments aggravate this cumbersomeness even more. Multi-translator involment is another aggravating contributor.

RE: I wonder why MemoQ doesn't simply number the segments l
... See more
Which statement is correct: "they all work outside MemoQ" (supposes they do not use memoQ) v.
"translators work on Trados-segmented documents, MemoQ can export in this format" (supposes they use memoQ)?

Using non-native xliff files is always cumbersome, not only for memoQ, and merging/splitting segments aggravate this cumbersomeness even more. Multi-translator involment is another aggravating contributor.

RE: I wonder why MemoQ doesn't simply number the segments like Studio or Memsource does.
memoQ numbers them from 1 to infinity. So does Memsource. Trados restarts numbering from 1 for each next file within a trail of translatable files. I didn't catch what is wrong with memoQ numbering.
Collapse

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Explanations Oct 30, 2019

The translators or PMs use MemoQ only as a gateway.
The translation process takes place in another environment

I don’t get the message. Using non-native xliff files is always cumbersome, the Sun rises in the East, if you drink much from a bottle marked 'poison' it is certain to disagree with you sooner or later.

RE: I wonder why MemoQ doesn't simply number the segments like Studio or Memsource does.
memoQ numbers them from 1 to infinity. So does Memsource. Trados restarts numbering from 1 for each next file within a trail of translatable files. I didn't catch what is wrong with memoQ numbering.

I meant the exported data. All the CAT tools that I know except memoQ produce an export file with numbered segments, so merging does not affect anything besides the affected segments.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
If it isn´t too late Oct 30, 2019

It would be better for one person to open the original file and get rid of the hard returns in the middle of sentences and fix any other annoying formatting issues (and share it with everyone else who will be working on those documents) before creating a project in Trados or MemoQ. I always do that! There might still be some differences in how MemoQ segments the files from Trados (after eg., p.m., colons, etc.--but this can be minimized by instructing the CATs not to divide after these things)... See more
It would be better for one person to open the original file and get rid of the hard returns in the middle of sentences and fix any other annoying formatting issues (and share it with everyone else who will be working on those documents) before creating a project in Trados or MemoQ. I always do that! There might still be some differences in how MemoQ segments the files from Trados (after eg., p.m., colons, etc.--but this can be minimized by instructing the CATs not to divide after these things), but each translator can merge them in MemoQ (if not already merged in Trados) if it makes a difference in what shows up in the translation memory for the segment.Collapse

kd42

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly my point Oct 31, 2019

MollyRose wrote:
It would be better for one person to open the original file and get rid of the hard returns in the middle of sentences and fix any other annoying formatting issues (and share it with everyone else who will be working on those documents) before creating a project in Trados or MemoQ.
Yes, of course. But it is impossible with the project in question.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@KD Oct 31, 2019

kd42 wrote:
The translators work on Trados-segmented documents, MemoQ can export in this format.

What is the file extension of these "Trados-segmented documents" files that MemoQ exports?

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
The good old Word documents Oct 31, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:
kd42 wrote:

What is the file extension of these "Trados-segmented documents" files that MemoQ exports?
The extension is *.doc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does joining segments affect other translators working on exported data?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »