Do I have to remove personal TM from project before delivery?
Thread poster: mirelei
mirelei
mirelei
Finland
Nov 8, 2019

So I feel like this might be a stupid question but I'm a translator starting out so bear with me. If I create a translation memory for my own use, store it on offline on my computer and attach it to client projects, do I have to remove it from the project before delivering the translation? It doesn't deliver my personal TM to the client if I forget to remove it, does it? Just wondering cause otherwise that seems like a big data security risk.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:07
German to English
TM stays with you Nov 8, 2019

As far as I know ...
If you're translating a package, the client will usually supply you with a TM and term base (but you may add your own as well), your return package will only contain the translation and a delivery package information file. If you translate, for example, a Word file sent as a Word file, only the translation is returned. In either case, the information in your TM is secure.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mirelei Nov 8, 2019

mirelei wrote:
I'm a translator starting out.
If I create a translation memory for my own use, store it offline and [use it in] client projects, do I have to remove it from the project before delivering the translation?

I agree that you should not deliver your own translation memory to the client, regardless of CAT tool.

I'm not a MemoQ user myself, but in many other CAT tools the return package is just a zip file with a funny file extension. If this is also true for MemoQ, you can use any unzipping tool (e.g. 7-zip) to unzip it to see what's inside it. Of course, this wouldn't apply if you're delivering directly to a server instead of delivering a "return package" file.

mirelei
mirelei
Finland
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, forgot to mention Nov 8, 2019

Oh right, I didn't think to mention that I always deliver the projects directly to the client's server (I only do translations for one agency atm). So I can't see the return package, which is why I'm so paranoid about this. I think it would make sense if I could only deliver the files that I checked out from the server regardless of whether I also use my own TM but I just want to be absolutely sure.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Nov 8, 2019

As Kevin says, the TM stays with you. The only way it could go to your client is if you send it on purpose. You can´t send it accidentally.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I have to remove personal TM from project before delivery?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »